Glastenbury Mountain via Long Trail (Appalachian Trail)

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(22)
Woodford State Park

Glastenbury Mountain via Long Trail (Appalachian Trail) is a 22.4 mile out and back trail located near Bennington, Vermont that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 22.4 miles Elevation Gain: 5,400 feet Route Type: Out & Back

There is still snow at the end. I mean snow up to the middle of my thigh, falling through, wet snow. I advise you wait for it to melt before setting out on this trail.

Great trail. As many mentioned before, first part of the trail is a rapid ascent. I had the pleasure of hiking with a friend of mine and we kept each other going. If you go after a rainstorm expect the trail to soggy for multiple days after as much of the trail is in the shade. Plenty of campsites along the trail. Many water sources except over one stretch of about 4 miles leading up to Glastenbury summit. Can absolutely be done in a day if you start early.

Beautiful! My GPS said 10.2 to the fire tower. Trail signs say 10.1. Friendly folks and very well maintained trail. Met some trail stewards while we were out there! Absolutely lovely way to spend 14 hours.

Fri Apr 19 2019

This trail is tough , you start with 1 mile of just straight going up , defiantly if your backpacking do not carry so much , I learned my lesson , it’s very tough but defiantly worth it ! Pack light !

Sun Jul 15 2018

Parts of this trail are on the difficult side but overall a doable hike considering the distance taking breaks it was doable to get to the Goddard shelter in about 6-7 hours and we are far from being in top physical shape. The biggest struggle is water conservation there’s about a 4-5 mile stretch with no water access without taking a half mile detour to a pond. I would highly recommend doing this hike in late June to mid July if you don’t mind sharing campsites with through hikers we probably met 15 people that were on there way to Maine from Georgia. The views aren’t especially rewarding for how rigorous this hike is

Thu Jun 21 2018

We walked in and out -20 miles - in nine hours. We were moving fairly quickly the whole time with only a few short breaks. Decided to turn around a mile and a half short of fire tower in order to get back to route 9 before dark. Intense bugs in early june. bring bug spray and consider purchasing one of those hats with netting over the face. moderately challenging. The pros: once you get in a few miles it is not well travelled and feels very remote. no noise except the forest. the con: kind of boring as there are no views during the ten miles walking north from route 9 and the scenery does not change much.

Sat Jun 09 2018

Do not underestimate this trail. The beginning from rt 9 is a test of your will. A large elevation climb. It is a tough trail in good weather and conditions.

Wed Aug 09 2017

I hiked here as part of a 65 mile section of the Long Trail I was doing. The hike is was fairly difficult with a lot of ups and downs. The top of Glastenbury has an old fire tower with amazing views in all directions. The shelter is a little ways downhill from the summit. I would recommend returning to the fire tower to watch the sunset after you set up camp.

Fri Feb 21 2014

a buddy and I did this in January 2014. We started at route 9 and snow shoed all the way in to the GOddard Shelter, and back out the next morning instead of the west ridge. It was EXTREMELY cold overnight with ambient temps below zero and wind chills around -30. In the morning we made our way up tto the top of the fire tower, then broke trail the whole way out. It was somewhat grueling and should not be taken lightly in the winter. Would have gotten five stars, except you don't get much in the way of views, and the AT blazes are very worn so trail finding in deep fresh snow can be interesting...

Sat May 18 2019