Mount Ephraim

Mount Ephraim is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Chester, Vermont that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Mount Ephraim is the highest peak in Springfield, and is accessible from several directions on Class 4 roads and trails that are open to the public through the generosity of private property owners. Jordon Road: Park at the Stellafane observatory, or at the parking area at the end of the maintained portion of Jordon Road. Walk strait on the Jordon Road for about .5 mile, until you see a wetland to the left and small pond to the right. The trail starts to go uphill, and soon the Class 4 road coming from Dutton District will be apparent on the left. Go straight on the Jordon road (most obvious trail several logging roads bear off this road, generally to the right). The left turn heading uphill to the top of Mount Ephraim will appear just beyond a run-down blue and green shack on the right. The trail takes several twists and turns, before generally following a stone wall on the right as it heads to the top of the ridge. At the top, turn right through a break in the stone wall to head to the top of the mountain. The trail on the left is also open to the public thanks to the current property owner, who does a fabulous job of maintaining many trails around his property, as well as providing benches and a picnic table for taking in the views along the way

Went here to stretch my legs during a long car ride. I would say it's on the easier side of moderate with a very gradual incline. Views at the top were nice but not stunning. The trail was not well marked/not marked at alll. Also it looked like ATV utilize the trail a lot, which I personally don't like given the pup was running around

I do plan to come back in the fall, I think there will be a better view at the top. As the other reviewers have mentioned, this is a buggy trail. Its also an atv trail so watch out. There are no sign markers and we ended up going into some guys property at first. He was kind and told us to bear left when coming from the bottom instead of going straight up. My favorite part was going through a beautiful field that another property owner has graciously allowed trail hikers passage.There are picnic tables and some views here. This is about two thirds up to the top. The top is worth it for sure. There is something very special about the springfield area, and you'd never guess it based on the downtown area.

We hiked this trail today, indeed it was buggy and muddy at the bottom but drier and lovelier as we went up. The hike is unmarked, so our GPS came in very handy. Lots of frogs of various sizes in the puddles along the way, the kids found that very entertaining.

I noticed this had only one review so I decided I'd add my two cents. This is one of my favorites little hikes. Downside is it can be muddy and it can be buggy. Not sure why the description says it features a river. At best there is a small brook that runs beside the trail for a ways. At one spot it has been dammed up by beavers to make a very small pond (more like a large swamp). Sometimes in early spring/mud season the trail can become impassable here as the brook that flows out of the "pond" overtakes the road. The top of mount Ephraim is the highest point in Springfield and offers a great view on a clear day when the leaves are off the trees.

Sunday, October 26, 2014

So I parked at the dirt turnaround opposite the Stelafane Observatory, walked roughly a mile to where the Jordan road breaks right/straight, but we bore left through a gate with a public access sign on it. After another half a mile I came to the property of the local landowner that cordially invited us to start up the ridge via a trail on his property that ran between several firewood piles and up a short incline to a vista where the landowner had placed a few benches. From the we walked another half a mile up the ridge to its south end, another open, rocky vista where I believe the views were better. Found a nice large cairn here, according to the landowner, it has been there for several decades. This was a gentle hike, more of a walk. The views are marginal but the property and trail that winds through it are very picturesque.