Hell Brook (Mt. Mansfield) Trail

Hell Brook (Mt. Mansfield) Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Jeffersonville, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November.

The Hell Brook trail is a fun and challenging route to 'The Chin' of Mount Mansfield (The Summit). This is the shortest and steepest but also most technically difficult route to the summit. The trail is mostly large rocks and is usually wet. This route is considerably less busy than the popular Long Trail, which also makes it nice.

Living in Vermont for many years and doing most of the hokes on this mountain, I say this one is the best. It is challenging and has rocks you have to climb. It can be wet and slick during times of the year. I suggest parking in between this trail head and the long trail start. It is advised that you take the long trail back down.

Awesome trail, but be prepared. Just because it's fall at the base there will be snow and ice (LOTS OF ICE)

Fun hike, loved it!!!!!!!

Loved this trail!!! It was tough but was the best one I've done yet, love that you get to climb rocks ☺️

Loved this trail!

Awesome trail! I saw someone posted this trail was dog friendly so I brought my two pups. If your dog is half-mountain goat this trial is fine. My pups survived the hike but there was a lot of steep open rock face which was very difficult for my dogs to get traction on. At one point my pup slipped and almost went off part of the mountain. It was tons and tons of fun, but I would be hesitant to bring them again.

Did it in the rain and I would do it again! Steep all the way up definitely required some planned movements. The summit was beautiful slick rock and as it was raining we were in the clouds with no view but still breathtaking !

I am so happy I completed this hike. It was challenging but so fulfilling of an accomplishment. The views were absolutely gorgeous all the way up and back. This trail not for the mild hiker, but fantastic for the adventurous hiker. When you get to the top can see everything. I would do again when I get back to Vermont.

Called "hell brook" for a reason...