Little Rock Pond via Long Trail (Appalachian Trail)

Little Rock Pond via Long Trail (Appalachian Trail) is a 4.8 mile out and back trail located near Danby, Vermont that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, fishing, and backpacking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 544 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please note that during the winter the road leading to the trailhead may be closed. Please check with the Forest Service before visiting during winter.

A nice easy hike. Along stream much of the way with a lake at the end. Nothing difficult, but pretty scenery.

After 20-30 minutes, this was an easy trail through a beautiful forest with a streaming on one side. It got tougher from there. No steep climb, just very rocky, and having rained earlier, the rocks were on the slippery side. The Pond was beautiful. And we did the trail all the way around the pond. Fun hike! Our dog, a Vizsla, never needed any help , although he had some rock scrambling.

Great hike - done back in May. Was before bug season and leaves were just beginning to pop. Awesome weather and day.

great little hike

amazing hike! It takes around 45-50 mins to reach the pond. The pond was stunning and definitely worth the trek in. Lots of rocks and bridges along the trails which made it fun! The pond was amazing. The water was very cold and refreshing. We went in late July and it was moderately busy. Bugs weren't that bad at all! We hiked with our dog and noticed quite a few other dogs on the trail. I really recommend this hike!!

Beautiful trail, especially the loop around the pond.

Great hike still really muddy

Easy terrain, but wet and lots of downed trees . Kids had a great spring swim.

Hiked this trail in late May. Although there isn't a lot of elevation gain majority of the trail is very rocky, similar to walking in a river bed which demanded focus, careful stepping, and made the going much slower than normal. Keeping my dog on leash was a challenge because she didn't have the ability to pick her own path. Several very muddy areas and the black flies were out in droves. I wouldn't recommend this trail for younger kids who won't pay careful attention to where they walk. In the end, the pond is quite beautiful. I'd do this hike again after black fly season and leave my dog at home.

Easy trail about an hour to the pond; very muddy and wet so it’s probably better to wait until summer when it’s drier. Easy to follow, never lost the trail because it follows the creek most of the way to the pond, but that also keeps it on the wet side. Be careful on the loop around the pond (again ultra wet and slippery now in late May). When you get to the pond, I recommend going to the right and going around counter clockwise. This brings you up over the larger boulder/cliff towards the end of the loop and it’s a nice lookout spot.

This is a nice easy trail that stays at an easy slow grade up to the pond alongside a beautiful brook. Parts of the trail are fairly washed out so there are some moments where I had to check the app to make sure I was going the right way. A nice shelter and platforms when you reach the pond if you’re planning to spend the night.

This trail follows a stream up to the pond (which is beautiful). The trail is more of a river bed that can be muddy and wet. Lots of trees down on the path.

I hiked on Saturday the 13th of April and it was pretty muddy in some spots and there was a little bit of ice left on the trail around the pond. The pond itself was almost completely frozen over still

I ran this yesterday. I am glad I had my spikes with me, it was 95% snow and ice. I fell a few times when I sank or broke through the ice and snow. Fun!!

The road is closed as of today, and, according to the cop posted at the road closure sign, is nothing but ice. And probably will be for a long time. Super disappointing; wish the road closure was marked earlier, but it’s sudden, right after a curve. Will update review if we ever get to hike it.

A very nice and easy hike. We really enjoyed it and the pond was just beautiful. We ate our lunch there and dipped out feed it the water. It was really nice. However we did the hike in July and there was a lot of bugs!

Really this would probably be 3 1/2 stars for me. This hike was pretty without much elevation but like another reviewer noted it is rocky! Once you cross over the creek that whole section of the trail is super rocky. I couldn't really enjoy my surroundings, because if you looked up while walking you'd twist an ankle. Our golden retriever had a rougher time then usual too with paw placement. A 2 mile hike to the pond should have taken our family of 4 around 40 minutes or less - we hike a lot. It took us over an hour to get to pond since it was slow going with the rocky path.

Monday, October 08, 2018

Misty, foggy day, but beautiful stream-side hike. Foliage was great.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Well kept with all the traffic back and forth. Great scenery from the Green Mountain.

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Not to steep, perfect for us! Best hike I have been on in my life!