Mount Mansfield via Hellbrook Trail and the Long Trail

Mount Mansfield via Hellbrook Trail and the Long Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Jeffersonville, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November.

The Hell Brook trail is a fun and challenging route to 'The Chin' of Mount Mansfield (The Summit). This is the shortest and steepest but also most technically difficult route to the summit. The trail is mostly large rocks and is usually wet. This route is considerably less busy than the popular Long Trail, which also makes it nice.

The hardest I’ve done so far, but absolutely worth every step I took on that steep uphill hike! And of course, what a gorgeous view atop the Chin <3

A Great morning adventure! A fun amount of climbing and hiking. Recommend to all seeking a high intensity walk through the woods.

Super hard, super gorgeous at the top!

went end of may... spectacular view at the chin. worth the long trek and deffinitly worth making the loop. profanity trail was covered in deep snow, so watch out going down after winter time into.

Challenging and very rewarding!

Appropriately named; not a weekend warrior hike. This one is for two kinds of people; bare-chested freedom fighters or twelve year olds in Barbie shoes. Had two pretty good falls on the way down but managed to land in the fluffiest moss on this god given earth. Difficult hike, the real warriors take the Hellbrook trail on the way down, don’t be that guy doing the walk of shame on the road.

This trail is hard in all the right ways! Based on the signs we saw, from ground to summit is actually 3.6 -3.8 miles and takes about 3.5 hours. There are some fun features to explore along the way- big boulders, beautiful views, outcrops, and streams. Worth every drop of sweat.

Contrary to what it says, dogs are allowed on this trail. My Pomeranian found it a lot less challenging than us huffing-and-puffing humans did! However, there were a few near-vertical climbs she needed to be carried up, and some of the pup-kour she was doing nearly gave me a heart attack. If you do choose to bring a dog, be prepared -- they must be physically fit, confident climbers, and wearing a harness you can lift them by. Couch-potato dogs should stay home or risk serious injury or lameness.

I climbed this solo and regretted that choice. Surely this is a trail meant for company for safety’s sake. I climbed it in the rain and had very few views. This was challenging and rewarding even without the views. Do yourself a favor and add some squats and lunges to your prep leading up to this.

This is my favorite trail I have done. my previous favorite was Franconia. This however is not for the faint of heart. In saying that I am not a wildly experienced hiker and had knee surgery 5 months ago so its doable for most.

It rained a bunch yesterday so the trail was slick, but that made it more fun. This trail starts out strong from the beginning and doesn't let up until you are back at your car. At the beginning you see that it will be steep and get a great view of the water and as you move up a bit a beautiful waterfall. The early stages are fun climbing up rocks and branches. It's steep and possibly the most tiring part of the journey. There a big rocks and caves, but the fun is just beginning. As you move higher it gets harder to climb and there will be points where if you call it wouldn't be good. The steepest climbs I have ever done. It was a blast though.

Our path was up hellbrook then up and over the Adams apple where we met up with the long trail to the chin. This part getting up to the chin was insane. Your climbing straight up and if you fall you are donezo. We went over the chin, checked out a bit of sunset ridge then down the profanity trail to the hellbrook cutover. The cut over was the worst part of the whole thing. There was still some snow on top of rocks and we were worried we would fall through it. This part of the trip was far less traversed and a pain. The way down with all the water made it very slippery, but we went slow and made it with no problems.

I could not recommend this trail more and it was so rewarding when you finally finished.

When you see hell and profanity on the map you know it’ll be a great hike. Starts off steep and leads to rewarding views all along Mt. Mansfield. It started raining when we were at the top so we took the Gondola down-I wouldn’t want to go back down in a downpour. The way to the Gondola was intense enough.

Poorly marked for hiking in the snow, overall pretty challenging hike, but totally worth it at the top.

Tough but well worth it.

This is a tough climb and a tougher descent. Beautiful views

There is a reason it has the word hell in the name!Hardest trail in Vermont! Need good footwear and start early in the day. Many stops made due to the 90 degree day and no cloud cover. The trail connects into long trail at the Adam's apple cutoff.

Good workout and a fast way to the summit of Mansfield. I wouldn't recommend bringing dogs as there are a lot of steep parts and large rocks to maneuver around. It can be done but you might be giving the dog a boost in certain spots.

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Very challenging but really cool hike! The climb up was exhausting but the views at the top were worth it. The round trip took five and a half hours for my girlfriend and I - not experienced hikers but in good shape. Not sure how other people managed it in 1.5 hours! Avoid going if it's raining, there are lots of steep rock scrambles that would be very tricky if they were wet.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Great trail for a 1.5 hour hard hike. We went for sunrise and hiked the trail at 3 am. I highly suggest doing this! The chin (viewpoint top) was incredible. Very worth it!

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Challenging, fun, good views. Do it!

Friday, July 07, 2017

Super-challenging but an exhilarating quick route to the top of Mansfield. Not for the faint of heart

Monday, June 19, 2017

This is a grueling hike but fun if you are up for the challenge. It is a quick hike up to the peak of Mansfield, but you are in for a workout. There are spots where bouldering is required to continue upwards. Definitely don't descend via this trail, I like either the long trail or the cliff trail to Stowe. Basically a stair master for 1.4 hours, nothing but vertical gain

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Hiked up 6/12/17 . we were fortunate that the trail was drier than we had expected after so much rain the week before. Was a great hike up Hellbrook, across the ridge and down Hazelton. The only drawback is Hazelton dumps you out 1 mile away from the entrance to Hellbrook making you walk up RT 108 to get back to your vehicle, tremendous views and a few spots that are sketchy but nothing to intimidating as long as you plan your steps carefully.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Well-marked. Stunning views. Requires a bit of bouldering, but nothing technical. However, I recommend going back to rte 108 via the Long Trail.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Living in Vermont for many years and doing most of the hokes on this mountain, I say this one is the best. It is challenging and has rocks you have to climb. It can be wet and slick during times of the year. I suggest parking in between this trail head and the long trail start. It is advised that you take the long trail back down.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Awesome trail, but be prepared. Just because it's fall at the base there will be snow and ice (LOTS OF ICE)

Monday, October 17, 2016

Fun hike, loved it!!!!!!!

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Loved this trail!!! It was tough but was the best one I've done yet, love that you get to climb rocks ☺️

Friday, September 16, 2016