Little Ascutney Mountain

Little Ascutney Mountain is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Reading, Vermont that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

I can't recommend this hike in the warm months. The first third of the hike is completely overgrown. The weeds are literally up to your armpits. If you do decide to take the hike, wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt.

Heavily populated with Deer ticks. Dress appropriately and wear bug repellent.

I Did this in the April with my dog when the temperature was in the 30s. The road to the first gate wasn't plowed yet so I had to park just off the road. The hike from the first gate to the second is kind of brutally steep (in my out of shape opinion). Things level off after the second gate a bit. As others have suggested I took the road to the right in which I found myself crossing a brook that was probably quite high from the melting snow. I'm 6 feet tall - Shorter legs might not have allowed me to cross this without wet feet. After following the trail for about a half mile or so the road trail seemed to split with no indication which way to the top. I chose the trail to the right which seemed to be correct based on the maps. I did however eventually lose the trail and found myself bush whacking to the top of the ridge. At this point I was sort of trying following the AllTrails map of other people's hikes. This was another very steep section. I found myself back on a trail (don't think it was the same one) That followed the ridge line to the top. The trail didn't appear to me to be well marked - I will have to go back when the snow melts completely and see if the trail is easier to follow. I did however get to the top. I was also glad to have my snowshoes as I was able to follow my own tracks back.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Sure wish I knew my right from left! My daughter and I headed out to find the lost mtn known as Little Ascutney. She and some friends had attempted unsuccessfully to summit the south facing peak. So after headind through the second gate we stayed left instead of right as Eric had suggested. This brought us out to the wetlands ad then we went into the fields and looked up and chose the highest peak we could see and head for it. Well, after climbing to about 100' from the summit of Pierson Peak we could see across the valley to a higher peak, which thanks to Apple and her compass we could tell was Little Ascutney. We head down Pierson and try to bushwack up Little A but found it to thick so circled back to the wetland and the field wehere we first spotted Pierson Peak. Determined to find the damn Little A we pushed on through the fields, around the wetland and followed a combination of old logging roads, creek beds, and open sky above us to finally reach the peak of the little devil! Beautiful views from a couple spots. We decide to work our way northwest along the ridge line and find a, wait for it.....TRAIL! Low and behold a 40 minute easy hike down and we come out where had we taken a RIGHT we would have been to the top in an hour instead of the 3 it took us! It was a fun adventure for father and daughter before she heads off to college though.

Steve E.

Friday, November 27, 2015

Thursday, October 08, 2015

Saturday, October 18, 2014

This is a wilderness management area containing the Little Ascutney (1700') and Pierson (1500') peaks. Parking is near the first gate in Winter, and at the turn-around by the second gate during the warm months. The access road is very nice and even allowed my lowered car to be driven to the second gate. Passing the second gate, bear right onto the less beaten path which after a couple miles will bring you atop the south facing ridge of Little Ascutney. If you continue straight after the second gate, you'll find yourself in a small web of snowmobile trails, one of which led to a small but picturesque wetland, however the majority encircles a large field great for bird watching. None of these other snowmobile trails appeared to lead towards the Pierson summit, which I assume can only be attained by bush whacking.