Mount Hunger Waterbury Trail

Mount Hunger Waterbury Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Waterbury Center, Vermont that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

I've hiked just about every major mountain in Vermont and this is by far the toughest. It might not be the highest elevation gain or the longest hike, but from the parking lot to the summit this trail goes unrelenting up at a steep incline. The second half of the trail goes up nearly 3/4 of the elevation gain over just one mile. The views are incredible and 360 degrees, just get ready to sweat to earn this one!

Some rate this as a moderately difficult hike, some as a difficult hike. Let’s say it’s moderately difficult. As with any hike when you gain roughly 1000 ft. per mile, you have to work. The upper part will require some hand over foot climbing over over some dramatic outcroppings. Efforts are rewarded by probably the best views of any mountain in Vermont, as you have views, just to the west, of Vermont’s loftiest range, Mt Mansfield, Camel’s Hump, etc. In fact you have the most expansive view of virtually all of the major mountains in the Green Mountain range. Not to mention, just to the east, views of many of the western White mountains.

The trail up took us around an hour and forty five minutes (with a few, short water breaks). It is definitely continuously steep throughout, and the second half was wet. The falls are lovely and the top was wonderful and breezy. There were definitely a lot of people on the trail today. The trip down took almost as long as the way up.

Not easy but managed up and done in 6 hours a beginner. Amazing views. Glad we did it!! Recommended.
Made it to Ben and Jerrys before they closed for the day.

This is a fantastic hike, and not just because it's only 45 minutes from Burlington. I love that while it's pretty rigorous, it's not too long of a hike -- you sweat buckets for 90 minutes and get great views at the top. My dog and I hike it several times a month, year round. Here are a few tips:

-- The trail is a bit longer than listed on this site -- 2.1 miles to the summit from the Waterbury lot.
-- It can be very busy on weekends. If you prefer solitude, head out early in the morning or in the late afternoon.
-- Hunger is a very doable hike for dogs, but be aware that there is one spot where you might have to lift your pup up a five-foot rock face, depending on how spry he/she is.
--Check out the white rock spur trail, which provides some beautiful views. It does take you considerably down hill, so don't do it if you think you won't be able to face any more uphill on the way back. The White Rock summit is a bit rocky and technical and for this reason is not easy to navigate with a dog. My energetic, acrobatic trail pup couldn't make it.
-- Winter hiking here is spectacular (assuming you have snowshoes/spikes, depending on conditions).
-- Obviously, you should stop at Ben and Jerry's on the way back to the highway for a celebratory cone.

Enjoy

Very good workout. We were sweating buckets by the time we got up. Took 67 minutes up and 60 minutes down. At the top we were pretty much rock climbing. Beaudoin views when you get to the top but the bugs were bad in middle june so bring your bug spray if you want to spend some time up there.

Nice out and back trail. There is some mild climbing towards the end. Was nice in June; clear sky with an amazing view!

A moderate trail until you get to the rock climbing parts- thats when it got tough, definitely needed to use to arms to pull myself up at times. If the rocks were wet, I imagine this would be a little treacherous, but on a dry day like today it was okay. The views from the top were outstanding. Despite this being a fairly popular hike, there are plenty of rocks at the summit to tuck yourself away and find some solitude. I spent a good 2 hours at the summit, couldn't get myself to leave! The hike up took me about 1 hour 30 mins. Will return!

This is quite a strenuous hike. I read the rating on here and thought it would be relatively easy. It was not easy, but it was well-worth the work. Took me 3 hours to get to the top, but the rocks were very wet

One of me and my pups favorites!

Strenuous but views are well worth it. Challenging without spikes/poles as the trail is still covered in snow and ice, but is doable without them. Perfect day hiking spot!

Strenuous hike but well worth the effort

Definitely recommend micro spikes and dress warm but the hike is unbelievable, love it!

Great winter hike... view at the top is amazing! Crampons or microspikes are a must!

This was a tough trail and kicked our butts. We ascended with spikes and poles. Unfortunately it was a cloudy day so we didn’t see anything from the summit. We saw a pair of hikers on the way up who told us it wasn’t that much closer to the summit and were discouraged because it still took us quite a bit longer (that was kinda mean lol).

Beautiful, difficult trail. You'll feel very accomplished when you reach the summit!

Incredible 360 view on a clear day. It was pretty icy from about half way and up, made for a challenging climb without spikes.

Trail was very icy yesterday. It would be very difficult without spikes. Once there is some real snow it should be easier. Sometimes described as very steep, we found it so only in a few places.
It was overcast, but the views were spectacular!
Mount Washington was clearly visible, as were all other peaks closer by.

November 17, 2017

What a great hike! Of the many "difficult rated" hikes in the area we did this week, this the only one I would actually rate as difficult. Very vertical in the top section, hike turned to rock climb more than once. Not pedestrian at all. High winds, blowing snow and thick cloud made the summit a little inhospitable and poor visibility, but we really enjoyed the experience.

There was 9 inches of fresh snow at the top and snow and ice in all but the bottom section.

Really nice hike, beautiful 360 views at the summit and well marked trail. Currently, after you cross over the waterfall, the trail becomes very icy--crampons would of been helpful. My pup and I managed just fine by going off trail around the large icy sections.

Nice hike. Icy at the moment. Make sure to bring spikes.

Pretty wet and sloshy but in the best of ways

Great trail, a lot of fun. A little bit of scrambling at the top but not too bad. Great views on a clear day

I climbed the mountain via the Middlesex trail and loved it. The distance was a little longer but well worth the trouble. Check out my full write up along with pictures and directions.

Great challenging hike.

Great hike! The rock scrambling/climbing near the top is a bit tricky when it’s wet. We were not rewarded with a view on the day we hiked it. The entire summit was in a cloud. Even without the view, it’s a must do trail.

Fun hike, absolutely beautiful views from the top. I was there just before sunset and it was lovely. Looked like the foliage was about to get pretty nice along the trail too. Took me 1hr 15 min on the way up, and I was surprised but it took me almost just as long to get back down.

I did Camel's Hump in the morning and found that hike a lot more difficult than Mt Hunger, even though I did this one second.

Wicked hike! Steep, rocky terrain from the trailhead all the way to the top. Not for the faint of heart.

great hike. pretty steep in areas. can be slippery. tough but you are rewarded with a great view.

This trail is a workout. The climb, the boulders and the sweat are totally worth it when you get to the top. Try to pick a dry day to have the best footing.