Owlshead Mountain Trail

Owlshead Mountain Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Peacham, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Did this yesterday with my mother and her dog and my new puppy. Great hike, super easy for my puppy to keep up and easy enough I went barefoot. Definitely need to remember bug spray next time though! Mostly under tree coverage so we didn't burn, which is always nice.

Views at the top are fantastic! Mostly flat; climb up doesn't begin until last 1/4 mile. Good for dogs too.

7/11/17
I took my 3 year old out today, she had a blast. Bugs were a little on the hungry side so you may want to bring a little bug repentant. Always a fun hike!

We hiked Owl's Head on Jan 27 2017. It was beautiful following a recent snowstorm. It was very cold when we reached the top and exposed to the wind. We took pictures quickly and returned to tree cover.

Hiked this a couple weeks ago with my mother. Foliage was at peak and absolutely beautiful! The view was literally breathtaking.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Beautiful short hike. Great views!

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Parked at the north parking area and hiked the multi-use trails through the forest to link up with the Owl's Head trail south of New Discovery campground. This made an otherwise very short hike into an enjoyable walk through the woods ending in a very gentle climb to Owl's Head. The summit is nicely developed with a picturesque stone stair. Encountered several remarkably large toads in the forest as well as a snowshoe hair near the top of the mountain. Some yellow and white birches noticeably older than the surrounding trees punctuate the otherwise uninterrupted walk through the forest.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Sunday, March 13, 2016

We took the new discovery trail which is 1.5 miles. We went in March, still ice on the rocks, had to go off trail to make it to the top.

Tuesday, March 08, 2016

As a hiking trail you can find better exercise on many other trails around Groton unless you're looking for a short ascent. The treasure of this hike is the overlook at the top. And the star of the show is the view of Kettle Pond. If you're a photographer this is one of those iconic Vermont images you should have in your album. Plan on being there around sunset.

I did this trail in the winter to specifically capture a white Kettle Pond at sunset. My winter hike made the entire walk about a mile. The first time I tried to do it the access road was covered in ice and my truck started sliding in park. Needless to say, I didn't hike it that day. A few days later, after some snow accumulation, I tried it again with great success. The plow truck pushed a pile against the access gate, so I had to walk from 232 up. Crampons helped significantly because there was still a lot of ice beneath the new snow.

Obviously a winter ascent can require more skill than the summer version. There are 3 short sections where things could be slippery due to the steepness that would make me hesitant to bring a toddler or elderly person. But I would think anyone who doesn't need assistance walking could tackle this trail.

Tuesday, December 01, 2015

I wouldnt say this trail is good for all skill levels. Its a short trail but gets pretty steep and some climbing is needed, fyi

Wednesday, September 02, 2015