Learn more

Falls of Lana Trail is a 4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Salisbury, Vermont that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,358 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail offers gorgeous views of Lake Dunmore. Please note Rattlesnake Cliff area and access to the cliff overlook are closed March 1 - August 15 to protect Peregrine Falcons. Other trails such as Oak Ride, North Brand, and Moosalamoo remain open to the public. The small segment between the Aunt Jennings trail and the Oakridge trail has been closed and replaced with switch backs to the north east connecting to Oakridge trail farther north east.

Not sure, I enjoyed it the first half, but then there was a lot of bugs, then some guy that looked like Sylvester Stallone started lecturing and yelling at me about "Back there I could fly a gunship, I could drive a tank, I was in charge of million dollar equipment, back here I can't even hold a job parking cars!"

The entire loop here isn't very exciting or interesting. Once you get passed the well-trafficked falls - which to their credit are awesome with spring melt and rains - the scenery and vegetation on the steep ascent is monotonous. There's some switchbacks that offer some intrigue, but overall it just felt monotone.

A little wet but overall nice and quite.

Amazing trail!!! Might be my all time fave. I like that it’s not as heavily trafficked as others in the area. View at the top is incredible of the lake and mountains.

we did it backwards so quite a hard way up but really easier on the way back. point of view worth it

Lovely view at the top. Very steep trail, especially for someone who's from a flat state like me. Remember to bring lots of water with you. Listen for common ravens near the ridge.

We took the Aunt Jenny trail up and back. It was pretty steep, but nothing to crazy. The view was amazing. The trail has been rerouted towards the top, so this map is not completely accurate. It was easy to follow the new route though so don’t be discouraged.

recorded Falls of Lana Trail

Great hike! A bit on the steeper for the first few miles, be ready to work hard.

I took the Rattlesnake Cliffs trail up (right fork) and the other trail down to do the whole loop. About three miles up to the vista and very worthwhile. I would suggest coming after August 15 so you can see the view! After this I did the trail around Silverlake. Compared to the hike up to Rattlesnake Cliffs it was pretty easy. The terrain around the lake was half through the woods and half through a campground. Both trails together were about 9.5 miles and took about 4.5 hours. I wasn’t in a rush so stopped to take in the views along the way.

It is about 3 miles one way up to Rattlesnake Cliff. All up hill. View is Amazing. My Two little dogs were able to do the 6 mile loop.

recorded Falls of Lana Trail

It’s awesome but little challenging. You have to go little rocky downhill to see the beautiful view.

I walked falls of Lana up to rattlesnake cliffs. Man let me tell you there was a lot of excitement at the beginning with the massive falls, but an abysmally boring and strenuous hike up rattlesnake trail. Several times I thought about turning around BUT BOY AM I GLAD I KEPT GOING. The views from rattlesnake cliff vistas were ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL. There was a nest of paragrin falcons that started flying around and put on a show. I highly recommend this trail.

My husband an I took the Falls of Lana trail then turned left at the fork towards Aunt Jenny trail then ridge trail on rattlesnake cliff towards the cliff view. They rerouted the trail to the cliff ledge so we went a round about way but we don’t mind. It’s to protect the habitat for the peregrine falcons and lessen the maintenance for the park. So we went to and back. Please note: my recorder shows a lengthy hike because I am a super slow hiker and the elevation was so steep in most areas of the hike that I had to stop a lot. The view at the end is so worth it. Icing on the cake 3 peregrine falcons were flying around like giving us an air show. Awesome! Loved the challenging terrain. Highly recommend.

Trail was in great conditions, not many people on a Thursday in September. Views from the top of Rattlesnake Cliffs are amazing, it showcases were the Green Mountains and the Champlain Valley meet. Falls of Lana are also definitely worth the trip and aren't very far from the parking area

The falls are not much to see. Rattlesnake cliff very nice views and soaring falcons. Perfect lunch spot. AllTrails shows old trail that has been blocked by trail people because they don’t want to maintain it. Hence hike is a bit longer

The falls are near the beginning of the hike. It’s a good view from the bridge but that’s really it for the water. The highlight of this hike is the view at the top from Rattlesnake Cliffs. This area can only be accessed after August 1 due to Peregrine falcon nesting. If you come here during the nesting season, walk to the the falls and then hike to Silver Lake instead, saving the hike up to Rattlesnake Cliffs when you can get great views.

recorded Falls of Lana Trail

Multiple beautiful swimming holes!

What a awesome place.

good hike, bring your bug spray, up and then down

Mon Jun 03 2019

Fun trail decent challenge yet not over bearing. The differing terrain and trails made this a fun hike.

Thu May 09 2019

Enjoyable hike to take!

closed
Wed Apr 17 2019

not accessible to summit due to falcon nesting until August. clearly people are still going because the parking lot is packed and didn't run into anyone on trail. read the signs!

Mon Nov 05 2018

Perfect day. The stream was rushing wild. Needed more time to explore the lower falls. Foliage was past peak but still spectacular!