Hell Brook (Mt. Mansfield) Trail

Hell Brook (Mt. Mansfield) Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Jeffersonville, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November.

The Hell Brook trail is a fun and challenging route to 'The Chin' of Mount Mansfield (The Summit). This is the shortest and steepest but also most technically difficult route to the summit. The trail is mostly large rocks and is usually wet. This route is considerably less busy than the popular Long Trail, which also makes it nice.

This is a tough climb and a tougher descent. Beautiful views

There is a reason it has the word hell in the name!Hardest trail in Vermont! Need good footwear and start early in the day. Many stops made due to the 90 degree day and no cloud cover. The trail connects into long trail at the Adam's apple cutoff.

Good workout and a fast way to the summit of Mansfield. I wouldn't recommend bringing dogs as there are a lot of steep parts and large rocks to maneuver around. It can be done but you might be giving the dog a boost in certain spots.

Very challenging but really cool hike! The climb up was exhausting but the views at the top were worth it. The round trip took five and a half hours for my girlfriend and I - not experienced hikers but in good shape. Not sure how other people managed it in 1.5 hours! Avoid going if it's raining, there are lots of steep rock scrambles that would be very tricky if they were wet.

Great trail for a 1.5 hour hard hike. We went for sunrise and hiked the trail at 3 am. I highly suggest doing this! The chin (viewpoint top) was incredible. Very worth it!

Challenging, fun, good views. Do it!

Super-challenging but an exhilarating quick route to the top of Mansfield. Not for the faint of heart

This is a grueling hike but fun if you are up for the challenge. It is a quick hike up to the peak of Mansfield, but you are in for a workout. There are spots where bouldering is required to continue upwards. Definitely don't descend via this trail, I like either the long trail or the cliff trail to Stowe. Basically a stair master for 1.4 hours, nothing but vertical gain

Hiked up 6/12/17 . we were fortunate that the trail was drier than we had expected after so much rain the week before. Was a great hike up Hellbrook, across the ridge and down Hazelton. The only drawback is Hazelton dumps you out 1 mile away from the entrance to Hellbrook making you walk up RT 108 to get back to your vehicle, tremendous views and a few spots that are sketchy but nothing to intimidating as long as you plan your steps carefully.

Well-marked. Stunning views. Requires a bit of bouldering, but nothing technical. However, I recommend going back to rte 108 via the Long Trail.

Living in Vermont for many years and doing most of the hokes on this mountain, I say this one is the best. It is challenging and has rocks you have to climb. It can be wet and slick during times of the year. I suggest parking in between this trail head and the long trail start. It is advised that you take the long trail back down.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Awesome trail, but be prepared. Just because it's fall at the base there will be snow and ice (LOTS OF ICE)

Monday, October 17, 2016

Fun hike, loved it!!!!!!!

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Loved this trail!!! It was tough but was the best one I've done yet, love that you get to climb rocks ☺️

Friday, September 16, 2016

Loved this trail!

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Awesome trail! I saw someone posted this trail was dog friendly so I brought my two pups. If your dog is half-mountain goat this trial is fine. My pups survived the hike but there was a lot of steep open rock face which was very difficult for my dogs to get traction on. At one point my pup slipped and almost went off part of the mountain. It was tons and tons of fun, but I would be hesitant to bring them again.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Did it in the rain and I would do it again! Steep all the way up definitely required some planned movements. The summit was beautiful slick rock and as it was raining we were in the clouds with no view but still breathtaking !

Monday, July 25, 2016

I am so happy I completed this hike. It was challenging but so fulfilling of an accomplishment. The views were absolutely gorgeous all the way up and back. This trail not for the mild hiker, but fantastic for the adventurous hiker. When you get to the top can see everything. I would do again when I get back to Vermont.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Called "hell brook" for a reason...

Sunday, July 03, 2016