Gile Mountain Trail is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Norwich, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 393 feet Route Type: Out & Back

It was a good short hike with a well maintained trail. The most notable thing about the trail is the large amount of stone steps leading to the top. For me who is not in great shape it was a nice little challenge although I thought the steps would go on forever. Be careful of the roots at the beginning of the trail. I tripped and fell on a root almost immediately after I started the trail which didn’t feel great given all the steps. There is a tower at the top but we didn’t go up due to obviously partying kids.

Super easy hike but very nice! An excellent family hike and the tower was so cool, a view that goes on for miles

Easy hike, barely any muddy spots. Sunrise on top of the tower was beautiful!

Short and easy hike fun fire tower but people need to remember to keep their dogs on leashes, we had our dogs and unleashed dogs ran up to ours. Luckily no fighting. Fun hike.

A short easy hike my only problem is people not having dogs leashed like the rules say. My friend and I had our 3 leashed girls and even though they are good with others it could have been disastrous when we met another pair and their two unleashed dogs.

Nice day hike but busy with folks

Very quick and easy hike, no snow at the top but some slippery spots at the beginning.

This trail is really fun in mushroom season - there is a lot of tree cover that’s conducive to moss and fungi. Its relatively short, features many rock stairs, and the fire tower provides fantastic views of VT and NH - this would be a great spot for fall foliage views. Trailhead is off an unpaved road not far from the town streets of Norwich.

There is a hornets nest on the top of the tower. You can still go most of the way up the tower and get a partial view, but it’s not as good as the top. Hopefully someone will take care of it. No other bug issues.

Great for kids. The good view is at the top of the fire tower which was pretty scary to go up with my 3-year-old. Great quick hike with an easy elevation gain.

Easy hike in that the steeper sections are stepped, 95% shaded, trail is in good condition (late July). We went out and back in 45 minutes, including climbing the fire tower at the top (which is worth the extra climb for both the view and the breeze) and generally taking our time. Tennis shoes are fine, though not my normal choice for such.

Great easy hike for those of us getting back into it. I couldn't quite make it all the way to the top of the tower though (afraid of heights), which is too bad because I've heard the views are wonderful.

Really a lot of bang for your buck with this trail. Fairly easy and short hike with a solid view at the end. A good spot for out of towners who are visiting but not a candidate for a long strenuous hike.

one of my favorites! we've hiked and snowshoed, great for both. be careful on the tower when it is wet!

Sun Dec 30 2018

had a great time hiking up to the fire tower with my dogs this weekend. It was snowing, so the steps were a little slippery on the way back. No problemo though. We had a blast and will be back!

Fri Sep 14 2018

an easy hike with nice elevation gain and view from the firetower. :D trail can be done in all seasons but mudseason ;)

Sun Sep 02 2018

Great small trail. A LOT of steps though. We counted 324 not including the fire tower.  but, worth it! We did it with our 6 month old pup and 4 year old son, no issues.

Fri Aug 31 2018

Loved this hike!!! Didn’t take too long to get to the top- trail well maintained - easy going. Fire tower at top has amazing 360 views! Great for kids- easy for a hike with baby on your back.

Fri Aug 17 2018

Did this trail in an hour with 3 kids, and that included 20 mins spent at the fire tower at the top and 5 mins picking blackberries on the way down. Easy trail, mostly rock “stairs.”

Mon May 28 2018

This trail is now open as of 5/19/18. http://norwich.vt.us/gile-mountain-trail-closed/

Wed May 09 2018

Is the trail open for the season yet? I heard it was recently closed for mud season, but it has been very dry recently.

Sat Apr 21 2018

This trail has been closed for a ridiculous amount of time.... We used to hike it all the time!

Fri Sep 15 2017

Wonderful hike. Currently, Turnpike Rd., is closed due to damage caused by the July 1 rainstorm. The trail is officially closed.

Sat Jun 03 2017

great for a quickie trail fix to de-urbanize. the views from the fire tower are a great treat!

Tue Feb 28 2017

Did it with kids ages 4-8. Tower at the top is a treat.