Camel's Hump via Long Trail Loop

Camel's Hump via Long Trail Loop is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Duxbury, Vermont that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

LOVED this hike. 1st week of June (two weeks after trials opened for the season). Taking the Deans Trail up to the Long Trail was the correct decision for heading up to the summit (vs the counterclockwise loop). I am 5'-7" and 150lbs, pretty athletic and comfortable on hike. My fiancee is only 5'-1" and struggled a bit on the steeper and more Rocky sections. She's athletic but not as comfortable with balance. We made the summit in 4hrs (due to end of Deans Trail and the Long Trail South up to the summit being the toughest). This loop is done clockwise, there is a counterclockwise option of going up Monroe to the Summit and down LT and Dean. I would not recommend the counterclockwise option. Out and back on Monroe is also a good option. See below.

- Monroe to Dean: Easiest section of the hike. Pleasant and enjoyable. Would rate it as moderate to light-moderate depending on your fitness level.

- Dean to Long Trail: Moderate to Difficult. Great streams along the way, narrow and rockier than Monroe. Some sections are steep. Difficult uphill and really difficult downhill.

- Long Trail South to Summit: Difficult. All rocks with a continuous, steep vertical. I had trouble once or twice with the size of the rocks. I couldn't imagine enjoying that route down.

- Summit to Long Trail North to Monroe: Moderate to Light Difficult. After going up the south side the north was a piece of cake. Still challenging but very doable.

Very hard and very satisfying! My first ever mountain hike!

Awesome hike! I felt like Frodo and my dog was Sam pushing me along. Unfortunately we didn’t quite make the summit (we took the bypass at 0.2 miles from the summit) since my dog couldn’t make the vertical rock climbing part. Have to do it again not via the long trail and see if we can reach the summit. Even though we didn’t reach the summit there were still some amazing views

A great quick hike with an amazing view at top. Arrived at 11am and finished at 3pm.

Very pretty forest walk. The path is well-marked; a steady, continual climb. For your hiking shoes, as a path is gravel, and rocky in areas. There are no waterfalls or creek at this time of the year. Bring your bug spray because at the top of the flies will attack. Beautiful views!

Bring a camera