Mount Hunger via Waterbury Trail

Mount Hunger via Waterbury Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Waterbury Center, Vermont that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,260 feet Route Type: Out & Back

icy

Very steep at the top, bring spikes and trek poles.

icy

Somewhat challenging, but was completed on 12/19/2019 the day after two days of snowfall, and the trail had not been used since then. Very icy under the snow near the top, requires good traction to get to the summit. Note: I lost a red Kahtoola microspike near the summit, if anyone finds it if they could please email me at : jjordan15243@gmail.com thank you very much

Awesome hike, one of my favorites ever. River crossing is beautiful. Some rock climbing bits when you get near the top. View is incredible.

Don’t go if it has rained in the past week, otherwise you’ll essentially be hiking up an active stream bed. When I climbed up a few of the rock scrambles, I was climbing against running water. The falls were fun to cross, and parts of the hike were quite lovely, but the scenery gets somewhat monotonous. Also take care if you’re hiking in late October and onward- accumulated leaves on the floor can be deceptive and affect footfalls. Otherwise, this wasn’t an overly difficult hike. I wouldn’t advise hiking with dogs due to the many rock scrambles, but even those were fairly benign. Hiking poles would have been useful for the hike down, which was quite treacherous when wet and muddy, but would be entirely unnecessary and burdensome on the way up.

Despite the trail being wet and muddy the whole way, the technical aspect of the climb made it fun going up. The views are worth the climb. It took us 1.5 hours to reach the summit and about the same to get back down. A great day hike!

The journey is almost as beautiful as the destination. A rocky waterfall sets the perfect scene for a snack break, and the various trees and rocks make for an enjoyable wooded scene the whole way. Be forewarned, you feel like you’re getting close for a long time. I made some friends along the way so I’m not exactly sure how long it would have taken me solo, but it was a 2 hour summit and we enjoyed an entire hour at the top. Definitely glad I brought a lot of food with me. Drank 60 oz of water and was thirsty when I got to the car, and it was a perfect sunny and crisp fall day. This trail was on my bucket list for years and it definitely lived up to the expectations! Side note: I agree with others, pretty sure this is much longer than 4.4 miles. My Fitbit and phone tracker said I did closed to 6. Maybe that’s with the switchbacks on the rock scrambles? Either way, prepare for more than 4!

Great trail, well maintained, and gorgeous 360 degree views at the top. Rock scrambles are tricky, and I would rate this trail much harder than Pinnacle.

Upper half was a bit wet. Good traction and trekking poles were helpful on the way up! Great views at the summit. Worth the effort!

Absolutely beautiful day for a hike

Difficult/steep but fun hike with amazing views.