Laura Cowles Trail to Sunset Ridge Trail Loop

Laura Cowles Trail to Sunset Ridge Trail Loop is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Underhill, Vermont that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice trail!!!

Tough hike with amazing views. Worth the payoff. Took us about 5.5 hours total but we took our time going relatively slower than a steady up-beat pace. The park ranger recommended we go up Laura Cowles and down Sunset Ridge, as even advanced hikers have a hard time coming down LC, and I’m very glad we followed his direction. I highly recommend doing the same.

Up Laura Cowles, down Sunset Ridge. It's the way I've done Mansfield for most of my life. Traffic can be a concern in peak seasons, but here's the move: Get up real crazy early, put on a reliable headlamp, and don some warm hiking clothes (whoa, not THAT warm, champ! This is going to be exercise, after all). Make the summit minutes before sunrise. Pour yourself a cup of coffee from your Thermos while you enjoy the show. Descend by Sunset Ridge just as the sun starts to light up the landscape below. The experience will stay with you for the rest of your life. Side note: If you plan this as a date (with the right kind of companion, of course), you're an instant legend.

Trail started out in a campground ($4 to park for the day per person). Hiked .6 miles up to the beginning of Sunet Ridge, which soon split into Laura Cowles. Laura Cowles was the most unrelenting trail I've done in Vermont, very steep with very few, if any, flat sections. It was all worth it for the great views coming above the treeline. The summit was covered in a cloud the whole time, but going down Sunset Ridge led to some of the most spectacular views.
My advice to anyone not extremely experienced, pack a LOT of water and be prepared to take most of the day. We did this in about 6 hours.

Going down this trail felt like falling down a mountainside in slow motion. Super slick and straight down, it took us an hour to go just one mile. We had gone up to the Chin via Sunset Ridge and decided to come down on Laura Cowles. If you are trying to reach the Chin I highly recommend taking Sunset Ridge instead, which leaves from the same parking lot (you have to pay $4 per person). That one has views along the hike and makes for a more varied and less grueling excursion.

Did this trail yesterday as loop. Laura cowles still rates as one of the toughest I’ve done it is uphill the whole time and doesn’t stop until you reach the top. Great views from the chin as usual. Was a warm and not much wind at all. GPS had this more like 5.4 miles round trip.

Kicked our butts. We took the Eagle cut to Ccc road to Laura Cowls Trail to the top. The LC section was steep and seemingly unending but fun in that it was a challenge — mostly a boulder and rock scramble. It had rained off and on the day before and much of the way was damp. Came down via the sunset ridge trail — easier and drier. Might try it as the way up and back if I do this Trail again. (Hubby says he never wants to do it again)

Have done this trail more than once- absolutely beautiful. Highly recommend taking the Sunset Ridge Trail up and down. I did not find it too difficult and my 3 younger siblings aged 8-12 found the trail very exciting, and loved exploring the caves on the way up!

Fun trail with a lot of great views on the way to the top! Very enjoyable

we picked Laura Cowles to hike up for sunrise. steep trail, great workout. we went at new year's day 5am. it was -20 at the bottom. the peak was way too cold to stay. had to use crampons. less exposed straight up and down. good for a night hike. we came back from the same trail because of the weather condition.

Saturday, October 14, 2017