Mount Hunger via Middlesex Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(25)
CC Putnam State Forest

Mount Hunger via Middlesex Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Waterbury Center, Vermont that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,925 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Route 12 turn onto Shady Rill Road, go 2.1 Miles then turn right onto Story Road. Go about a half a mile then stay left at the Y to continue on Chase Road and keep your eyes our for N Bear Swamp Road that will soon be on your left. Follow N Bear Swamp Road until you see the parking are with the C.C. Putnam State Forest sign. Carry insect repellent. Users have reported high concentrations of bugs along the trail.

Amazing trail. We actually did the loop over to white rock, what a treat. It’s not at hard or steep as the otherwise and you get more views on your way up! What a win! Will definitely make it back here this year. I’ve hiked hunger mtn via the WATERBURY side so many times. It’s my favorite hike actually but this one takes the cake.

Great trail! Well maintained. Saw a few people and I picked up some liter.

Did this in the fall on a super rainy day. Wild and beautiful.

I love this trail. It's so much fun with the babbling Brooks and awesome views. However, as an owner of 3 dogs myself, I would absolutely not recommend bringing your dogs past a certain point on these trails...the top is extremely steep with slick rock and I certainly wouldn't risk it with my pups. There's just too much risk of them getting injured or injuring you during the descent by pulling on the leash. If you're looking for a great hike with amazing views though...this is it!

Went up hunger over to white rock and then down which id recommend since hunger got pretty steep.

Hiked Hunger this morning. The first leg of the hike was a nice ease into the second leg 1.1 miles was a good scramble and muddier in spots. The bugs seem to be dissipating slightly compared to earlier weeks. The views are amazing from the top. Will definitely hike several more times this summer and for fall folliage!!

Great trip up today (6/9/2019). Very little traffic on this route but was a dozen or so people on the summit. The views were spectacular and worth the tough scrambles near the top. Glad to get out and enjoy this great weather with this hike.

Mon Jun 03 2019

Très belle randonnée. Un peu difficile pour une première randonnée de l'année, étant donné les nombreuses sections rocheuses à escalader et quelques sections assez exposées. Très belles conditions aujourd'hui (très peu de boue) et chemin difficile à suivre (peinture bleu). Très peu fréquenté par les humains mais innombrables mouches!!!

Sun May 26 2019

I hiked this on 5/26 - muddy in spots but definite 100% passable. If you’re going in the next week or so, make sure to wear waterproof boots that go above your ankles. The views at the summit are 360 and incredible. For any dog owners, I would think twice about bringing my dog on this again. I had to lift my goldendoodle up to boulders and really had to assist him coming down. I will say in most sections he managed the rock scrambles better than me (as most have commented, the last mile of rock scrambles is pretty intense). If you do this with your dogs, be prepared to give them help over this last mile.

Sat Sep 29 2018

The summit is amazing! The pro of taking this route vs. the Stowe side is there are way fewer people. The first 3/4 is fairly easy. The last 1/4 is intense. The rock scrambles are steeper than the ones on White Rocks, Mt. Abe, and Worcester. They are doable, but for sure not easy.

Wed Jul 04 2018

Hiked this several times last year, again in early May (still lots of snow still!) and am going today. However, I don’t take this trail the whole way. About a mile in, Bob Kemp Trails breaks off to the left and Middlesex bears right - there is a sign. I take Bob Kemp as to detour to White Rock which has great 270 degree views itself with a lot of exposed, flat terrain. From there, I ride the ridge line over to the Mt. Hunger summit - it is less than mile and there are signs to direct you. One steep push right at this end but very doable. The rest has some steeper sections but flattens out in between. I would say moderate is a very accurate rating. Extremely worthwhile for near 360 views from the top of Hunger