Mount Ascutney South via Weathersfield Trail

Mount Ascutney South via Weathersfield Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Perkinsville, Vermont that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Views are SPECTACULAR! This is going to be a little challenging if you aren’t an experienced hiker or in good shape. Gets steep quick after the mini falls. No water running down the mini falls, and just a little trickle running down the big cascade falls but it’s very pretty if you hike around to the bottom and look up! The rocks on cascade falls are very slippery and steep please use caution if you look over the edge. Personally I didn’t even get close enough to look over and I was slipping, so I just walked around to the bottom. Best view was west peak for sure. Beautiful platform to enjoy the view from and eat lunch. Also Gus’s lookout and the other west lookout are just as rewarding, I recommend hitting them all!! You have to go up The tower at the summit to get a 360 degree view- I will definitely do this hike again!

My sister and I hiked it and we had a great time. We got caught in a thunderstorm which was pretty awesome/scary with lightning flashing right above your head. Definitely recommend bug spray, don’t really need sun protection with the trees around. The trail is very well marked and maintained. We made it to the top and back in about 5.5 hours. The way down was slow going in the rain and my sisters knees were bothering her. The waterfall was more of a babbling brook but the view was nice, I imagine it would be a lot better with the snow melt off in spring. The observation tower was cool too but the best view of the valley is from the Wester Vista where there’s a wide open clearing. Didn’t see too many people, just a mother daughter who had driven up to the summit parking lot and walked over to the summit. I would recommend it!

wow. nothing like hiking in the northeast. aside from the bugs buzzing around my head, super beautiful. almost all shade. waterfall was awesome. good workout lots of elevation gain. saw some Hawks nests... no inhabitants that i could see. as a lone hiker today, pretty isolated, might consider traveling with someone.

We chose this trail as it was on our way from the Hudson Valley to Hanover, NH. And we are training for a backpacking trip. This hike was a good 5 miler with lots of elevation gain. And it was beautiful. The view from West Peak Vista was quite good. Footwork is key on this trail. ESP if you are carrying weight. Since it is heavily travelled with resulting erosion. It’s mostly rocks and roots. But lots of fun! The climate may change a bit between bottom and top. Nice trail. We highly recommend it.

great winter hike! well marked trails, fairly steep in sections. wish I'd brought the trekking poles. micro spikes were a must. glad we chose this trail instead of the falling waters trail in the whites, as a storm system was coming in. even though there were no views at the top, the falling snow was magical. partially frozen waterfall was spectacular.

moo

Trails clearly marked. Even with the snow we’ve had there was a well defined path. Only made it to cascade falls due to daylight so will definitely have to come back to summit.

Fairly easy winter hike, trail was well marked. Cascade falls was pretty well frozen over but still beautiful. Overall, a very scenic and pleasant hike. Curious to return in spring/summer.

beautiful trail with lots of views and waterfalls! ate lunch on the hang glider landing and saw a grad total of 3 other people. :)

This trail has an embarrassment of riches for any hiker. I guess there's a half a dozen or more trails to summit Ascutney, but you would have a tuff time convincing me there's a better way than the Weathersfield route. Also this hike was done when most of the foliage was off the trees.

Beautiful hike. Fairly easy for seasoned hikers. We had three kids with us so we only made it to Cascade Falls. Some scrambling and it's a bit muddy / slippery, especially in this time of year. (Autumn) but the foliage is really spectacular and make the trail colorful and beautiful.

Really nice hike, Gus's Outlook is a great spot for lunch, make sure you go up to the West Peak Vista as that's a great spot for the view.
We looped the summit via the Hand Glide trail which was fun though signs are not that visible.

Second falls are really interesting, the walk gets a bit more complicated from there to the top although it's worth it. The summit per se is not great but all the other points of interest and vistas are definitely worth the effort.

Definitely recommend!

Fun trail to do with kids. Great falls, and nice random views along the way

great waterfalls in mid spring. it can be pretty icy if it early in the spring.

I have a rash on my taint. it's a tough hike from the cascade falls to the summit. bring extra water! no view from the actual summit but there's a lookout tower with a good view

The trail seemed fairly easy until the second cascade. After that, it was hard. Today was almost a 90 degree day so my boyfriend and I went through over 3 liters of water, together. Snacks and possibly even a lunch/dinner are a must. I would rate this trail hard. Also, the summit has nearly no view unless you go to the lookout tower.

Great place to hike! Many different spots to stop and take in the views, our favorite was the western summit. This trail is rated moderate but I saw a lot of people struggling or turning back before reaching the top. Definitely plan on plenty of water and some nutrition to make the round trip.

Wish the HangGlider trail was marked. Other than that what a lovely hike!

Definitely a steep climb after the waterfall!

A favorite, because even if you don't get to the top, the Cascade Falls is a great lunch spot.
BTW, this is longer, harder hike than many expect (maybe not this crew). The lower part is fairly easy but above the Falls gets steeper and more overgrown towards the top. Bring water for sure and probably a snack. I've seen the local fire department have to rescue a collapsed hiker from this trail and it wasn't pretty.

Beautiful hike but I would agree with other reviewer that parts of this trail are quite steep and rocky. Views are wonderful.

Nice hike with some good places to stop before the summit. Gus' Lookout was really nice. The only way to see the view from the top is if you go up the lookout tower. Not a good hike for novices or first timers.

I found this moderate trail to be challenging. Loved it regardless. Mostly steep sections, lots of rocks and roots. Some of the trail is flattish with nice gravel. I hiked on a pretty warm afternoon (mid-80), clear day, and was mostly in shade. Will try trail again when I have more miles on my feet, but compared to other moderate trails in the area, I feel this one will still be a challenge.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

to c

Saturday, July 15, 2017

y

Monday, June 12, 2017

On the easy end of moderate. Enjoyable, but the summit is pretty disappointing with the metal towers. The overlook was a better view, but fairly small. The waterfalls are very nice though, there are a few, and today the water crossings were manageable. Trail is well marked.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Incredible hike, this trail was so scenic the whole way with several waterfalls and streams, interesting boulders and rock formations and gnarly old trees straight out of a novel. There's stunning moss beds everywhere, we saw some pileated woodpeckers, lady slippers and various fungi. The overlooks (Gus and West Summit) offer great views, a can't miss! The summit itself is a little underwhelming with tv station towers and what-not plus limited views. But the observation tower is pretty cool. My favorite part was Cascade Falls, it's worth a look down over the edge but be careful!! Moderate is a fair rating for this trail, many parts are steep with rocks and roots but there are many places for rests that level out. Well marked and maintained!

Monday, May 29, 2017

The beginning of the trail is filled with beautiful views and babbling brooks; then everything becomes shrouded with trees. Gus's outlook is definitely worth the climb and slight detour, as is the scenic vista near the summit. Climbing the fire tower at the top will give you a spectacular view of the surrounding area, but it was super packed with people. Still worth the trip and I'd do it again!

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Very nice hike. West peak view had many hawks gliding. Had lunch there. Waterfall was also very nice as was Gus's view.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Great hike! Perfect day! Fantastic views. Everyone friendly!