Mount Hunger Waterbury Trail

Mount Hunger Waterbury Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Waterbury Center, Vermont that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Strenuous hike but well worth the effort

Definitely recommend micro spikes and dress warm but the hike is unbelievable, love it!

Great winter hike... view at the top is amazing! Crampons or microspikes are a must!

This was a tough trail and kicked our butts. We ascended with spikes and poles. Unfortunately it was a cloudy day so we didn’t see anything from the summit. We saw a pair of hikers on the way up who told us it wasn’t that much closer to the summit and were discouraged because it still took us quite a bit longer (that was kinda mean lol).

Beautiful, difficult trail. You'll feel very accomplished when you reach the summit!

Incredible 360 view on a clear day. It was pretty icy from about half way and up, made for a challenging climb without spikes.

Trail was very icy yesterday. It would be very difficult without spikes. Once there is some real snow it should be easier. Sometimes described as very steep, we found it so only in a few places.
It was overcast, but the views were spectacular!
Mount Washington was clearly visible, as were all other peaks closer by.

November 17, 2017

What a great hike! Of the many "difficult rated" hikes in the area we did this week, this the only one I would actually rate as difficult. Very vertical in the top section, hike turned to rock climb more than once. Not pedestrian at all. High winds, blowing snow and thick cloud made the summit a little inhospitable and poor visibility, but we really enjoyed the experience.

There was 9 inches of fresh snow at the top and snow and ice in all but the bottom section.

Really nice hike, beautiful 360 views at the summit and well marked trail. Currently, after you cross over the waterfall, the trail becomes very icy--crampons would of been helpful. My pup and I managed just fine by going off trail around the large icy sections.

Nice hike. Icy at the moment. Make sure to bring spikes.

Pretty wet and sloshy but in the best of ways

Great trail, a lot of fun. A little bit of scrambling at the top but not too bad. Great views on a clear day

I climbed the mountain via the Middlesex trail and loved it. The distance was a little longer but well worth the trouble. Check out my full write up along with pictures and directions.

Great challenging hike.

Great hike! The rock scrambling/climbing near the top is a bit tricky when it’s wet. We were not rewarded with a view on the day we hiked it. The entire summit was in a cloud. Even without the view, it’s a must do trail.

Fun hike, absolutely beautiful views from the top. I was there just before sunset and it was lovely. Looked like the foliage was about to get pretty nice along the trail too. Took me 1hr 15 min on the way up, and I was surprised but it took me almost just as long to get back down.

I did Camel's Hump in the morning and found that hike a lot more difficult than Mt Hunger, even though I did this one second.

Wicked hike! Steep, rocky terrain from the trailhead all the way to the top. Not for the faint of heart.

great hike. pretty steep in areas. can be slippery. tough but you are rewarded with a great view.

This trail is a workout. The climb, the boulders and the sweat are totally worth it when you get to the top. Try to pick a dry day to have the best footing.

Great day hike for those people looking to get out and see some great views of Vermont. Be careful on some sections of the trail if you own a dog, it can get challenging. There is a way to surpass those areas, just make sure to be careful and pay attention to the trail!

Lots of variety to this one. Add White Rock to it if you can. Commanding view of 3 state ranges. Thanks for a unbeatable 78th birthday gift, Hunger Mountain!

excellent and challenging

Fun hike! Brought my two pups, one who is a 75lb golden retriever and the other a 50lb border collie. They loved the steep climb towards the summit and the waterfall near the base! Will definitely do it again soon! Get ready to work those lungs!

Difficult but enjoyable hike. Last .2 miles to summit is basically rock climbing! No warm up, from car you start up hill and it is that for about 2 miles. Recommend the hike but be ready for a challenge!

Quite the workout. Steady uphill climb that seems to never end. Not quite as vertical as Hell Brook, but a much longer climb. This trail has a bit of everything; rough terrain, scrambles(as you close in on the summit), nice little waterfall and beautiful vistas. All in all, a challenging day on the mountain.

Nice and fairly steep ascent through the forest with a little rock scrambling to finish. great views from the top

great climb!
lots of fun and totally amazing view.
I took my dog and he loved being a mini mountain goat towards the end

Shorter than Camels Hump but way rockier. A little difficult with dogs.

Tough climb. I think it was 2.2 up and 2.2 down so we may have actually taken a different trail but did have small waterfall and ended at top of mt hunger and started close to Waterbury.. Good views. Rock scrambling serious!

View was spectacular. The cliffs were a challenge.