Sherburne Pass Trail to Pico Peak is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Killington, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

Parking Lot: Sherburne Pass Trailhead off Route 4 is just past the Pico ski area heading east from Rutland, VT. It is just beyond the Brad Mead road on the left side of the road. It is free to park here.

Hiked this trail a few days ago and there was a LOT of mud but we kept going to the summit. My husband and I have been doing mainly moderate rated hikes during the few months we have been in VT so wanted to try our hand at a Hard rated hike. Some of the moderate hikes we have done were more difficult than this one (Mt.Ascutney for example) but with that said, the last half mile or so to the summit and back down was hard. If you were to go only to the point where there is an open area and you run into the service road for the first time (maybe 2 mile mark) and no further, I would rate this as a true moderate hike. And there is a lovely view at that point. This is also where we could not figure out the next part of the trail ( the blue blaze is to your left on a lone tree in the middle of an open batch) and wasted time going up the service road. Once we got back on track, we entered a lovely forest setting which felt ancient and a bit creepy and that led us to the cabin where we met a young gal into mile 100 of her LT journey. That is where the path goes up to the summit and you hit the service road a few more times before the true summit. In my opinion, the view at the first open area is equally as good but if you are like me and just wanna finish what you started, you will get a good workout that last push. The overall experience-muddy conditions, length of trail, moderate with hard section-resulted in a great hike. I will also add that my husband has lung issues and knee issues but did this hike. But he also had hiking poles, proper footwear and clothing. We saw several folks who had regular footwear turn around because of the mud and because they had no idea what was up ahead. Just keep in mind that this is a ski mountain. You might hear construction on the way up and there will be ski lift equipment at the top. But none of this interferes with the overall experience in my mind. I even enjoyed the mud-especially going down when I no longer cared about getting dirty!

Love this app and this place there was a coyote

Great hike...trail was nice and dry! Couldn't imagine doing this when it's wet!
Parked at Pico, hiked up to the top, then took this trail back to Trailhead at Inn at Long Trail...walked back to Pico...7.3 miles.
Hiked with my ski poles, highly recommended!

Crossed paths with many people on the way up and down, covering all skills and fitness levels. The reward is the view and an appreciation for a beautiful part of the planet - and so accessible. I rarely hike with a walking stick but chose to on this day - the best decision! I was ever so grateful for the walking stick in the wet conditions on the way down.

Fun and easy hike with great views at the top. I did this in combination with Killington Peak for my NEHH, the trail to Pico is fairy direct but doesn’t gain a lot of elevation, so it’s quite easy, especially compared to hikes in the Whites. As with most trails in Vermont, it was pretty muddy for a couple sections, especially with the recent rains. After the switchbacks you pass a cool cabin with a couple of bunks, as well as lots of thru hikers names carved in the walls. From there the trail climbs quite steeply to the peak, but with no technical sections at all. The summit has great views of Killington and the Southern Green Mountains. If you want to continue on to Killington like I did, it’s just a few easy miles on the Long Trail with virtually no elevation gain until you reach Killington Spur. The peak is spectacular and definitely worth visiting if you want something longer.

I completed this hike in the first week of June, starting at the Appalachian/Long Trailhead located on Hwy 4 rather than at the Shelburne Pass Trailhead. Although the hike ascent is a bit longer than the Shelburne trail, I believe it is much easier, gentle swaybacks with a beautiful path along the Long trail through mixed forest. Starting early will give you a great head start to the day arriving at PICO peak around 10:30 -11:00 at a steady 30 min/mile pace. Once you arrive at Jungle Junction simply follow the old AT trail to the service road and take the road up until you see blue flash for the 0.7 mile climb to the summit. The views from the top are a nice 360 vantage-- although the towers and ski equipment take away from the overall experience. Be careful of the porcupines-- they are having a problem with overpopulation on the summit. Make sure you leash your dogs otherwise your hiking trip might turn into a nightmare if your pooch decides to tangle with one. have fun!

Nice moderate hike, up to the top. We had lots of ice and were glad we brought poles to help support.
We took the ski runs down, which led to a 0.4mile walk to our car, but it would have been too dangerous going back down the trail with that slick ice.

Absolutely gorgeous winter hike! I went with a local friend who hikes this trail frequently. The trail was still very well marked aside from the very top .5 mile where it crosses some ski runs. I would say it is mostly of moderate difficulty, with only the top section being "hard". As always in winter be prepared with plenty of layers, it got quite warm in the forest on this sunny March day but at the summit we needed our heavy coats. We needed poles and wore Yak Tracks or similar traction devices the entire hike, switching to actual spikes/crampons once at the cabin as from then on the trail is solid ice.

Watch out for stray skiers and have fun!

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Love it! Great for all experience levels!

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Love it! Great for all experience levels!

Sunday, October 01, 2017

A nice hike and at the top is was beautiful. I definitely wouldn't call this a hard hike compared to other hikes marked hard. I would give it a moderate. But all in all it was a good hike!

Sunday, September 24, 2017

This was a nice hike through the woods with a few open areas as you crossed the ski trails. There was nice views from the summit but there’s construction going on up there. I would rate this as moderate and not hard, but overall it was a good hike.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Most of the trail is pretty easy as far as hiking mountains go. It does get steep in one section near the top. It also gets confusing as the trail isn't well marked in spots near the top. The best view I found was at the top of the lift.

Monday, September 11, 2017

First, let me say that while difficulty is certainly an individual evaluation, based on factors such as fitness level, and strength, this trail does not fit the hard profile in terms of comparison to other trails with hard rating I have followed. I would instead place it solidly in the middle of moderate, with just a few spots deserving a rating at the high end of the moderate spectrum. That being said, here is a review from my perspective.

It was a perfect day for the hike, with mostly clear skies, and forecast high of 70 degrees. I arrived at the parking area around 10am and found plenty of room to park.

The trail kicks off with a bit of moderate steepness, but once that is out of the way, there is a long stretch of gradual ascent that is for the most part easy to follow. Stick to the obvious trail marked by light blue paint marks on the trees until you reach the first ski slope.

Once there you can either head directly up the slope to the summit, a fairly steep and exposed hike, or you can a hook a hard left as you come out of the trees, and move just 50 yards or so up the slope to another left that puts you back on the trail through the woods, following the path to Pico Camp.

Stick the well worn, but narrow trail, until you see the cabin on your right. At that point, turn hard right, passing in front of the entrance door to the cabin, and you will see a sign indicating an additional .4 of a mile to the summit.

This was the steepest part of the whole hike. Continue following the light blue trail marks. You will exit the trees at one point on a service road. The trail continues immediately across that road for the final approach to the summit.

You will be rewarded with some nice views at the summit, although its somewhat crowded with ski lifts and communications equipment, but that is to be expected on any of the ski mountains. Fortunately, the ski lift does not run during the off season, so the summit is generally not as busy as Killington, although at around 200' shorter, the view isn't quite as nice either. Still way worth the effort though!

Watch you step on the way down, as many of the rocks and roots are quite slippery, and be certain to look up at Dear Leap (the cliff face in front of you as you exit the trail into the parking lot). You may spot some more daring types trad climbing their way up to the top!

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Great hike! Took the dogs with me and they loved it! I don't think this was a hard hike, matter a fact pretty easy. Recommend it for anyone! Great views!

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Nice hike. Worth the views.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Great hike with great views.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Solid hike. Pretty mellow until you hit the ski trails, then the steeps begin. Final half mile is seriously steep; hands necessary up and down. Cool views. Easier summit than Equinox.

Monday, May 15, 2017

This is my first year hiking. I set out on this trail at 4:30pm on May 14th. Weather at trail head was 46 degree with a over cast. However I want to climb the peak. I was moving at about 900 steps pre ten minutes. Trail was well marked, one of the best I've seen this year. However it was muddy and super wet. About half way up there was snow, and it gets steep in spots. Like crawling steep only in spots do to all the rain and snow the trail was a brook. I see now why the green mountain clubs state trail closed until Morial day. However I don't listen and did it anyway. Weather changed quick at top of Mountain. Due to wet feet I walked service road back to bottom. I didn't like that it's a ski and cell phone gig. But it was nice and the closes I've been to 4000 feet yet. So much over cast I could get good picture. Deer leap loop is better hike for view !! Be well and see you on the trails, namaste!!

Monday, October 10, 2016

This was a very beautiful but difficult hike, exactly what we were looking for.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Nice hike through hardwoods then pine to Pico Peak. Everything in Vermont is just lovely.

Friday, September 16, 2016

Great trail.

Monday, September 12, 2016

great hike! little mouse, 2 garter snakes, many quick squirrels, and a beautiful view. climbed up the gondola tower, so windy!

Monday, September 05, 2016

We accidentally took this hike looking for Deer Leap Trail....whoops.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Beautiful but really buggy.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

I always enjoy this hike, however dog owners pack a lot of water for your dog since it is a dry trail. Beware of porcupines they are everywhere here!!

Saturday, January 09, 2016

Amazing views. Worth it!

Thursday, August 06, 2015

The hike was great through the woods and well marked. The view was decent but somewhat blocked by cell towers and ski lifts - doesn't feel too rustic at the top...

Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Easy to follow-winter hike :)

Monday, May 25, 2015

Nice, rough but nice! The view was worth the squeeze