Mount Hunger Waterbury Trail

Mount Hunger Waterbury Trail is a 3.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Waterbury Center, Vermont that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and rock climbing and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

17 minutes ago

Incredible 360 view on a clear day. It was pretty icy from about half way and up, made for a challenging climb without spikes.

Trail was very icy yesterday. It would be very difficult without spikes. Once there is some real snow it should be easier. Sometimes described as very steep, we found it so only in a few places.
It was overcast, but the views were spectacular!
Mount Washington was clearly visible, as were all other peaks closer by.

November 17, 2017

What a great hike! Of the many "difficult rated" hikes in the area we did this week, this the only one I would actually rate as difficult. Very vertical in the top section, hike turned to rock climb more than once. Not pedestrian at all. High winds, blowing snow and thick cloud made the summit a little inhospitable and poor visibility, but we really enjoyed the experience.

There was 9 inches of fresh snow at the top and snow and ice in all but the bottom section.

Really nice hike, beautiful 360 views at the summit and well marked trail. Currently, after you cross over the waterfall, the trail becomes very icy--crampons would of been helpful. My pup and I managed just fine by going off trail around the large icy sections.

Nice hike. Icy at the moment. Make sure to bring spikes.

Pretty wet and sloshy but in the best of ways

Great trail, a lot of fun. A little bit of scrambling at the top but not too bad. Great views on a clear day

I climbed the mountain via the Middlesex trail and loved it. The distance was a little longer but well worth the trouble. Check out my full write up along with pictures and directions.

Great challenging hike.

Great hike! The rock scrambling/climbing near the top is a bit tricky when it’s wet. We were not rewarded with a view on the day we hiked it. The entire summit was in a cloud. Even without the view, it’s a must do trail.

Fun hike, absolutely beautiful views from the top. I was there just before sunset and it was lovely. Looked like the foliage was about to get pretty nice along the trail too. Took me 1hr 15 min on the way up, and I was surprised but it took me almost just as long to get back down.

I did Camel's Hump in the morning and found that hike a lot more difficult than Mt Hunger, even though I did this one second.