Camel's Hump Loop via Burrows Trail

Camel's Hump Loop via Burrows Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Huntington, Vermont that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This 4,083 foot peak has a very unique summit cone that gives it its name. You'll be following the Burrows Trail through Camel's Hump State Park for just over 5 miles round trip. Right before you reach the summit you'll come to the junction of the Long Trail which you will follow up the steep cone to the summit. From there you can continue down Long Trail to Forest City Trail, or return the way you came.

Fun until I saw a bear! I ran

I love this trail

Considering I’m 63, have two hip replacements, a knee replacement, and most of my back is fused, I’m darn impressed with myself for doing this one. So worth the sweat for views, on the way up and down, and at the summit. Very safe and well maintained trail.

Great

Loved this trail. Went up Forest City/LT and down Burrows. The last mile up to the top felt death defying! A scramble on the edge of a cliff. Outside our comfort zone and that made it scary - and awesome!

One of my favorite hikes in this area. A beautiful trail with a beautiful view. Bring a jacket for the summit.

one of my four hikes in Vt that I go back to. really enjoy this hike.

This hike is challenging but worth the reward! The summit has an incredible 360 degree view and is gorgeous in any season.

This was quite challenging! Climbing rocks for 2.4 miles up and looking down the whole time to keep my footing. But the view at the end made everything so worth it. Spectacular! I thought going down would be faster, but that seemed to take forever too. All in all took us about 4hrs total (including 30min resting at peak). My whole body was definitely sore the next day.

We hiked this in mid-May, for the most part we did well with the steep inclines but at the very top ice became an issue and we had fun sliding on our butts the way down for a little ways. Not all of the sliding was intentional. All Trails has this rated as hard and it is, several people brought their dogs which made for some entertainment. This Mike is not to be missed if you’re in Vermont.

One of the best hikes ever and I’ve done a lot. Gorgeous drove to trailhead from Stowe. As green as green can be. Wonderful trail, rocks,roots but wide and forgiving. Just lovely and smelled good too. Better than any of the 35 Catskills that’s for sure. Would do this again. Nice view despite gloomy day. Of course rain in last .3. I’m cursed. Did as up and back, not loop.

Really fun hike. It’s tough and rewarding! Plenty of snow still- I loved having my poles and spikes for comfort but hikers were making it up and down without. On a clear day, the view can’t be beat.

Hiked up yesterday in 100% snow. Conditions were excellent, sunny and low traffic. Trails were well travelled and easy to follow. I think by next weekend it'll be full on mud season though, and not advisable to use the delicate trails.

excellent! Took us 3 hours and had excellent views.

Nov 16, 2017

We really enjoyed this hike, the transition from maple forest to evergreen to finally stunted bonsai pines near the summit was exsquiste, the last 3rd was a steep climb. The lower third was a little messy, with creeks flowing through much of the trails despite numerous breakwaters in the trail, the 2nd 3rd was predominatly icy, where these flow had frozen, but with proper traction strap ons this was not an issue, the top 3rd was hard pack snow, with some ice. The summit was crusted ice, with blowing snow, and cloud.

We ascended the Burrows trail intending to descend the forest city trail, we made it to the summit but trail marking for the long trail was poor to non existent on the summit in these conditions. There were no rock cairns to mark the trail that we could see, what blazes there were on the rock (We saw only one) were painted in white, WHITE!!!! Lol.

There were a few white string markers that seemed to lead off a cliff. So in the end we were not able to either discern or proceed along the long trail, and retraced our steps down t (he Burrows trail.

We encountered only one other hiker that day, on the same trail, no other tracks at the summit from other trails at about 1pm. The one fellow we met said that he despite several trips to the summit has yet to figure out what happens to the long trail either... he also retraced his steps.

Our ascent took 2 hours, and the descent 1.5 hours at a relaxed pace. Will try again under different conditions, and maybe build a cairn or tow on the summit if we can crack the code

Had a blast! Highly recommend.

Hey httpyy

Hhgtg

First time doing Camels Hump on this trail. Did it with an amazing best friend and hiking buddy! It was beautiful, the leaves were exactly the correct level of crunchy and the views were amazing when there were breaks in the clouds. Highly recommend and actually may prefer this trail to the others I have done in the past (see other reviews) on this same mountain. Thanks All Trails Community.
-Mike

The last mile on the way up is extremely steep! Made it up to summit in about 50 minutes. Amazing, amazing views! Saw a black bear on the summit, about 30 feet away from me. It ran away, but I think it was coming for a huge pile of peanuts someone had littered on the top... beautiful hike!

This would have been an awesome hike without the dog. We made it just a ways up the long trail section before we had to turn around and come back because we were tired of lifting the dog over rocks. Got to be some really great scrambling and beautiful views, but not good with a dog! I should have brought a goat instead...

Incredible sunrise hike! Worth the early morning for the rewarding views of VT

Beautiful views from the summit. Took us around 5 hours, but one of those hours was spent enjoying the summit :)

Beautiful trail. I believe moderately difficult is an accurate description but the views are 100% worth the challenge. We did the burrow trail up and back and it took us three hours. The parking area fills up fast so arrive early.

Fantastic Trail!
Heading up via Forest City to Long Trail reduces the traffic but it's a lot more strenuous. Great scrambling on the last mile.

Awesome views! I did Burrows Trail out and back. Descent was challenging. The earlier you get on the trail, the better. Overall a lot of fun

We went up Burrows and down Long and Forest City Trails, and the ascent took us about 1.5 hours, while the descent took about twice that, for a total of 4.5 hours. The ascent was steadily uphill but relatively moderate until the peak, while the descent was quite steep on the Long Trail portion. But the views are incredible and the forest is beautiful! One of our favorite hikes.

Nice, well maintained, excellent climb.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Nice hike to a spectacular vista! Very steep descent- I would highly suggest poles. We made it up Burrows in 1 hour and 25 minutes and down in an hour and a half. Steep, but nothing dangerous- highly recommend!!!

Saturday, August 12, 2017

made it a loop and did Burrows to Long Trail South to Forest City Trail. The summit was beautiful and alpine laurel was in bloom everywhere! The descent was steep and challenging but fun and mellowed out on the Forest City Trail. Great day hike loop with a little challenge and great scenery and views!