Mount Ascutney South via Weathersfield Trail

Mount Ascutney South via Weathersfield Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Perkinsville, Vermont that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Great hike. I would rate as moderate-hard due to steepness in sections and need to scramble over rocks at times. But very easy to follow and lots of variety of terrain-soft forest floor, rocks, tree roots, etc. I agree that Gus’ Lookout and West View the best places for views but Observation Tower also worth it. Overall I really liked this hike and would do it again. But I would say to expect a good workout. It took me and my husband about 5 hours but we took it easy going up, making frequent stops ;and going down, although taking less time, requires attention to footing and I always find down harder.

Great trail. Very well marked and maintained. Steady ascent to summit. Observation tower at top offers good views. Some traffic noise on a stretch of lower middle of the hike, but otherwise quiet. I’m 51 and in reasonably good shape and got to summit in 2.4 hours, skipping the waterfall via the bypass. It took 1.5 hours from summit back to car on same route.

Some rock scrambling, but nothing too challenging. Great 360 degree view from the tower at the top. Be sure to stop at Cascade Falls and Gus’ Lookout on the way. Took us 3.5 hours with short stops.

One of my new favorites ... nice variety of terrain that makes it challenging but not grueling. Great views from several locations, and some nice water features and rock formations. Took me 2 hours up and 1.5 hours down.

I enjoyed the many different view locations on the trail. it really made the hike worth it. though it wasnt too far up to the summit it felt like forever. the farther up you got the more difficult the terrain was. the trail was marked very well. I spent a total of 5 hours on the trail I'm sure some may have better time I found myself having to stop often to continue motivating myself. the likelyhood of me doing this trail again is very unlikely only because it kicked my butt.

Amazing views! Lots of stops with water ways if you have a pup in tow. Quite a few off-leash dogs though, just something to watch.

only went the 1.1 miles in. stopped at the falls. a lot of up. good for active people. beautiful views

I hiked this on a Wednesday and saw a total of about 10 people. I had the west view to myself for a good thirty minutes. I’d agree that this is definitely on the harder side of moderate...perhaps just hard. The cascades were beautiful and perfect for my pup to cool down in. I only went to the west viewing platform, as I had read that the summit’s views were not as stunning. So many mushrooms!! I have never seen so many mushrooms of different shapes, sizes, colors. I found the trail to be very well marked and easy to follow. I highly recommend this beauty of a hike!

This trail is amazing, with several small cascades and one very tall one before turning right to keep climbing up. The west view is the ticket, and the summit is less so, but there is a view if you climb the tower. I would not rate this trail as moderate, but hard. I am comparing this to WMNF trails labeled moderate which are significantly easier, as well as comparing to Catstill mountain trails labeled hard and rightly so. Just be prepared for a big workout.

Nice trail, took side trip to fall. Total time 5 hours. Trail was wet and slippery after heavy rain for a few days.. Saw group with young children going up.

Views are SPECTACULAR! This is going to be a little challenging if you aren’t an experienced hiker or in good shape. Gets steep quick after the mini falls. No water running down the mini falls, and just a little trickle running down the big cascade falls but it’s very pretty if you hike around to the bottom and look up! The rocks on cascade falls are very slippery and steep please use caution if you look over the edge. Personally I didn’t even get close enough to look over and I was slipping, so I just walked around to the bottom. Best view was west peak for sure. Beautiful platform to enjoy the view from and eat lunch. Also Gus’s lookout and the other west lookout are just as rewarding, I recommend hitting them all!! You have to go up The tower at the summit to get a 360 degree view- I will definitely do this hike again!

My sister and I hiked it and we had a great time. We got caught in a thunderstorm which was pretty awesome/scary with lightning flashing right above your head. Definitely recommend bug spray, don’t really need sun protection with the trees around. The trail is very well marked and maintained. We made it to the top and back in about 5.5 hours. The way down was slow going in the rain and my sisters knees were bothering her. The waterfall was more of a babbling brook but the view was nice, I imagine it would be a lot better with the snow melt off in spring. The observation tower was cool too but the best view of the valley is from the Wester Vista where there’s a wide open clearing. Didn’t see too many people, just a mother daughter who had driven up to the summit parking lot and walked over to the summit. I would recommend it!

wow. nothing like hiking in the northeast. aside from the bugs buzzing around my head, super beautiful. almost all shade. waterfall was awesome. good workout lots of elevation gain. saw some Hawks nests... no inhabitants that i could see. as a lone hiker today, pretty isolated, might consider traveling with someone.

We chose this trail as it was on our way from the Hudson Valley to Hanover, NH. And we are training for a backpacking trip. This hike was a good 5 miler with lots of elevation gain. And it was beautiful. The view from West Peak Vista was quite good. Footwork is key on this trail. ESP if you are carrying weight. Since it is heavily travelled with resulting erosion. It’s mostly rocks and roots. But lots of fun! The climate may change a bit between bottom and top. Nice trail. We highly recommend it.

great winter hike! well marked trails, fairly steep in sections. wish I'd brought the trekking poles. micro spikes were a must. glad we chose this trail instead of the falling waters trail in the whites, as a storm system was coming in. even though there were no views at the top, the falling snow was magical. partially frozen waterfall was spectacular.

moo

Trails clearly marked. Even with the snow we’ve had there was a well defined path. Only made it to cascade falls due to daylight so will definitely have to come back to summit.

Fairly easy winter hike, trail was well marked. Cascade falls was pretty well frozen over but still beautiful. Overall, a very scenic and pleasant hike. Curious to return in spring/summer.

beautiful trail with lots of views and waterfalls! ate lunch on the hang glider landing and saw a grad total of 3 other people. :)

This trail has an embarrassment of riches for any hiker. I guess there's a half a dozen or more trails to summit Ascutney, but you would have a tuff time convincing me there's a better way than the Weathersfield route. Also this hike was done when most of the foliage was off the trees.

Beautiful hike. Fairly easy for seasoned hikers. We had three kids with us so we only made it to Cascade Falls. Some scrambling and it's a bit muddy / slippery, especially in this time of year. (Autumn) but the foliage is really spectacular and make the trail colorful and beautiful.

Really nice hike, Gus's Outlook is a great spot for lunch, make sure you go up to the West Peak Vista as that's a great spot for the view.
We looped the summit via the Hand Glide trail which was fun though signs are not that visible.

Second falls are really interesting, the walk gets a bit more complicated from there to the top although it's worth it. The summit per se is not great but all the other points of interest and vistas are definitely worth the effort.

Definitely recommend!

Fun trail to do with kids. Great falls, and nice random views along the way

great waterfalls in mid spring. it can be pretty icy if it early in the spring.

Monday, September 25, 2017

I have a rash on my taint. it's a tough hike from the cascade falls to the summit. bring extra water! no view from the actual summit but there's a lookout tower with a good view

Monday, September 25, 2017

The trail seemed fairly easy until the second cascade. After that, it was hard. Today was almost a 90 degree day so my boyfriend and I went through over 3 liters of water, together. Snacks and possibly even a lunch/dinner are a must. I would rate this trail hard. Also, the summit has nearly no view unless you go to the lookout tower.

Monday, September 25, 2017

Great place to hike! Many different spots to stop and take in the views, our favorite was the western summit. This trail is rated moderate but I saw a lot of people struggling or turning back before reaching the top. Definitely plan on plenty of water and some nutrition to make the round trip.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Wish the HangGlider trail was marked. Other than that what a lovely hike!

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Definitely a steep climb after the waterfall!