Mount Philo Trail

Mount Philo Trail is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Charlotte, Vermont and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

scenic driving

Directions from Vergennes, VT: At the junction of SR 22A and US 7 travel 6 miles north on US 7 to State Park Road which will be on your right. Mt. Philo State Park's contact station and trailhead are at the top of a steep road which is not recommended for trailers.

I’ve been going to the summit everyday this week. Great hike !

Perfect short hike with stunning view at top. Definitely recommend starting with the left trail option and ending via the other side of loop to get the real hiking experience going up (in this way you get the road portion at end on decline portion). Kids were sledding down the end road. Very friendly atmosphere and great/safe in the snow! Dress warm!

Beautiful view at summit

Challenging in some spots but don't turn around to head back...keep up and you will be amazed at the summit look-outs.

Easy but challenging in some spots! The view is worth it.

Certainly beautiful views at the top. Totally worth it but I disagreed with the easy rating. It was an uphill climb all the way. Granted we are not seasoned hikers - that's why we choose 'easy'. I definitely recommend but know you will be working it. It's paved all the way, lots of other hikers along the way and facilities at the top. Absolutely worth the effort.

This trail is great for those beginning to get into hiking and need some practice as well a great trip with the family. Trail is kid friendly

This trail is Easy for a hiker. Non hikers not so much I took my mom on a mini getaway and we did this. It was her first hike. She is in her 60s. Not very athletic It was a bit tough for her due to the constant uphill incline. Lots of steps and some rocks. For the non hiker I would recommend walking the gravel path for cars. Or driving. :). Mom did it and was so proud. Took several breaks but she says the view at the top was so worth it. The smile on her face was priceless :)

Not much of a challenge. Good if New to hiking and want a great view.

Fun and easy hike.

Amazing trail beautiful view at the top of the mountain. The trails were nicely groomed. It wasn't too steep and a lot of the trail was packed down with stone.

It has been pretty wet this month, so used the access road rather than the muddy trails. Great little family friendly hike with nice views.

Always a nice hike. June has been wet so the trails were muddy and a bit unsafe. We went down the road.

Still a fun easy hike - rear views do take a non-hiker and kids up. Love this trail! Did this one May 23rd with my friend Antie

Nice easy hike...beautiful view of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks.

We went late April and walked up the road that is normally used for cars. We took our 5 year and old and she did great! With that being said the road gets steep..... very steep. Once at the top it was worth it, we took snacks and drinks and enjoyed the top. The restrooms were closed at the top, thankfully our 5 year old did not have to go to the bathroom. If you pace yourself and take time to enjoy the top with kids it will be great. Next time, once the mud season is over, we will try the hiking trail and not the paved road.

Easy paved trails or backroading trails that are slightly not difficult.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Did the devils pass trail in the snow. Better have spikes but then again it was slick. Watch for bears or cats around that trail. Those were the only prints I saw on trail when I took it. I felt very foolish when I saw the tracks go into a cavern. Hence fresh tracks. Be safe. Be smart. I wasn't.

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Easy hike but fun! Great views at the top with a nice picnic area.