Futures Trail

Futures Trail is a 8.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Windsor, Vermont that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and scenic driving and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

scenic driving

Directions from Ascutney, VT: Travel to Interstate 91 (Exit 8). Travel 2 miles north on US 5. Bear left onto SR 44A and travel northwest for 1 mile. The trail begins adjacent to campsite #22.

I passed two hikers less than a mile in, but didn't see a single person after that, except for those who drove to the summit. The trail is very nice and clearly lightly used, many sections were overgrown. There are several side trails you can take that lead to rocky, quiet views. This trail has a reasonable amount of up and down, and may not be great if you have knee problems.

( hiked this in 2015) This was just a giant mistake. My mum, sister and I were stupid. We hiked the windsor trail up (mistake one). We had the chance to take the slot trail down (we're camping on the mountain) instead we take this one because it leads right to our campsite ( big mistake two) we think it'll just be an quick and easy trip down.. no no it took us like 4 hours to get down and for us the trail wasn't in great condition at the time.. I slip and fall and bite the tip of my tongue off! SO.. I advise that unless you are a physically experienced hiker I do not recommended this as this hike was not great. beautiful view tho.

Did the entire futures trail from beginning to end. Me and my partner are both pretty fit and this hike was tough for us. The payoff off at the summit was rather disappointing. Liked that is was a more natural trail and definitely had a few pretty sections. The view from Brownsville was actually better than the summit. Wouldn’t hike it again though.

we did this a few yrs ago. yes it was hard. I had to stop while my husband went on. the trail was natural, which was great. my husband took some amazing photos. the view was awesome

Friday, June 16, 2017

Fun hike that feels very rugged - unfortunately the summit is pretty lame and requires an observation tower

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Pretty hard hike. Make sure you check out the west peak view. It's amazing compared to the summit view.

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Hiked the Brownsville trail good hike steep in spots. You go by a old granite corey on the way up. Great view from the top of the fire tower just have to ignore the ugly radio towers.

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Decent little campground but nowhere near the Brownsville trail lol; actually the Futures trail starts inside the park but thats the longest way to the summit and parallels the auto road. The Windsor and Brownsville trails are few miles down the road.

Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Nice drive up the auto road for a great view. There's a short spur trail great for kids from the parking lot to the actual summit, only takes a few minutes. The summit has one of the nicest viewing platforms in the area complete with placards showing the viewer which peaks they are seeing in any given direction. The West lookout and hang glider launch offers a nice smooth spot to eat lunch and take in views.

Friday, August 29, 2014

Challenging loop trail that encompasses most of the mountain as it winds its way around the dome. Very scenic but prepare for a long day on what is in my opinion, the steepest three thousand footer in the area. very reasonable lookout tower at the summit offers exceptional 360 views.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Awesome hike did Brownsville trail alot if good look out points and steep inclines and neat observation tower at top. Took about 2.5 hours up and hour 1.5 down

Saturday, February 25, 2012

A perfect trail for a half day hike. There were some beautiful sights along the way. There were quite a few people out on the trail and we didn't find ourselves alone very often. Many trails meet at the top where there is an observation tower. Not quite the quiet rock face summit we had hoped for and not really a great spot to stop, have lunch, and take in the sights.

Saturday, November 05, 2016