Little Rock Pond via Long Trail (Appalachian Trail)

Little Rock Pond via Long Trail (Appalachian Trail) is a 4.7 mile out and back trail located near Danby, Vermont that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, fishing, and backpacking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Really this would probably be 3 1/2 stars for me. This hike was pretty without much elevation but like another reviewer noted it is rocky! Once you cross over the creek that whole section of the trail is super rocky. I couldn't really enjoy my surroundings, because if you looked up while walking you'd twist an ankle. Our golden retriever had a rougher time then usual too with paw placement. A 2 mile hike to the pond should have taken our family of 4 around 40 minutes or less - we hike a lot. It took us over an hour to get to pond since it was slow going with the rocky path.

Misty, foggy day, but beautiful stream-side hike. Foliage was great.

Well kept with all the traffic back and forth. Great scenery from the Green Mountain.

Not to steep, perfect for us! Best hike I have been on in my life!

I found this trail to be difficult with the footing, stepping on and in between pointy rocks and numerous exposed tree roots for 85 percent of the journey, but I could have been having an off day for hiking too. The pond is definitely worth visiting. Seemed like a very remote place, with lots of AT/LT hikers passing through this time of year. It is very picturesque with dozens.of mini water cascades flowing among moss covered rocks. I also found lions mane (mushroom) here which was a pleasant surprise.

This was an easy hike - there were only a couple of spots that might be considered steep. It was raining on our hike so the rocks were slippery. The pond looked clear, and we saw a couple of loons.

Challenging hike on a wet day, but well worth it. Hope to do it again but in nicer weather.

Monday, October 16, 2017

Trail hugs a stream with several waterfalls, culminating in a serene mountain pond.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Great overnight trip with family. Easy hike up from the parking area and the camping around Little Rock Pond is just beautiful. We did it with my 9 year old son and my 6 year old daughter and they made it without a problem. Great hike, would definitely do it again!

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Great trails and beautiful pond.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Love this trail. A little rocky and muddy in spots, but the pond makes it completely worth it.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Nice hike...not too strenuous. Pond was gorgeous with the fall foliage...great place for a family hike

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Very beautiful trail that mostly runs next to a creek. Very little change in elevation, rocky, but not too strenuous.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

We really enjoyed this trail. Not difficult and very pretty. There were plenty of boards to traverse the marsh areas.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Perfect for a moderate hike. Rewarded with a picturesque pond and swimming opportunity. Loved the hike!

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Even with the mud and rocks this was a treat! Lots of interesting flora and fungi with a nice variety of terrain. And then there's the pond...wow! Nice hike around the lake.

Friday, May 20, 2016

Very very nice hike with not much of an incline and having the trail start off along the stream was nice. I highly recommend waterproof boots. Half the trail was all mud and water. It was a 2.2 mile hike to the shelter that could sleep possibly 8 on the platforms and 2 on the ground. Housekeeper wasn't there yet because it was early in the season. I've tried fishing there with no luck. But I've heard there is brook trout in there. The pond was beautiful and there is a trail that goes completely around the pond and a 1 mile trail that goes along the ridge with some cliffs. There are 4 tent platforms around the shelter with a nice fire pit and an outhouse. About .4 miles from the shelter is group camping platforms. Great day hike but I did an overnight at the shelter. I hope this review helped you out and I highly recommend this hike.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Love the surprise view when you get to the lake. Path could be muddy and slippery after the rain

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Great trails. Lots of rocks, so boots are a good idea. Perfect for beginners and great for kids. Beautiful pond views as well.

Friday, March 11, 2016

Drove out here a few days ago to hike this trail after a buddy of mine showed me this trail last year, but we had to head back to Albany. Beautiful streams follow you the whole way, its about to get muddy for the next few weeks, keep that in mind! After a few miles you come across Little Rock Pond and its gorgeous views! There is an area to set up camp and emergency shelter as well.

Saturday, December 05, 2015

Went there today. Still has access to trail because of warm weather. Was a really great hike. Took us with our dog about 3 hours. We hiked out and around the pond. Beautiful scenery. Easy hike.

Monday, October 12, 2015

Glorious however a bit busy on Columbus Day week end.

Sunday, September 06, 2015

Extraordinary day at Little Rock Pond.

paddle sports
Saturday, August 22, 2015

Great hike with the kids! And we all loved the chance to swim at the top. Very refreshing on a hot day.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Great day hike trail to an awesome swimming spot! Jumping off the rocks is great! Just keep an eye out for those sneaky little snakes that are everywhere!

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Pretty easy trail, although mud can be an issue. Very pretty destination though, and definitely a family friendly hike. Kids will love this.
I hiked this as part of the Long Trail, and so didn't hike all the way around the pond.

Only issue I had was with some dog owners. If your dog isn't well behaved, in this includes barking, please keep your dog on a leash. The racket from incessant dog barking was what prompted me to keep hiking to the next shelter.

Monday, August 18, 2014

Some rocky bits on the way to the pond, but nothing too serious. If you hike all the way around the pond, however, you'll be doing some scrambling. A little over 5 miles if you hike around the entire pond. Great trail with some beautiful views.

Monday, June 23, 2014

more than 4 mile out and back trail if you loop around the pond. beautiful trail. rocky. roots. beaver home along the way. part of the AT/LT - so be sure to say hello to the backpackers along the way. the view from the overlook (head left when the trail reaches the pond) is gorgeous. swimming at the pond - but only saw 2 crazy hikers jump in from the top overlook - most opt for the lower rock to jump in (safer in my opinion)

Monday, July 15, 2013

One of my favorite hikes. Absolutely beautiful, and while it was busy the day I hiked it, you never felt cramped. The hike to and around the trail is rated moderate, but if you go to the Little Rock Pond Overlook from the pond, add a couple of degrees of difficulty. I shot a video from the overlook that shows a 180-degree view of eastern Vermont. Check it out!

Sunday, November 04, 2012

This is a pretty easy trail. Great for family's with kids. Will be back in the summer months and bringing bathing suit to enjoy the pond. Plenty of parking at the trailhead. This trail follows a few streams along the way and was very relaxing to hear the water.