Mount Hunger Waterbury Trail

Mount Hunger Waterbury Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Waterbury Center, Vermont that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Fun hike. Pretty steep in some spots. Great views on top. I continued East on the trail towards Middlesex and circled around to White Rock. This adds a couple miles on to the hike and you basically go down the East side and then back up. Well worth it in my opinion. Views to the East were spectacular. The climb back up to White Rock was challenging and fun. After reaching the top of White Rock you back track a bit and then take the trail heading back North to the Mount Hunger trail. Be prepared for water and mud. Have fun

Very rewarding hike! Challenging going up but not too bad going down. The view at the top is worth it (even with the fog!) Took us 3 hours 45 minutes total. The waterfall is about 1/4 of the way into the hike. The top of the mountain is very spacious- tons of room to spread out and eat/rest.

Slow ascent to begin, then gets very steep! Very rocky at the top, including some light “rock climbing”. We took our 3 dogs up to the summit; however, it may be somewhat difficult for some dogs. There is a beautiful waterfall about halfway up that the pups can swim in and you have to cross to get to the other side. The view at the top was incredible! Very fun hike!

The hike was long but well worth it....

Great trail- only my second hike and it wasn’t too bad difficulty-wise. Definitely more scrambly near the summit but well worth it and quite fun! Was a bit wet but not too buggy. Unfortunately fog blocked our views but I’ll definitely be back for more!

Awesome trail with amazing views at the top. Steep trail but well worth it. We were the only hikers at the summit

Fun and challenging trail. Great views to reward some scrambling. Good distance, won’t take you all day!

No breaks in the ascending, very rocky. The view at the top is worth the efforts. Loved it!

The view, as they say, is definitely worth the climb.

This is not for the faint of heart or couch potato. The views at the summit are worth it. With kids under 10 I suggest bringing many snacks and taking your time.

I climbed the mountain via the Middlesex trail and loved it. The distance was a little longer but well worth the trouble. Check out my full write up along with pictures and directions.

This was a challenging trail and provided for a terrific workout. I’ll be hitting this trail again!!!

I've hiked just about every major mountain in Vermont and this is by far the toughest. It might not be the highest elevation gain or the longest hike, but from the parking lot to the summit this trail goes unrelenting up at a steep incline. The second half of the trail goes up nearly 3/4 of the elevation gain over just one mile. The views are incredible and 360 degrees, just get ready to sweat to earn this one!

Some rate this as a moderately difficult hike, some as a difficult hike. Let’s say it’s moderately difficult. As with any hike when you gain roughly 1000 ft. per mile, you have to work. The upper part will require some hand over foot climbing over over some dramatic outcroppings. Efforts are rewarded by probably the best views of any mountain in Vermont, as you have views, just to the west, of Vermont’s loftiest range, Mt Mansfield, Camel’s Hump, etc. In fact you have the most expansive view of virtually all of the major mountains in the Green Mountain range. Not to mention, just to the east, views of many of the western White mountains.

The trail up took us around an hour and forty five minutes (with a few, short water breaks). It is definitely continuously steep throughout, and the second half was wet. The falls are lovely and the top was wonderful and breezy. There were definitely a lot of people on the trail today. The trip down took almost as long as the way up.

Not easy but managed up and done in 6 hours a beginner. Amazing views. Glad we did it!! Recommended.
Made it to Ben and Jerrys before they closed for the day.

This is a fantastic hike, and not just because it's only 45 minutes from Burlington. I love that while it's pretty rigorous, it's not too long of a hike -- you sweat buckets for 90 minutes and get great views at the top. My dog and I hike it several times a month, year round. Here are a few tips:

-- The trail is a bit longer than listed on this site -- 2.1 miles to the summit from the Waterbury lot.
-- It can be very busy on weekends. If you prefer solitude, head out early in the morning or in the late afternoon.
-- Hunger is a very doable hike for dogs, but be aware that there is one spot where you might have to lift your pup up a five-foot rock face, depending on how spry he/she is.
--Check out the white rock spur trail, which provides some beautiful views. It does take you considerably down hill, so don't do it if you think you won't be able to face any more uphill on the way back. The White Rock summit is a bit rocky and technical and for this reason is not easy to navigate with a dog. My energetic, acrobatic trail pup couldn't make it.
-- Winter hiking here is spectacular (assuming you have snowshoes/spikes, depending on conditions).
-- Obviously, you should stop at Ben and Jerry's on the way back to the highway for a celebratory cone.

Enjoy

Very good workout. We were sweating buckets by the time we got up. Took 67 minutes up and 60 minutes down. At the top we were pretty much rock climbing. Beaudoin views when you get to the top but the bugs were bad in middle june so bring your bug spray if you want to spend some time up there.

Nice out and back trail. There is some mild climbing towards the end. Was nice in June; clear sky with an amazing view!

A moderate trail until you get to the rock climbing parts- thats when it got tough, definitely needed to use to arms to pull myself up at times. If the rocks were wet, I imagine this would be a little treacherous, but on a dry day like today it was okay. The views from the top were outstanding. Despite this being a fairly popular hike, there are plenty of rocks at the summit to tuck yourself away and find some solitude. I spent a good 2 hours at the summit, couldn't get myself to leave! The hike up took me about 1 hour 30 mins. Will return!

This is quite a strenuous hike. I read the rating on here and thought it would be relatively easy. It was not easy, but it was well-worth the work. Took me 3 hours to get to the top, but the rocks were very wet

One of me and my pups favorites!

Strenuous but views are well worth it. Challenging without spikes/poles as the trail is still covered in snow and ice, but is doable without them. Perfect day hiking spot!

Strenuous hike but well worth the effort

Definitely recommend micro spikes and dress warm but the hike is unbelievable, love it!

Great winter hike... view at the top is amazing! Crampons or microspikes are a must!

This was a tough trail and kicked our butts. We ascended with spikes and poles. Unfortunately it was a cloudy day so we didn’t see anything from the summit. We saw a pair of hikers on the way up who told us it wasn’t that much closer to the summit and were discouraged because it still took us quite a bit longer (that was kinda mean lol).

Beautiful, difficult trail. You'll feel very accomplished when you reach the summit!

Incredible 360 view on a clear day. It was pretty icy from about half way and up, made for a challenging climb without spikes.

Trail was very icy yesterday. It would be very difficult without spikes. Once there is some real snow it should be easier. Sometimes described as very steep, we found it so only in a few places.
It was overcast, but the views were spectacular!
Mount Washington was clearly visible, as were all other peaks closer by.