Learn more

Camel's Hump Loop via Burrows Trail is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Huntington, Vermont that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 5.5 mi Elevation gain 2,391 ft Route type Loop
Dogs on leash Backpacking Camping Hiking Nature trips Snowshoeing Running Forest River Views Waterfall Wild flowers Wildlife Muddy Rocky Scramble Snow
Description
Waypoints (3)
Tips

This 4,083 foot peak has a very unique summit cone that gives it its name. You'll be following the Burrows Trail through Camel's Hump State Park for just over 5 miles round trip. Right before you reach the summit you'll come to the junction of the Long Trail which you will follow up the steep cone to the summit. From there you can continue down Long Trail to Forest City Trail, or return the way you came. Recommend hiking the loop via Long Trail/Forest City in a counter-clockwise direction. Start at the Burrows trail head, follow the Forest City Connector and Forest City to Long Trail, left on Long Trail up to the summit from the south. Heading in the opposite direction, down the Long Trail from the summit, is treacherous in places.

Burrows TraiIhead: From the town of Huntington Center in Vermont follow signs towards Camel's Hump State Park. The signs will direct you to a road at the east end of the town called Camel's Hump Road. Follow this road for about 3.5 miles following the sings indicating trails ahead. At the end of the road you will find yourself in the Burrows Trailhead. There is no fee to park here.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (294)
Photos (917)
Recordings (175)
Completed (946)
kent a.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 24, 2020
View kent's Recording
Silas Bolduc
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 23, 2020
View Silas's Recording
Michael Jaskolka
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 23, 2020
Hiking

We started around 11am and went counter clockwise - up burrows, then down forest city, which turned out to be best for views. It was very cloudy and windy at the summit and we had very limited visibility. The clouds seemed to stay at a higher elevation as we had views once we dropped down a little bit.

View Michael's Recording
Lisa Shippee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 20, 2020

The summit is worth the effort. I'm writing this review as a caution to any inexperienced hikers like myself (I'm a lazy, very fat woman who got dragged along with friends). We went counter clockwise (the forest city trail to the long trail and down burrows) and it was very difficult and very scary on the rock scrambles for me. If you are not in great shape just do the out and back Burrows trail. coming down it looked like it would be hard to go up but nothing like the other way. Experienced hikers or people in great shape (like my friends) will find the trail to be a fun challenge. We got there early around 6a, it was busy at the top around 11a when we got there (yes I was that slow) and the parking lot was overflowing when we left around 1p. Again, the views from the summit are amazing!

Rachel Luks Petraska
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 20, 2020

Picture Perfect day

Rich Downing
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 18, 2020
Hiking

The Forrest City section was a challenging elevation gain as it approached the LT. The LT section along the ridge line was spectacular with breathtaking views and interesting rises and drops. The approach to the bare rock face of Camel’s Hump was jaw-dropping. My new favorite hike!

View Rich's Recording
David Richard
View David's Recording
Carter Long
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 17, 2020
View Carter's Recording
Michael Edreich
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 16, 2020
Hiking

Go counterclockwise. I will say this assent kicked my ass. Granted my legs weren’t fresh from hiking Mainsfield in the morning but I still think it was tough. You spend lots of time in the tree line but when you come out the views are incredible.

View Michael's Recording
Sanel Talic
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 12, 2020
HikingGreat!

Weather was great and the place was packed. It was a difficult hike as we took the loop. Some areas were unmarked but still easy to follow. Parking was a problem and we couldn’t find place at the Huntington parking lot by 9AM. Took us about 4.5 hrs doing the loop counterclockwise.

Ryan Robidoux
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 12, 2020
HikingScramble

I have hiked the Burrows Trail to the summit, but today was the first time I did the loop. This way turned out to be much harder. I came up counter clockwise and would recommend doing the same. The forest city trail was a casual moderate, but when I got on the LT headed north it got steep quick. There was a section towards the beginning of the LT and a section right before the summit that I would classify as difficult. Nothing too crazy but there were certainly some pretty steep scrambles. I personally found them to be pretty fun. I could see how other people might find them scary though. I arrived at the summit around 9 am and there was about 10 people up there. The view was awe inspiring as usual. My assent took me down the Burrows trail which I would rate as moderate and was absolutely full of people. I seriously must have passed 60 people on their way up.

Kaitlin Ashley
Hiking

Great hike. Best views we’ve experienced in this part of VT (way better than Mt. Ellen, IMO). Pretty difficult. Definitely go counter clockwise like everyone says - the views are incredible going up and there are some scrambles that were fun to go up that I’d be unhappy going down. Our phone said this was closer to 6.6 miles. Took us about 4.5 hours total. Definitely come early - we got the last parking spot in the lot at 9am on a Saturday and parking looked like a nightmare when we wrapped around 1:30pm

Chris Tackie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 12, 2020
Hiking

Good

View Chris's Recording
Owen Hartman
Hiking

Great trail conditions and even better weather. Some portions of trail are unmarked, but it doesn’t matter because the trail is so well established that you’d be hard-pressed to get lost.

View Owen's Recording
Tim M.
Hiking

Very busy - crowded on way down. Steep at end of Forrest tr - went counterclockwise

View Tim's Recording
Irene Brown
Hiking

I did the round trip counterclockwise. The Burrows trail was not very well marked (no blazes for a long stretch that I could see). but easy to follow, as it is so busy. Get there early if you want some peace and quiet.

View Irene's Recording
Roland Barbeito
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 11, 2020
View Roland's Recording
Holly Paterson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 7, 2020
HikingGreat!MuddyRocky

Amazing hike! Definitely hike it counterclockwise because there are less people going up and the views going up are amazing. The top was crowded, but we were able to find a nice rock away from people.

Morgan Decker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2020

Loved! Super fun and decently challenging trail - highly recommend

Andrew Levin
HikingGreat!

Love this trail! Nice and direct and pretty easy. The top was super crowded. But still Found a nice spot to enjoy a summit sammy.

Wyatt Knowlton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020
View Wyatt's Recording
matt sepe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 5, 2020
View matt's Recording
Brenda Blacklock
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 4, 2020
HikingGreat!RockyScramble

We started our trek at 3:30 am to catch the sunrise. It was foggy and windy at the top but then the clouds moved along and provided a spectacular view! We took Forest City, Long Trail to Summit and came down Burrows. There were plenty of spots that were challenging but so do able. I don’t think this hike, view or terrain could disappoint anyone!

Jon Truster
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 3, 2020
Hiking

Great hike. Did it counterclockwise as recommended.

View Jon's Recording
David Richard
View David's Recording
Free Lunch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 1, 2020
View Free's Recording