Mount Mansfield via Hellbrook Trail and the Long Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(231)
Smugglers' Notch State Park

Mount Mansfield via Hellbrook Trail and the Long Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Jeffersonville, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,683 feet Route Type: Loop

The Hell Brook trail is a fun and challenging route to 'The Chin' of Mount Mansfield (The Summit). This is the shortest and steepest but also most technically difficult route to the summit. The trail is mostly large rocks and is usually wet. This route is considerably less busy than the popular Long Trail, which also makes it nice.

Beautiful hike. You're greeted by a large waterfall at the trail head that continues for much of the hike. There are streams most of the way up. I did it in spring which is sketchy as much of the snow/ice along the trail had streams running underneath. It takes you to the small pond, Lake in the Clouds. Nice view of the Chin towering over you near the top.

Loved it. Found out about it when my EMT roommate was talking about how he had to go rescue a dude who had tumbled about a hundred feet down the trail and collapsed a lung - which was enough to convince me and another one of my roommates it would be fun. You shouldn't have too many problems if you're a confident hiker and the conditions are good, but it's definitely not something I'd take on if you're not confident in your fitness or skill level. It's fairly wet/slippery even on clear days and is steep enough that it gets moderately technical (calling it rockclimbing feels a little overkill, but you will be using your hands to scale some sections). With all that said, gorgeous and challenging hike if you're up for it, one of my favorites & highly recommended

Did with with friends in the summer and it’s sooo hard!! Bouldering and steep hills are the jist of it. Be sure to have proper equipment and water. Like lots of water

I love the views from the top, definitely recommend, a little harder but it might be one of the shortest trail to get to the top

Hard in the sense that you have to use a lot of upper body as well and climb up at some points. They even installed grab bars at some points for ppl to be able to negotiate some of the rocks. Not too long however, which offsets the difficulty somewhat, and the views atop the mountain are clearly worth it. All in all, highly recommended for ppl looking for a doable yet slightly more intense hike.

icy

The comment suggesting that this trail is 80° is blatantly false (Unless you count the 6 foot rock with a bolted ladder). I hiked it in snowy conditions and felt secure in my footing for the entire hike with one exception. Also, to call it rock climbing is an exaggeration given that it is entirely Class 3 terrain with almost nothing qualifying as Class 4 (Class 5 denotes technical climbing). That being said, there are a few places where a slip could result a fall of up to 6 feet, but these parts had plenty of rocks/roots to grab onto, making it feel secure. The one part I felt insecure in my footing was a rocky slab about three quarters of the way up, but only because it was covered in a foot of powdery snow so I couldn't see where to step. All and all, this is a very difficult trail that should be hiked only if you have considerable fitness and a knowledge of backcountry safety & planning, but many of the reviews here overstate Hellbrook's level of technical difficulty.

rock climbing

The hell brook is extremely difficult. I am not exaggerating that you are rock climbing. It is extremely steep the whole way up Id say about an 80° angle. You MUST have a good level of fitness to be able to hike this trail, and good boots with tractions because it is very wet and muddy which makes it real slippery. There were some spots I was alittle concerned for my safety because I kept slipping. Everyone who is writing a review about how "its not that bad" is talking out of their ass or didnt hike the hell brook. If youre hiking to see the chin and the adams apple I would say take the long trail up and back down. It may be a longer hike but it is not nearly as difficult as the hell brook. You have to stay humble on the Hell brook, you respect her, she'll respect you.

This is an amazing hike with lots of fun rock formations, trickling streams and scrambles. It is also great because you get beautiful views the whole way up. Be forewarned: this is a challenging hike. I was not in good shape and had to stop several times to catch my breath. Still I reached the Chin in about 2.5 hours and it is totally worth it. I did not find it as technically difficult as other reviewers made it seem. The scrambles were fun, some requiring a little thinking. But I never felt it was dangerous. Like many others, I do not recommend that you take Hellbrook back down unless you are a very experienced hiker and have trekking poles. The gondola is about 30 minutes from the Chin. You can take the gondola down or hike the switch back road or ski hill. Note: the ski hill is much harder than it looks. I will definitely do this hike again!

This is a very difficult climb, but if you are prepared for it, it can be very rewarding. I went up Hells Brook and then down on the LT and walked back up the road to my car. Trails were in reasonably good shape. Weather was spectacular. Beautiful views in all directions from the summit.

Fun trail but I would recommend Hellsbrook as an ascent. Find a different way down for knees sake.

We LOVED this hike. Anyone in decent shape that's not afraid of a lot of boulder scrambling can make it up. Definitely not as bad as some of the reviews made it seem. Only one height-scary area going up to the Chin. More like an obstacle course than a path! We took Hellbrook to Adam's Apple up to the Chin, then hiked across to Cliff Trail and took the gondola down. Would definitely suggest doing it on a dry, clear day.

This was a great trail on a beautiful day! Challenging traverse up! Excellent work out and fun scrambling. You will use your entire body. Icy at the top. We left at 10 am and summited at 12 noon. Went down cliff trail. I would take gondola down. Trail was challenging but we were never afraid of our safety.

Toute une randonnée un bon défi

That was a BADASS hike!! It takes determination and overcoming fear of heights. I don’t agree with the last turn before the summit. There should be some rebar to help pussies like me who are TERRIFIED of heights. Make sure you have great traction. Otherwise it’ll be brutal. I made out fine on a dry day (highly recommended). It’s definitely becoming a part of my annual lineup

This hike in late Sept was wonderful and with the leaves starting to turn was splended at all views. Path is well maintained,clear,full of rocks, roots and various plant life. Most difficult areas included vertical slick rock requiring caution. Overall a great hike.

Not quite as difficult as others made it out to be. You will be using 3pts of contact at many points on this trail as it is very steep, there are some rock faces which are very steep and when it is wet they would be difficult to climb, full body strength and coordination are necessary to complete this hike safely. The worst part of the hike is definitely the ascent to The Chin as the trail ends abruptly and you have to boulder with a full pack hanging over the 4K ft dropoff- but that’s technically the LT at that point, not Hellbrook. Hellbrook is tough but not anywhere near what I expected after reading the reviews. After going about 1/3 of the way up I no longer would have felt comfortable descending via hellbrook (we went down via cliff trail/hiked back to car at Big spring ~ 1.5 miles from Stowe) definitely find another way to descend. Fun hike, great views, foliage is starting to really pop!