Sterling Pond and Long Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Stowe, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

We met a group via Meetup and enjoyed seeing a new trail through someone else's guide. We just followed along on a 12.5 mile hike from Smugglers notch to Sterling pond, Madonna summit and Whitedace summit with a stop at Bear Hollow shelter. Nice hike, we met some cool hikers and then did Camels jump the next day.

As a volunteer at Barnes Camp Hiker/Visitor Center on Route 108, right on the Long Trail, when we heard hikers asking for "The Smuggler's Notch Trail" we informed them there was no trail with that name. They quickly said AllTrails said there was. However, once I saw the topo map, we knew the trail is actually a combination of trails including a 2 mile road walk. The actual trails are Sterling Pond Trail, Long Trail and then a road walk, Route 108. However, the Long Trail has been rerouted now (not showing on the AllTrails map, and crosses 108 more south, traveling across a Boardwalk, then beside Barnes Camp. This reroute of the LT adds distance (about 1 mile) to this hike is following the LT. Here is another confusing element: The old LT trail head, from 108, heading north is still open, but it is a new trail (Barnes Camp Loop Trail) and has blue blazes vs. white for LT. It connects with the LT, north after crossing the brook and hiking steeply for .2 mi. If using this trail, this trail map is okay, just be aware, it is NOT all on the LT. And, be aware, if you ask a local what the Smuggler's Notch Trail is, they likely will not have a clue what you are talking about, as this loop is not called that. It is called by the actual trail names.

Loved it . It was challenging and fun.

Nice trail with some terrific views, we met lots of people hiking or skiing on the trail, also three groups of ice climbers in the notch, nice relaxing day in the notch highly recommend.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Nice trail. Met a lot of people with their dogs. Beautiful day for a hike like this one. Some great views once you get to the top. If you don't want to meet a lot of people don't go here.

Friday, June 10, 2016

Great hike but I would NOT rate it as easy, at least not if you end up on the Long Trail on the way home (especially on a rainy day in June). Wear waterproof boots for sure as you walk through a lot of streams and I even had to wade through a shallow river at the end. Also wear warmer clothes than you might expect as it was windy and much colder at the top. I recommend getting to the pond and then going back on the pond trail if you want an easy hike, otherwise it is quite long (and seemed to take me more than the 5 miles states) but really good and with great views! There is actually a trail that takes you to a vista off the long trail as well, with a great view. Otherwise, I found the portion connecting the Long Trail to the highway to walk back was not a marked trail for a part of it but if I followed the map closely I could almost "bushwack" back. All in all, it was definitely a great and challenging hike.

Sunday, October 04, 2015

I'm using this trail because its closest to Bingham Falls. Well apparently they are related but Bingham falls can actually be found about 2 miles down the road. The hike is easy. Except when you are closer to the falls where you need to hike down some steepness. But you'll be ok if you're careful. People swim here. I jumped from the top of the falls. Which I wouldn't recommend if you don't know how. I landed in the water wrong lololololol but it's absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to go back in a few weeks.

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Nice hike but can get crowded because it's right at the summit of the Stowe-Smuggler's Notch road, where lots of tourists stop. Good workout for all levels and ages of hikers

Friday, October 06, 2017