Long Trail to the Chin and Profanity Trail

Long Trail to the Chin and Profanity Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stowe, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is recommend only for experienced hikers. It's best if it hasn't rained for a week, and to hike on a sunny day. Get started early in the morning. Wear a pair of hiking boots with great traction. Bring three bottles of water, dress in layers, bring a jacket, a mylar blanket, band-aids, and have a strong LED flashlight.

We hiked with microspikes and it was Great! We stopped just below the chin because of poor visibility. Tried to go up Profanity, but after just 5 or so minutes, the trail was unbroken and very deep snow instead.

Very windy at the top with little to no visual when we went, but still a great hike. Definitely bring yourself lots of water! Due to the traffic coming up (as we were trying to go down) and grounds being wet, took profanity back down to attempt and bypass some people and to be more covered from the winds.

Love this hike. Have done it twice. Bring lots of water. First time I did it with my husband and we went at a pretty good clip. Felt very accomplished when done and views are outstanding. Coming back was harder than going up as our knees were grumbling we are both over 50).

Second time did it with a bunch of girlfriends and it was wet and super foggy. Two girls turned around early on. The rest of us turned around probably less than halfway in. Must have good hiking shoes. Ideally you want boots as your ankles will be screaming at you on the way back.

Go but be prepared. You want hiking boots, water, something warm for up top plus a snack.

Very tough hike! Definitely a difficult rating, parts of Hike were rock climbing along cliff edge. It is all up hill and then all downhill on return trip. We went up Long trail to summit, then came down on Profanity trail. Profanity trail is very steep but much more protected than Longs.

Profanity trail was filled with water all along and it was slippery. Good, hiking shoes are recommended. View from the chin is amazing.

Challenging hike but well worth it!! Had a glorious day to head up..took the long trail up and the profanity trail down..I recommend this route. The view is stunning!!

Took us 2 hr 15 min to summit and 1 hr 45 to descend. This is a difficult hike. You may like to have poles. Be prepared for a heart pumping hike and slippery wet rocks the entire trail before breaking the tree line. Then you will have to scramble and it's straight up climbing rocks for a bit, it looks scarier than it is. The summit is open and fairly flat. Well worth it. Stunning.

Superb trail from Lincoln Gap to Mt. Abraham. Long stretch of near alpine coniferous woods ground covered completely by mosses. 360° views from the top are stunning and varied (undeveloped land/forests to the south with beautiful mountain ridges; Lake Champlain in the distance to the west with the Adirondacks beyond; scattered farms to east and west with mire wood and mountains extending north). Best hike EVER in the East with good general trail condition with enough elevation gain and climbing across rock slabs to provide an excellent degree of exercise. HARD TO BEAT THIS ONE.!

I absolutely loved to hike this mountain, there s beautiful view spots all the way up, it's not an easy hike, at the end it's basicly climbing. We went my girlfriend and I, took 4 hours. We had an amazing time!

Rained a few days before and snow was still melting at the end of May. Ground was very slippery while hiking against a small stream on a sunny day. Because the snow started to melt, in the evening, it got worse. The trail is very steep and it can be dangerous. I estimated somewhere from 40 to 60 degree angles most of the time. Near the summit, one would need to do some serious rock climbing, and if you are afraid of heights, definitely don't do this portion of the hike. I used to work at the level of 20 feet from the ground, and I was not afraid of heights, but I was shaky near the summit because there was nothing behind me and there wasn't much to hold on to. This hike is more difficult than Old Rag, VA. Be prepared to do strenuous hiking for 7 hours. Coming down is even worse.

I would recommend only for experienced hikers. It's best if it hasn't rained for a week, and hike on a sunny day. Get started early in the morning. Wear a pair of hiking boots with great traction. Bring three bottles of water, dress in layers, bring a jacket, a mylar blanket, band-aids, and have a strong LED flashlight. I found an apple was better than trail mixes because of thirst. I have hiked a few difficult trails, and I would rate this portion of the Long Trail more than difficult. I watched other people slipping and sliding, and it won't take much to get hurt on this trial. One gentleman and his son were wise to turn around near Taft Lodge. People want to be encouraging and they would urge you on because you are close to the top. But near the top is the most difficult part because you are already fatigued. I learned I need to listen to my inner voice and know the limit. It is ok to turn around because as they say, the mountains will be there another day.

Attempted summit in February of 2017. Trail markers difficult to see at beginning and completely lost half way up

Monday, September 12, 2016

Great hike. I'd definitely do it again!

Thursday, September 01, 2016

I love how a 282 Mile long hike gets condensed into 3.9 Mile loop that includes the Profanity trail poor weather bypass. Regardless this is a great hike if you like constant elevation change. There may be 300feet of flat section throughout the whole trail. The last 0.3 miles is consistently a class 1 or 2 scramble. I would only bring one water bottle as taft lodge is only 0.6 miles from the top and theres a stream along the vast majority of the rest of the trail. Even at the top theres bound to be a few puddle from cloud moisture or rain. The views are amazing if you grt lucky with little clouds. Dont be fooled if at the base its clear doesnt mean the peaks going to be just as nice.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Amazing views the entire time; not good if you don't like heights!

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Very scenic!

Thursday, October 08, 2015

This is a difficult trail at times - very steep and near the edges of cliffs (small footing at times) but a great hike! Take water and snacks, you may need more than what you think.

Monday, October 05, 2015

Very challenging but beautiful trail. It is worth the effort.

Saturday, October 03, 2015

Great hike! My wife and I did this yesterday. Very challenging near the top definitely not for the inexperienced hiker.

Friday, July 11, 2014

We did this yesterday. Check before you go up, the gondola does not always run. Agree with previous post.. The last section above the tree line is rocky and challenging. We went back down the same way we came up from 108 to Taft lodge and long trail. If the rock face is too challenging you can take the bad weather profanity bypass... An option if you don't want to come down the same way you went up. Good hiking boots were especially useful. I regret not wearing double socks. Water and snacks a must. Some people sleep at Taft lodge. Get an early start so you don't run out of sunshine. You don't want to get stuck on this trail in the dark. The descent is a bit tough on the legs and slow if the trail is wet and slippery. Great hike, but unfortunately, it attracts some hikers that take themselves a bit too seriously. Thankfully, we did not injure ourselves but we did see someone with a small bleeding cut on her leg on the way down. A first aid kit would be prudent. There are jagged rocks and some slippery spots especially when the trail is wet.

Thursday, October 03, 2013

Ascended to the Chin via the Long Trail South entrance just north of Stowe's ski trails, passed by the Taft Lodge and continued via the Long Trail. At some point there's a bad weather bypass (Profanity Trail), right before you get above the tree line (arctic zone). The last part climbing over rocks is quite difficult and not for the faint of heart. Given my small stature, some passages proved to be hard to reach. The views at the summit are a huge payback. Simply gorgeous, sweeping views as far as the eyes can see. From the Chin we proceeded to the Nose via the Long Trail and descended via the Haselton trail to the gondola, which brings you back to Route 108 about 1 mile south of the parking lot.