Mount Elmore

Mount Elmore is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Wolcott, Vermont that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

beach

Directions from Morrisville, VT: Travel 5 miles south on SR 12 to reach Elmore State Park.

Moderate even a bit hard if you do it carrying a baby!
But definitely worth doing it. My two years old son have been able to walk a good part of the trail since they are well maintained.

We took the ridge trail up and the fire tower trail down on a hot day on Labor Day weekend in September. The way up had a steady incline most of the time, great hike through the woods. The way down was very steep, I am glad we went up the long way, although it might have been fun to climb. The view was beautiful from the fire tower, I would definitely recommend going up. We were staying at the Elmore state park campground, parking right near trailhead, would recommend the whole experience! I would rate the trail as moderate.

I took the Fire Tower trail up, consistently steep and some scrambles right at the end. The view from the tower was GREAT!!! On the way down, I took the Ridge trail and it was beautiful! Lots of little rolling inclines on the way down, lots of shade from pine trees, and a few nice lookout points with big flat rocks. Next time, I might just take the Ridge trail out and back because the terrain was so fun. The Ridge trail had absolutely no mud, it was very dry and well marked, really enjoyable trail (but it is about twice as long as the FT trail)

Trails are still covered in soft spring snow, I found microspikes and poles helpful. Great afternoon hike!

I’m going to have to check this place out. For obvious reasons. I’ll come back and update after I’ve seen it.

The trail starts off easy, the grade then becomes moderate, and after that it reaches an overlook with good views east. From there it is a steep and rocky (but short) climb to the summit, which has a fire tower with excellent views in all directions. The descent route passes several overlooks, as well as Balanced Rock.

took the fire tower trail up and 9/10 of the way up 2 ppl from our group turned around because it was very steep and icy. 4 of us made it past the ice. if your not the most experienced I recommend the ridge trail. the ridge trail also had better views. top of the fire tower was amazing.

Just got off the mountain around 4pm today. We went up the Fire Tower Trail (steep/scramble only near the top). It had a fresh coat of powdered snow on top of the existing ice, so we needed our Yak Traks the whole way. Poles are a good idea on this loop, they came in very handy. We took the Ridge Trail down, which was a very adventurous trail through the woods. .

The trailhead is inside of Elmore State Park not the private drive that google routes you to.

Ice conditions especially the fire tower trail. Definitely recommend shoe spikes. Very hard without. Ridge trail is doable with normal shoes.

Sunrise hike was a bit nippy this morning. Icy on the top— added to the adventure!

Awesome Hike! Views were amazing! Hike up Fire Tower was a bit difficult if u have a fear of heights but if u can power through it’s worth
It! I felt like I was on top of the world with the views. Hike had all the elements you look for!

Wonderful trail to the fire tower and along the Ridge trail descent. The perfect moderate trail with great views. Well maintained by the State Park (who gave great advice).

This was one of my favorite hikes in the Stowe area. It has a little of everything, some long flowing sections, a few scrambles, a number of lookout views and a few places to haul up and eat your packed lunch.

I recommend doing the loop clockwise, which means ignoring the temptation to leave the fire road early and take the gentle climb up the loop train (or what is posted as the Ridge Trail in the park). Going clockwise means a steeper shorter climb, with the ladders and scrambles going up, and a gentler longer decent.

We did the loop trail up and back because it was less crowded. Fun trail - lots of flatter parts, but a little bit of excitement with some ladders. Not a huge summit, but the walk was lovely. Dog was off leash the whole time and it was perfect for her. Great hike!

Great trail, went up the Fire Tower trail and down the Ridge trail. Both trails were beautiful. Would recommend Fire Tower trail to go up, Ridge was easier to go down than the Tower. Balancing Rock was also very impressive. Enjoy!

This was a fun hike. We are from out of town and this trail was recommended by a local resident. My wife and daughter are beginners, and are afraid of heights also.

We hiked the loop counter clockwise, and it took us about 4 hours. The journey up was great, the trail itself was in good shape, and the scenery was beautiful. There were a few places where the girls were afraid of falling but we were able to show them how to get up the trail.

Once we arrived to balance rock, my wife froze because of the fear of heights. We were able to talk and guide her across the rock ridge (but it took an hour before the feeling returned to my hand).

We didn't get a chance to go to the fire tower because it started thundering in the distance and we thought we should hurry down the trail.

The descent was fairly technical (for beginners afraid of heights), and there was a lot of "butt scooting", but everyone made it down safe and sound.

My son and I could have probably made it in about 2.5 hours, but is was nice to do with the entire family.

Amazing views! On the hard side of moderate but totally worth it.

I hiked up the ridge trail and came down the fire tower trail. I instantly fell in love with the mountain. It is incredibly beautiful.

I've been hiking this mountain since before I could walk and it never ceases to amaze. It is a great beginner or intermediate hike for all ages. Always beautiful no matter the season, and the fire tower trail is a great short extension to your hike.

Beautiful views

Really awesome hike. Went up the Fire Tower Trail and came back down the Ridge Trail. Was really muddy, but that was to be expected because of all the rain. The view from the fire tower is spectacular. Did 4.3 miles in about 3 hours.

Waterfalls everywhere!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Hiked the Longer Ridge Trail up and the Fire tower trail down. Not too buggy, took about 11/2 hrs to hike up and an hour down. Beautiful view at the top from the Fire tower. Can easily be hiked with dogs.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

The trail was absolutely beautiful

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

We throughly enjoyed this hike with our dog, Dodger. We parked in the State Park, not the trail head on the app (it was a private residence). The trail was well blazed. The VT State Park service has done an excellent job maintaining this trail. Our 23 lb dog needed a lift or two up and down the ladders on this loop trail. Fortunately he's not too heavy. This is early spring and there weren't too many insect. I'm sure there are many more insects later in the season because of all the moisture along this trail. Dress appropriately and bring insect repellent.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

I love Elmore. I've hiked this mountain as a kid and now as an adult. It was really buggy this year for some reason but still an amazing and beautiful hike!

Saturday, May 27, 2017

I have hiked this trail several times as a child and now I enjoy taking my sons to Elmore Mountain. Afterward the hike we go to the lake to cool off.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Perfect day for a hike, great view of the lake from the top of the tower. I'd definitely recommend going up the fire tower trail for a moderate climb then down ridge trail for a leisurely descent if you're planning on doing the loop.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Glorious day today for a hike. The view from the top of the fire tower was as good as it gets. The rock ledge near the top proved to be somewhat challenging to get up but it's not a very large section.

Friday, August 05, 2016

Beautiful views from the top. If you're afraid of heights and climbing, I do not suggest this as you have to climb up a fire tower. A few teasers along to way. At one point you're climbing boulders on the 1.2 trail. The 2.2 trail is a longer trail but a much better path, less views on the way up. We hiked up the 1.2 came down the 2.2. Mostly shade, lots of ticks. It's a few bucks to get in and parking is kind of a pain.