Grout Pond Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near West Wardsboro, Vermont that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 249 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

Nice hike. Some good views of the lake from the campsite at the beginning but mostly a walk through the woods - still lovely. Was a little muddy but always passable.

recorded Grout Pond Trail

icy

icy

Wonderful little hike to clear the cobwebs. The pond was frozen over so we had the chance to walk out into the middle of it as well and watch some ice-fishing. The trails were snow covered and used as cross country trials, but were still great for hiking even without snow shoes, as long as you stay on the hardpack.

Getting there on Kelly Stand Road took longer than the hike! Miles of gravel road, but it was in good shape. Did the Pond Loop. Well marked and colors were enjoyable.

Links the Pond Loop to the Catamount Trail and ends at the tip of Somerset Resevoir

The best trail is around the pond. A bit muddy but well marked However DO NOT TRY THE EAST TRAIL. VERY WET EVEN IN DRY CONDITIONS. POORLY MARKED AND MANY DROPDOWNS.

Nice short, easy hike. The pond is lovely, but you can't see it from the trail. Recommend wearing long pants as you need to walk through brush for part of the trail and it was itchy with my capris. Be careful- some of the wooden planks are rotted/loose.

I wish I has mapped out more of this area. halfway through this loop the trail meets with three other large loops. The East loop was closed but I did it anyway. VERY muddy, but worth the views. Great trail for 'the floor is lava' style trail running.

Mon Sep 17 2018

Great easy flat hike.

Fri Aug 24 2018

Not that much to see, much of the trail is not that close to the water. The first 1/3 was the best scenery. Next time I would bring a picnic & have lunch at one of the empty campsites by the water. Although there are many boardwalks, there is an abundance of very muddy areas that you need to slowly circumnavigate, and that’s not easy with a dog who likes to walk fast.

Sat Aug 11 2018

Did trail after heavy rain which made East and North pretty wet. However views of pond great.Also a great "Boardwalk" that takes you thru a bog with views of a beaver house. Swim at beach after hike makes it very special.

Sat May 19 2018

We were dropped off grout pond road and hiked our way back to Mont Snow. It was almost 12 miles and grout pond was the first part of the hike. Amazing day!!! Lots of unbelievable views! We saw tons of moose tracks and moose poop but no moose. I am sure there are many sightings on this trail. The catamount trail is what we took all the way down to the dam and then we hiked a snowmobile trail back to mont snow. My biggest knock on the AllTrails app is it kills your phone battery.

Thu Oct 13 2016

This is actually a loop around the pond and it's not 5.1 miles it's only about two and three-quarters of a mile. It can be muddy at times but still always beautiful. a great place for snowshoeing and cross-country skiing, but the road down to the pond is closed during the winter. I highly recommend this, one of my favorite places!

Wed Feb 08 2012

This is a great trail for an afternoon by yourself. It has beautiful scenery and not too many people on it. Next time though I will remember to go there with snowshoes when there is more snow on the ground or break out my ice cleats. Parts of the trail are covered in a sheet of ice.