Colchester Pond

Colchester Pond is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Colchester, Vermont that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Perfect hike for me and my wife who is newer to hiking. A section along the pond and a section in the woods with a few hills.

It was fun !! Definitely do it again

For an easy hike it was great. We went on Aug 25, 2017 with our children and our friends kids ages ranging from infant to 15. My four year old got tired at the end but everyone else got through with easy. The parents of the infant actually held the infant the whole time jut switching back and forth. Great sunset ending. Took less than two hours.

Looking for a quick trail run with our 2 pups. This didn't disappoint. We went on a Wednesday morning and were the only few people on the trail. Thoroughly enjoyed the mix of field, forest and moderate incline areas. Will def be back if looking for a quick workout to tire out our 2 large dogs!

I bring my dog here quite regularly to walk/run the loop trail circumnavigating the pond. It's a beautiful loop and if you hit it during the right time of the day you might even have the pleasure of having it to yourself. It is mostly flat with some short hill sections that are actually rather steep. Would definitely recommend for dog owners, fisherman or anyone looking for a nice quiet run or walk.

paddle sports

Beautiful pond. Went on a warm, calm day; water like glass. Nice scenery, a few other kayakers out there, paddle board too. Kids playing on a rope swing. Saw various birds, including gulls and a fisher diving from the trees. Turtles, and a beautiful mink on the shoreline. Had to carry boat about 40 yards down to the water.

Beautiful scenery and a fairly easy hike. I did it with my two year old attached to me, but due to all this rain the last mile of trails were really muddy and then swampy through the fields at the end. Save this hike for a day when it hasn't been raining for a few days.

I hiked this trail two days after rain carrying my toddler in the backpack. It was suggested as an easy hike. Several of the inclines were very steep. The trails have been maintained in several areas but with any inclement weather I imagine they are very swampy. My dog and I left very muddy.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Relaxing easy hike.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

A great walk, not to challenging.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Easy hike/walk. Some elevation gain but mostly flat. Wooded trails that are well maintained. Parking is limited.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Great hike with the kids to the peninsula.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Nice hike with some elevation and woods.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

One of our favorite places to hike close to home and a good workout

Friday, June 24, 2016

Very nice trail with a couple nice fishing spots. Walk left at the boat launch and just follow the trail to the rope swing. Caught 3 northern pike on the log. Nice spot !!!!

Friday, June 24, 2016

The trail is well maintained and clearly marked. It offers sights of the pond and also the woods. I would call this hike a moderate only because some might find the small elevation gains a challenge, if you are looking for a just plain flat walk because of injury, stability, or what have you.... Those two points might be a challenge. With this said I was coming back from an injury and handled it fine. Personally I like the flats, but also the elevation as it helped to get me ready for the season of hiking.

I love the loop. It offers a bit of everything, for a small trail. I go back often.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Great place to go for a quick hike or a beautiful ride in the kayak. Very dog and kid friendly.

Friday, May 20, 2016

It was a fun loop very easy!

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Easy trail with a couple of inclines to get your heart rate up. Great for younger hikers

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Great peaceful hike. Easy to moderate – definitely not flat. 2 to 3 fairly serious inclines. Very nice scenery and lots of boardwalks.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Great, beautiful scenery. Only downside was the reviews stated a completely flat hike, however be warned there are 2 or 3 serious inclines, nothing to extreme to handle but definitely not flat.

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Very sweet loop around pond. There were many ice fishers and figure skaters on the pond today. Unfortunately, parts of the trails were pretty slick with ice, which was especially difficult on the few steep grades.

Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Really great spot for a short hike. I went a couple of times with my dog, took our time, had lunch halfway around the pond. Lots of nice wooded spots and a couple benches around the pond to stop and look out. Bug spray is a must!

Monday, December 21, 2015

This is has been mine and my wife's favorite go to place since moving up here. Whenever we want to get out, but don't have time for a long trek, this is where we go.

Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Beautiful easy hike around the pond. Logged a geocache along the way. Lots of mosquitoes though as it got later in the afternoon and lots of mud.

Friday, December 26, 2014

A long hike around the pond in the melting ice and snow on Christmas Day. Good views of the water from the west and south sides. Would do it again.

Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Nice easy loop around the lake. Ive been here in the spring and winter. Some slightly steep areas that are slick if muddy or snowy but otherwise no problems. Well marked trail.

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Fun easy hike! Extremely similar to Niquette Bay State Park in distance and flora/fauna. Hiked it in mid-October with no problems with mud or water except in the farm fields that you pass through at the end. This would be a great trail run, minus all of the fallen leaves and pine needles.

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Great hike. Trail makes a large loop and follows the lake. Can be muddy at times if wet weather. A great snow shoe trail in the winter as well.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Excellent hike. Hiked during a rainy few weeks. Lots of ankle deep mud and aggressive skeeters so make sure you're prepared with boots and bug spray! Very pleasant and enjoyable 3 mi hike.