Learn more

Cooley Glen and Emily Proctor Trails

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(24)
Green Mountain National Forest

Cooley Glen and Emily Proctor Trails is a 11.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Ripton, Vermont that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.3 miles Elevation Gain: 3,166 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from South Lincoln, VT: Travel south on Forest Road 54. Travel about 4 miles and turn left (east) onto Forest Road 201 and continue .3 mile to the trailhead parking.

taking Emily Proctor to Cooley Glen was the way to go. the incline on EP is not too intense and doesn’t show up until the last 1/3 of the trail. coming down CG allowed for a nice river dip and lounge. at the half way point there is an exposed vista with a view. nice hike if you’re seeking solitude 3 stars due to minimal views.

clockwise

This trail is a blast if you’re looking to get away and not see much foot traffic! Arriving at the trailhead is misleading from all the local camping spots it seemed crowded but my boyfriend and I only saw maybe 4 other hikers. We climbed up Emily Proctor steadily, it’s a hell of a vertical climb. If you’re looking to train elevation this is the trail for you! We were so close to Breadloaf Mt. we popped over there then hit the LT North to Cooley Glen, ended up being a 15 mile hike! Such a long beautiful hike. Not a ton of summits but if you keep your eyes peeled some of the vista views are incredible!

5-25 Typical spring conditions. I went up Cooley Glen (great condition) and south on the LT (muddy/ snow) to Emily Proctor (wet at the top). I ran it in 4 hours and encountered 9 people along the way. Not many views from this loop but the vertical gain is what I was after!

3/22 30 degrees and sunny. I only did the Cooley Glen Trail out and back. The trail was not muddy today and there was packed snow for most of the way. I was glad to have my spikes. There’s a few sketchy stream crossings (I took a small dip by accident). It was a steady ascent not too difficult with lots of river views. I enjoyed this hike and look forward to doing the loop this summer. The LT South from Cooley Glen Shelter was not obvious so it makes me wonder if people do this loop in the winter.

Tue Sep 12 2017

awesome hike. my wife and i did the whole loop. tons of climbing but well worth it. beautiful and quiet. almost saw no one. definitely recommended.

Thu Aug 10 2017

Great trail with some fun challenging points. I went with my girlfriend for her first backpacking trip. We arrived at 16:00 on a Saturday and made it up past Cooley shelter on the first day going the reverse of the typical route. Found a decent camp site. Too many dead trees for my comfort, but none particularly menacing or large. Second day broke camp late and made it to the overlook. Pretty nice view from there. Finished by coming down the Emily Proctor trail back to the parking lot about 1700 on Sunday. Light to moderate traffic on the trail. Conditions were muddy and night time was cold. Only major note is the limited water opportunities on the ridge line. I average 4-6 liters/day of water while backpacking and would have packed 4 liters instead of the 2 I normally pack. Otherwise a good fun trail challenging enough for a sense of accomplishment without breaking ankles.i

Mon Jul 17 2017

we did this without the Emily proctor bit, so cooley glen to the cooley glen shelter, then up to mount grant, then out to mount wilson, I think, and back to shelter, then down to car. pluses: not too crowded, even on a holiday weekend. pretty Moss and river. minuses: wet and muddy!!! my feet were damp almost all the time, and it had been a day since the last rain at the start of our trip. good view from Wilson or was it Roosevelt? but the mud and essentially walking up a stream at times lowers the rating.

Thu Jun 01 2017

Great hike with lots of different trails (narrow, rocky, steep, large). Started with the Cooley Glen trail which was a good choice since the Emily Proctor trail is quite steep near the top. Stayed overnight near the Cooley Glen shelter with our tent. Did not see a lot of animals, but lots of pretty flowers! The trails are very quiet and you don't see that many hikers so it's perfect for some alone and peaceful time. Highly recommend!

Tue May 30 2017

Awesome loop.

Tue May 30 2017

great trail, started up Emily Proctor which was steep and wet, but made for an enjoyable challenge and nice hike down the Long Trail and Cooley Glen the next day.

Sun Sep 25 2016

Beautiful trail.

Sat Sep 17 2016

Really enjoyed the hike. Camped over in the Emily Proctor Shelter. Ascended Cooley Glen, hike north to Mount Grant, then South to Emily Proctor. Carried 4 litres of water, but didn't need to. The Emily Proctor shelter had a good water source. Great view from Mount Wilson.

Sun Jun 10 2018