Mount Elmore is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Wolcott, Vermont that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

beach

Directions from Morrisville, VT: Travel 5 miles south on SR 12 to reach Elmore State Park.

I did this today. 28 degrees rain Iicey snow sleet precipitation. Some really sketchy spots at the very top just before the fire tower. Lots of very thick ice. Danger Will Robinson The fire tower was covered in ice. Probably not a good move on my part and ; coming down was freeking treacherous Whole thing took about 2.25 hours. ONE MAN GATHERS WHAT ANOTHER MAN SPILLS.

Great hike. Started out around 1030 am and finished after 2pm, all at a casual pace with our dog. Coming down the Fire Tower Trail was a little dicey for the dog with all the mud, but we all enjoyed it!

my very first hike. tough but worth it.

This hike provided some amazing views at the Fire Tower-panoramic views that were some of the best I’ve seen. My husband and I did this hike on a Saturday and saw lots of people so I would recommend going during the week. There were several parts where we had to let people go up or down-including small children and adults with infants. It is steep going up but not overly so and only a few tricky parts. I recommend going up Fire Tower trail and down Ridgeline as others have stated-longer that way but not as tricky. But the view on The Fire Tower is amazing and there are several other nice viewing spots.

Really excellent hike overall with majestic views and challenging sections, mainly the first 1.5 miles up. Trail is well maintained and moderately trafficked. Would absolutely recommend!!

always a favorite. firetower trail up, Ridgeline down. pretty easy with a ton of switchbacks and not too steep. views are amazing for the work. I've done this trail a bunch and it's never crowded.

The climb gets steep toward the top but the footing is good. No scrambling. Views from the fire tower are fantastic.

Great for kids of all ages, and swimming in the lake is included with the state park pass.

Great hike!!

I would do this trail again, definitely a challenge and so beautiful, took the fire tower trail up and the ridge trail down, the hike up was exhausting but doable and the way down was really nice, steep at times but relaxing environment

Great trail! Was very humid Friday which added some difficulty just in terms of comfort but the trail was great. Took the short, steep trail to the fire tower which was basically a steady incline up to the first outlook which had great views. The rest of the way to the fire tower involved a higher incline with a few places of hands and knees climbing. The fire tower offered amazing views high enough for significant temperature drops and wind but was beautiful. Took the ridge trail back which was wooded throughout. Balancing rock was neat to see.

great views from the fire tower. Don't forget the Balancing Rock for photos.

Great loop. The fire tower is difficult to get to in winter though, so prepare to just get to a lookout in winter unless you’re daring or have crampons

This was a challenging hike to do in the winter without snowshoes - very icy and could not make it to fire tower. however in the summer I have done the full loop multiple times by myself and with my younger siblings very beautiful and interesting things to see on the way up such as the balancing rock and an old house foundation!

Moderate even a bit hard if you do it carrying a baby!
But definitely worth doing it. My two years old son have been able to walk a good part of the trail since they are well maintained.

We took the ridge trail up and the fire tower trail down on a hot day on Labor Day weekend in September. The way up had a steady incline most of the time, great hike through the woods. The way down was very steep, I am glad we went up the long way, although it might have been fun to climb. The view was beautiful from the fire tower, I would definitely recommend going up. We were staying at the Elmore state park campground, parking right near trailhead, would recommend the whole experience! I would rate the trail as moderate.

I took the Fire Tower trail up, consistently steep and some scrambles right at the end. The view from the tower was GREAT!!! On the way down, I took the Ridge trail and it was beautiful! Lots of little rolling inclines on the way down, lots of shade from pine trees, and a few nice lookout points with big flat rocks. Next time, I might just take the Ridge trail out and back because the terrain was so fun. The Ridge trail had absolutely no mud, it was very dry and well marked, really enjoyable trail (but it is about twice as long as the FT trail)

Trails are still covered in soft spring snow, I found microspikes and poles helpful. Great afternoon hike!

I’m going to have to check this place out. For obvious reasons. I’ll come back and update after I’ve seen it.

The trail starts off easy, the grade then becomes moderate, and after that it reaches an overlook with good views east. From there it is a steep and rocky (but short) climb to the summit, which has a fire tower with excellent views in all directions. The descent route passes several overlooks, as well as Balanced Rock.

took the fire tower trail up and 9/10 of the way up 2 ppl from our group turned around because it was very steep and icy. 4 of us made it past the ice. if your not the most experienced I recommend the ridge trail. the ridge trail also had better views. top of the fire tower was amazing.

Just got off the mountain around 4pm today. We went up the Fire Tower Trail (steep/scramble only near the top). It had a fresh coat of powdered snow on top of the existing ice, so we needed our Yak Traks the whole way. Poles are a good idea on this loop, they came in very handy. We took the Ridge Trail down, which was a very adventurous trail through the woods. .

The trailhead is inside of Elmore State Park not the private drive that google routes you to.

Ice conditions especially the fire tower trail. Definitely recommend shoe spikes. Very hard without. Ridge trail is doable with normal shoes.

Wednesday, November 08, 2017

Sunrise hike was a bit nippy this morning. Icy on the top— added to the adventure!

Sunday, November 05, 2017

Awesome Hike! Views were amazing! Hike up Fire Tower was a bit difficult if u have a fear of heights but if u can power through it’s worth
It! I felt like I was on top of the world with the views. Hike had all the elements you look for!

Monday, October 09, 2017

Wonderful trail to the fire tower and along the Ridge trail descent. The perfect moderate trail with great views. Well maintained by the State Park (who gave great advice).

Saturday, September 30, 2017

This was one of my favorite hikes in the Stowe area. It has a little of everything, some long flowing sections, a few scrambles, a number of lookout views and a few places to haul up and eat your packed lunch.

I recommend doing the loop clockwise, which means ignoring the temptation to leave the fire road early and take the gentle climb up the loop train (or what is posted as the Ridge Trail in the park). Going clockwise means a steeper shorter climb, with the ladders and scrambles going up, and a gentler longer decent.

Friday, September 29, 2017

We did the loop trail up and back because it was less crowded. Fun trail - lots of flatter parts, but a little bit of excitement with some ladders. Not a huge summit, but the walk was lovely. Dog was off leash the whole time and it was perfect for her. Great hike!

Friday, August 11, 2017

Great trail, went up the Fire Tower trail and down the Ridge trail. Both trails were beautiful. Would recommend Fire Tower trail to go up, Ridge was easier to go down than the Tower. Balancing Rock was also very impressive. Enjoy!

Saturday, August 05, 2017

This was a fun hike. We are from out of town and this trail was recommended by a local resident. My wife and daughter are beginners, and are afraid of heights also.

We hiked the loop counter clockwise, and it took us about 4 hours. The journey up was great, the trail itself was in good shape, and the scenery was beautiful. There were a few places where the girls were afraid of falling but we were able to show them how to get up the trail.

Once we arrived to balance rock, my wife froze because of the fear of heights. We were able to talk and guide her across the rock ridge (but it took an hour before the feeling returned to my hand).

We didn't get a chance to go to the fire tower because it started thundering in the distance and we thought we should hurry down the trail.

The descent was fairly technical (for beginners afraid of heights), and there was a lot of "butt scooting", but everyone made it down safe and sound.

My son and I could have probably made it in about 2.5 hours, but is was nice to do with the entire family.