Glastenbury Mountain via Long Trail (Appalachian Trail)

Glastenbury Mountain via Long Trail (Appalachian Trail) is a 22.6 mile out and back trail located near Bennington, Vermont that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I hiked here as part of a 65 mile section of the Long Trail I was doing. The hike is was fairly difficult with a lot of ups and downs. The top of Glastenbury has an old fire tower with amazing views in all directions. The shelter is a little ways downhill from the summit. I would recommend returning to the fire tower to watch the sunset after you set up camp.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Friday, February 21, 2014

a buddy and I did this in January 2014. We started at route 9 and snow shoed all the way in to the GOddard Shelter, and back out the next morning instead of the west ridge. It was EXTREMELY cold overnight with ambient temps below zero and wind chills around -30. In the morning we made our way up tto the top of the fire tower, then broke trail the whole way out. It was somewhat grueling and should not be taken lightly in the winter. Would have gotten five stars, except you don't get much in the way of views, and the AT blazes are very worn so trail finding in deep fresh snow can be interesting...