Monroe and Dean Loop Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Huntington, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

9/23/18 Today was just a nice partly cloudy day for us too hike. It was in the 60's. We began the hike at 10:50am.Started on the monroe trail which is slightly steep. Then took Deans trail which was very nice and tranquil, was able to keep a steady pace. Make sure when you see an big open field on the right too go over and look and see the camel's hump from a distance. Spectacular view, an artist and photographers dream!! Then on to long trail where it gradually increases in altitude and also more obstacles to face with roots, rocks, boulders to scale with bare hands and on knees. Some spots slippery and wet on rocks and gravel. Then at the summit was unbelievably great feeling off happiness of this sight. We saw lake Champlain and 3 other mt peaks. The summit had a very neat alpine tundra biome as well.
An excellent hiking experience. Total hours for us was 5hrs 44 min. with 31,608 steps on pedometer. This was our first hike at 4,083ft. Be sure to bring warm clothing or extra shoes just in case. The summit can be windy and cold if it's not in summer season.

Great views and amazing trails!

loved this trail. 2.3 miles of easy going trail but it's all business once you hit long trail north. challenging and scenic. I would not do Deans' for the decent or when wet.

Amazing views. Quite challenging.

Great loop but not to be underestimated. I suggest Monroe to Dean, then Long Trail to the peak- this way most of your scrambling is going up, not down. Note that on the Dean trail, once you have reached the saddle, there is a well marked side trail to the right that leads to a large marshy clearing- to your left is a large rock- the views of Camel's Hump from the top of that rock are outstanding. On the way back, check out the alpine trail, about a third to half way, there is a side trail to the right that leads to a piece of the left wing of a B-52 that crashed into the mountain in the early 60s...

one of the high peaks in VT, she is magnificent

Challenging, but doable. The view from the summit is worth it!

I was hesitant to hike this in the snow, and didn't quite make the summit due to bad timing on our part, but I'm so glad we did it. The frozen terrain would have been impossible to pass without crampons, but the hike itself is so rewarding. There's a small cemetary at the trail head parking lot you can walk through. Next time I'd like to do the full loop to the summit via Monroe and head down via the Dean/Long Trail. My review of 4 starts is only due to an incomplete hike that day.

beautiful!

Friday, August 25, 2017

Gorgeous hike, weather can make the few scrambles up and back down a little treacherous; nothing to sweat over though, take your time and enjoy it.

I recommend a detour off Monroe to the Alpine South trail about a mile from the summit. It leads to the peak as well, but has a crashed WW2 fighter wing about 10m off trail that is certainly worth seeing if one has the time!

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Great hike and views!

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Some nice waterfalls. Spent most of the hike with strong tree cover. Views are worth it once you break through.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Having accessed Camel's Hump primarily via Burrows Trail in the past, the Monroe Trail loop offered a fresh and exciting perspective of the mountain. We enjoyed pretty much all aspects of the experience, including the drive to the trailhead. We headed up the Monroe Trail to the summit and then continued south on the Long Trail to Wind Gap from where we followed the Dean Trail back to Monroe, and then back down. While the Monroe Trail was enjoyable by itself, it was definitely worth the added .8 miles to experience 1.9 miles of the Long Trail, which featured an exciting scramble down from the summit and along the ridge. We were excited to check out the beaver pond off of Dean, but it appeared to be washed out. Hopefully the beavers get it back up and running soon! A highlight was the abundant proximity to streams along the way, which may have been particulary active due to recent incessant rainfall. Would definitely recommend this loop, and I will be back quite soon!

Monday, July 10, 2017

Gradual, steady elevation change for the entire trail. Exposed rock near the summit, but otherwise quite suitable for running. Can get quite busy.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Hiked this trail mid June, and although it was a great hike, the black flies certainly put a damper on things. Once reaching the summit, the swarms of beetles and flies made it absolutely unbearable. You could barley take a deep breath without inhaling a swarm of bugs. I would not recommend going in June unless there are strong winds or swarms of insects do not bother you.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Great hike. Once you hit the Long Trail section the climbing gets steep with some exposed sections. Ended up doing it on a windy, rainy and cloudy day but still loved it. Next time I hope to do it when there is some visibility.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

I'll have to admit, I was quite surprised by how much I enjoyed this hike. I met a good number of hikers on the way up Monroe Trail and at the top, but on the way down the Long Trail and Dean Trail I only crossed paths with a couple of other hikers. The views from the summit were spectacular in every direction and even though it was crowded at the top, it wasn't hard to find your own quiet place to enjoy the scenery.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Probably my favorite trail to hike. Well maintained, great scenery, and less crowded than the Burrows trail. I would rate this as a moderate trail, Burrows trail is harder. This trail has a few rock scrambles to keep you occupied on your trek up. The views from the summit are breathtaking. Leave some time to enjoy. GPS had me at 6.8, out and back on the Monroe trail, I didn't do the loop. Keep your eyes out for bear if you go early in the season.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Great hike! The views were beautiful.

Friday, July 15, 2016

Used a portion of this Trail along with Alpine Trail coming off Camels Hump Summit and looping back to the landing that intersects with the Long Trail.

Friday, July 08, 2016

Wonderful hike beautiful views at summit

Saturday, February 06, 2016

Yesterday's ascent wasn't terribly hard. Poles and ice chains on my boots made walking on the hard pack and ice much easier. The descent was a different story. It seemed more ice formed, on the trail, after the sun went down which made my "ICEtrekkers" the wrong chains for the job. My hiking buddy had ice spikes and was able to manage far better. I took a few falls while he may have slipped only two or three times. With the lack of snow forecasted and below freezing nights Burrow's Trail is going to be incredibly challenging for the next few weeks. My buddy, who has hiked Camel's Hump for years, said yesterday evening was the most challenging hike he's ever been on there.

Sunday, January 31, 2016

I hiked burrows trail two weeks ago with a couple of friends. The trail was great, hard packed snow with very little ice. It was super windy and cold at the summit but the view was worth it.

Monday, July 13, 2015

It's a great hike and climb... Did it both summer and winter... Was not disappointed.... But if it's icy bring micro spikes or crampons.. It's a long way down on your butt....

Monday, June 16, 2014

Beautiful summit!

Thursday, October 03, 2013

Completed it on my birthday, a glorious September day. Monroe Trail to Camel's Hump summit, 3.4 miles. Must be one of the best sweeping views of the Green Mountains, with the Adirondacks to the west (you can see Whiteface Mountain and the ski trails) and the White Mountains (with Mount Washington) to the east. We followed the Monroe trail all the way to the summit and came back through the little-known and hardly used Alpine Trail. We left Wind Gap for another time, since we are planning to hike the Long Trail at some point.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Probably the best view in Vermont from the top, but you don't see much until you get past the timberline. Once you get past the timberline it's epic. I've hiked the Monroe trail in both summer, fall, and winter seasons and winter is my favorite because with cold temperatures, you don't have humidity obstructing any views and you can see unbelievable far in all directions. (I recommend something under your boots for better tracking in the winter to deal with ice.)

Friday, March 02, 2012

Loved this hike! Overcast day when we did this hike, but it was simply a fantastic hike with some light scrambling and sufficient elevation gain.

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Ridiculously great winter hike!! Thereare four trailheads ranging from 2.4 miles of steep terrain, to an 8 plus mile trail. All trails offer different views and if you never hike this mountain u r missing out!!! I hiked all the trailheads this past winter and it was exhileraing and majestic in winter white. Five trips to the top, ahhhh the joy!