Okemo Mountain via Healdville Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mt. Holly, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rails trails

I hiked this on a cool sunny day. The trail was generally easy to follow. I did have one issue near the bottom where there is a fork in th trail. Perhaps the other trail signs are a different color but for a colorblind guy they looked the same. I got back on the right trail easily enough and made decent time. The trail is moderate overall. There was a bit of mud in some places with the rain and freezing that we have had. Near the top there was snow and ice in the trail. The views from the fire tower were amazing though. I took a little detour to the top of the chair lift and sat in the sun to enjoy a break and a snack. Overall a great hike.

great trail! well worth the hike.

I have been hiking this trail for nearly 20 years and it never disappoints. Did this trail up and down with 20 lbs in my pack to prepare for trip in the Whites. Definitely challenged me! Totally worth the effort!

Hiked this trail on a cool day-high 50s/low 60s all day-perfect hiking temp. I would agree with the moderate rating but add that it can be a tough moderate due to steepness in parts and need to watch the ground because of rocks and tree roots. But no scrambling up rocks using your hands which would make it more of a moderate/hard in my book. Lots of time to get lost in thought and enjoy the peace and quiet. Took me and my husband about 4 hours per the sign at the beginning. I will add that my hubby has some lung issues but did the hike slowly and was fine and totally enjoyed it. Spent time at the top eating lunch and climbing the fire tower. Several other small areas on the way also with views. The last mile up is the hardest and the hardest down. We really enjoyed this hike-enough of a challenge but not overly taxing in my opinion. Just be aware that you may have hiked up for 2.5 hours and find yourself at the fire tower with others who drove up the mountain!

Fantastic trail! The gorgeous views at the top are a great reward after the long hike. Today, in early August, parts of the trail closer to the summit were very muddy, so choose footwear wisely. For most of the hike, our bug repellant was adequate in keeping bugs at bay, but we stopped under a ski lift at the top and were driven away by intense swarms of gnats. Our senior dog joined us on the hike and all terrain was manageable for her. She loved the frequent crossing brook that she could wade in and drink from. The same brook runs alongside the start of the trail and features picturesque small waterfalls.

This was a nice, moderate, hike, however, when we went in late May, the flies were TERRIBLE. Do not go here without bug spray. About the hike: there is a brook running through, you see some small waterfalls, the hiking is not very steep, except near the top, and it smells like Christmas trees! The sign at the trailhead suggests 4 hours. Due to being eaten alive by flies the whole time, we did not stop for any breaks, and we were up and down in about 3 hours. I wish we would have brought bug spray and would have been able to enjoy it a little more by going more slowly and taking breaks. The view at the top of the fire tower is awesome. It was cold and windy up there, but there were no flies!

Tougher than I expected given the wet snow, well worth it for the view from the top of the fire tower!

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Great hike! Took us about 3.5 with a few stops to pet dogs and climb the watch tower. Great workout and moderate hike!

Thursday, October 05, 2017

Great Hike, not too difficult and very enjoyable! Very windy at the top of the tower but 360 views are great! We had lunch on the grass underneath the chair lift, again great views and very quiet!

Monday, September 18, 2017

Loved it! The view was absolutely amazing! The passing by views were the same. Passed by a babbling Brooke. Would not recommend this trail for small children or dogs because of the steep heights. Make sure you bring flashlights in case you get caught in the dark. Took a partner and I around six hours to finish this track while taking breaks and looking at the views. Overall wonderful!

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

The first two miles meander uphill with a good mix of flats and climbs. There are two small outlooks before you reach the main summit. The final mile is the hardest on the way up with the steepest sections and is thus the hardest part of the way down. The views from the top of the fire tower are great. For those not comfortable climbing the tower I suggest taking the short spur to the Mt. Road and taking a left to climb up to the ski lift overlook down towards town. I would not recommend this trail for dogs or young kids. Know your ability as it's essentially all uphill.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Very gradual ascent, great views from the fire tower. Trail is well maintained. Pleasant half day hike.

Friday, July 14, 2017

Clearly marked trail. Good balance of switch backs, steep and flat intervals.

Trailhead has parking at base, access is via station rd just over the train tracks, make a left.

If you only want to do one direction and are hiking with a group, someone at Okemo recommended parking 1 car at the base and 1 at the top of Okemo near the fire tower, which is where the trail end.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

It starts with a steady climb that levels out and doesn't become difficult until you're about a half mile from the top. It's a very peaceful trail and it's well-marked with blue markers. A bear did come across the path as I was coming down from the top with about 2 miles still to go. It saw me, turned around, and ran off down the path. I would just be careful and be prepared if necessary. Overall - great hike!

Monday, May 29, 2017

Perfect day hike. In late May the way is very muddy & the black flies are in full force but the air is pleasant. The Summit includes a very steep, high fire tower that must be climbed to really see the views.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Ended up hiking this on the rain. A deluge actually on the way back. But all in all it was a nice hike in late April - snow still at the top. The first mile or so was not kind (just steep) but the rest of the hike wasn't bad.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

I love this Hike❤️

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Moderate incline the whole way without many great stopping points. Nice view from the fire tower at the top but extremely buggy in late May. Our group instantly turned back around and hit up the Long Trail Brewery for a well deserved beer

Thursday, May 26, 2016

easy hike but the view was beautiful

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Went late march so some harder parts with leftover ice. Snuck into some of the unused trails on other side in Mt Okemo. Most insane way to go sledding on your rain jacket definitely recommend doing this. Trails not too hard, but not many areas for good views. Only good view is at the top in the firetower and its well worth the trip.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Completed this in several feet of snow with my dog. Beautiful views from the Fire Tower up top. If you go in early March, you won't see a soul!

Saturday, September 19, 2015

This trail is in my hometown and I've hiked it several times in different seasons...generally it's not a trail I go to when craving solitude, but the fire tower is a nice bonus! Gradual and meandering most of the way up, with a few steeper pitches.

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Very nice trail, this one will challenge some who aren't used the the hills of Vermont. Met a few at the top who were pretty pooped. Not to rough a trail in general, very well groomed, and there was some trailwork that was obviously done in the past month.
The view from the fire tower was tremendous.
This isn't a trail you hike for solitude. I met quite a few people at the trail and at the top, and it wasn't even a weekend.

Monday, August 03, 2015

Nice hike! Views from the fire tower are pretty incredible for sure!

Saturday, August 01, 2015

Okemo was the first Vermont day hike my wife and I completed after moving to the Green Mountain State.

We enjoyed reaching the fire tower, taking photos, listening to the stream, and saying hello to others on the trail.

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Wow. This was an awful tough hike for us. Our only hike prior was White Rocks in Wallingford and this was much longer and tougher on us and the kids (8,7 and 4). The little guy got a free ride on our shoulders about half of the hike up. The beautiful view was truly our drive and to me was worth the hike but I'm not so sure it was for the kids. I'd recommend this for a bit more experienced
hiker or hikers than ourselves. We were completely depleted when we got home.

Thursday, August 01, 2013

We were exhausted after this walk. Midwesterners so very strenuous although rated moderate. Beautiful shade an beautiful view at the top firetower.

Monday, July 16, 2012

I completed this hike solo yesterday and was hoping for a little challenge after completing Monadnock and Ascutney the week before. The trail is more of a leisurely hike for those who don't like very rocky trails. The 3 miles of trail up to the summit are constantly changing from steep to flat, great for a beginner or someone who's looking for something that's not hard in the joints. I got to the summit it roughly 1:15. The only downside is that the trail lacks any sights along the way. Besides a stream at the beginning you follow for a little ways and one single view point about halfway up, your surrounded by dense woods and a very well maintained dirt trail.
If your looking for something to challenge your muscles, I would look elsewhere.

Ps. Don't forget the bug spray.

Friday, June 08, 2012

If I had to guess, I'd say this trail is at least 85% ascent, which makes sense since you're hiking up 1,943 feet of elevation gain in a 3 mile distance. Look at the photos for an upclose view of the map at the trailhead.

Overall, it's a good hike to get some exercise and a nice view at the top. If you enjoy nature and walking in the woods like I do, then this hike is fine, but don't expect any wow factors between the trailhead and the summit.

CHANGE IN DIRECTIONS TO TRAILHEAD: Do not try to access the trailhead from Healdville Rd to Station Rd in a motor vehicle. The bridge on that end of Station Rd was damaged by flooding and is closed. Instead, get to the trailhead by turning onto Station Rd from Route 103. Follow that road to the end and bear left at the intersection and you'll quickly see the parking lot.

Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Hiked in late April with my Chocolate Lab. He loved it. Lots of brooks for him to splash in. The hike itself isn't that entertaining with very few areas to rest and basically no viewing areas other than the summit. Great exercise though with a endless ascent.