Haystack Mountain Trail

Haystack Mountain Trail is a 4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Wilmington, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,026 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Nice quick hike up to the summit. Snow gave it a fun element! A bit icy in parts, theres a woods detour around a particularly icy incline in a stream bed.

icy

icy

Lovely hike and great views at the top. However, the snow and ice made this more difficult than moderate. I can’t say I’d do this trail again until spring. Even with the right footwear it was challenging!

Easy to find trail, recommend an early start as it gets quite crowded. Overall an easy to moderate hike, a few steep sections and quite a bit of mud/water in the trail (in late fall). Summit area is very small, but view is worth the hike. Trail markers are sparse but trail is easy to follow, but pay attention to trail markers because otherwise you will miss turn to summit.

This was a moderate trail with lots of rocky areas and somewhat steep inclines. There was a section with trees down, but there was a clear path made to walk around them and go just a little out of the way. You could also just climb under the trees, which is what I did. there's only one look out at the very top, but beautiful views worth the hike. The trail was seemingly well-maintained, and there were only a couple of minor muddy patches today. I took my time at the top taking pictures, and the trail from bottom to top and back with plenty of rest time at the top took me 3 hours. I started around noon, and passed several people going up, but no one coming back, so it wasn't crowded at all. I had the entire top to myself to take pictures the entire time I was up there. I almost missed the sign at the very top where it tells you to turn to reach the peak, so pay attention to where you're walking!

Definitely a high traffic trail, but we still had parts were we got to enjoy nature without anyone around. Parking also wasn’t an issue. Definitely bring your own water too. The trail was fairly well marked, but very rocky so hiking boots are a must. We saw a bunch of small kids enjoying the hike, but also be ready for some steep terrain. The views at the top were stunning as was the autumn foliage!

I had done very few hikes before this. This was my first hike that I found through this app. The trail itself is amazing. Went in October during fall peak. The view from the summit is absolutely mesmerizing.

Great view and fall foliage! Nice nooks at the top to discover. Not particularly hard hike.

Great and easy trail! Well maintained. Took my boyfriend and I about 1:20 to get up and back. Would highly recommend going to beer naked afterwards and treat yourself to a polish plate!

wonderful little hike with a great view at the summit. Very heavily trafficked though, and limited space at the summit. The place might benefit from having a few trees cut down to prevent the crowding.

Relatively easy hike with a great view at the summit. The trail takes a right hand turn at about 0.3 miles before the summit. There is a small wooden sign at the turn pointing the correct direction, but If you're not paying attention it's easy to miss. This is a heavily trafficked trail with a relatively small overlook at the summit. Didn't really enjoy this hike due to the constant flow of people and the crowded summit. If you enjoy solitude and quiet, this is probably best hiked during a weekday.

Overall very nice trail, well groomed, and easy to follow. lots of rocks at first. the view is excellent in the fall!

Nice trail. Pretty easy. Decent view at the end. Not too muddy.

I loved this hike. It was a gradual climb. Very rocky, and a bit slippery since it seemed to have just rained before we got there. It took us 1 hour to the summit. The leaves on the ground made it a bit slippery, but it was great otherwise. Very foggy at the summit, will have to come back again to see the view on a clear day.

Sorry, got my trails mixed up. Very nice trail, easy to maneuver. Waterfall trail was Hamilton Falls near Jamaica, Vt.

recorded Haystack Mountain Trail

Unless you only hike on flat surfaces, I'd rate this trail as easy. Decent view, no bugs, path is cleared of debris, and easy to follow. We passed a 3 year old heading to the summit on our way down. Decent views over to NH. The turn to the summit is marked, but if you forget to look up you'll go right by it. (We found it, but another couple missed it at first.)

deffinetly need good boots

this is about 50 minutes up at a moderate pace. the trail has a couple of trees down, but they are easy to get by. On 9/21 the bugs were not an issue. the views are nice.