Camel's Hump Loop via Burrows Trail

Camel's Hump Loop via Burrows Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Huntington, Vermont that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This 4,083 foot peak has a very unique summit cone that gives it its name. You'll be following the Burrows Trail through Camel's Hump State Park for just over 5 miles round trip. Right before you reach the summit you'll come to the junction of the Long Trail which you will follow up the steep cone to the summit. From there you can continue down Long Trail to Forest City Trail, or return the way you came.

12/13/18 - Honestly not a difficult hike at all. The hardest part was the fact that I didn’t have spikes on while going through the packed snow. Any person who is at least somewhat active can complete this hike with ease (as long as they don’t forget their traction like me! Ha!) I’m a pretty fast hiker but even without spikes I did the whole loop to Camel’s hump and back in 2 and a half hours with about 25-30 minutes at the top when I met another person and chatted with him a bit while we shared the view. Very windy though only lasted about 5 minutes at the summit and spent the other 20 minutes just below where we were protected from the wind. I would rate this trail as easy to moderate depending on your baseline fitness level. I’m pretty active so for me it was easy but for those who aren’t very active it’s probably moderate with some slightly challenging spots at the top. It’s a steady incline the whole way up and gets slightly steeper the last mile or so. Views were worth it for sure.

Absolutely beautiful views. The trail did get challenging about halfway up as we reached the pine forest area. It was rather slippery with ice and snow in the 34 degree weather, and the wind was very strong on the summit. Would do it again in a heartbeat though, wish it wasn’t so cold and could have enjoyed the view a little longer.

Arrived at 9:30 went up counterclockwise like the sign recommends. Very good views. Was wet so rick was slippery. Summit had some snow and ice. Met the masses at the top. Dogs, kids, and lots of people. Went down burgess trail. Muddy with scores of people coming up. Very pretty but try to do mid week or get there early. We were amazed at how many people were parked along road. Total time -3 hours 15 minutes.

Been doing this trail my whole life, is a must-hike for anyone within reasonable distance. Best views in the state. Challenging enough but did it with my 18lb terrier this year not to mention a whole elementary was going up as I was going down. So don’t be intimidated by the “hard” rating

Decided to catch a sunrise this AM up on camels hump. Took burrows trail up and this was definitely a heart pumper, consistent climbing until the clearing before heading up on the long trail to the summit. Took a bout 1:20 up in the dark! I had to stop short from climbing all the way up to summit because of 40-50mph wind, but the sunrise was absolutely gorgeous with great 360 view.

Great run/power hike. Challenging in spots. I did read about people being scare of heights should not. On the Monroe trail that shouldn’t be the case. I didn’t experience the other trails.

The best trail I have hiked in vermont! The trail on the way up is majestic - just incredible. There are a few steep and rocky areas, but the view at the top is incredible. There is room on the top to enjoy lunch and view the incredible scenery. I highly suggest this trail for the adventurous! It is somewhat difficult and steep in areas, so good shoes are a must.

Fun until I saw a bear! I ran

I love this trail

Considering I’m 63, have two hip replacements, a knee replacement, and most of my back is fused, I’m darn impressed with myself for doing this one. So worth the sweat for views, on the way up and down, and at the summit. Very safe and well maintained trail.

Great

Loved this trail. Went up Forest City/LT and down Burrows. The last mile up to the top felt death defying! A scramble on the edge of a cliff. Outside our comfort zone and that made it scary - and awesome!

One of my favorite hikes in this area. A beautiful trail with a beautiful view. Bring a jacket for the summit.

one of my four hikes in Vt that I go back to. really enjoy this hike.

This hike is challenging but worth the reward! The summit has an incredible 360 degree view and is gorgeous in any season.

This was quite challenging! Climbing rocks for 2.4 miles up and looking down the whole time to keep my footing. But the view at the end made everything so worth it. Spectacular! I thought going down would be faster, but that seemed to take forever too. All in all took us about 4hrs total (including 30min resting at peak). My whole body was definitely sore the next day.

We hiked this in mid-May, for the most part we did well with the steep inclines but at the very top ice became an issue and we had fun sliding on our butts the way down for a little ways. Not all of the sliding was intentional. All Trails has this rated as hard and it is, several people brought their dogs which made for some entertainment. This Mike is not to be missed if you’re in Vermont.

One of the best hikes ever and I’ve done a lot. Gorgeous drove to trailhead from Stowe. As green as green can be. Wonderful trail, rocks,roots but wide and forgiving. Just lovely and smelled good too. Better than any of the 35 Catskills that’s for sure. Would do this again. Nice view despite gloomy day. Of course rain in last .3. I’m cursed. Did as up and back, not loop.

Really fun hike. It’s tough and rewarding! Plenty of snow still- I loved having my poles and spikes for comfort but hikers were making it up and down without. On a clear day, the view can’t be beat.

Hiked up yesterday in 100% snow. Conditions were excellent, sunny and low traffic. Trails were well travelled and easy to follow. I think by next weekend it'll be full on mud season though, and not advisable to use the delicate trails.

excellent! Took us 3 hours and had excellent views.

Friday, November 17, 2017

Nov 16, 2017

We really enjoyed this hike, the transition from maple forest to evergreen to finally stunted bonsai pines near the summit was exsquiste, the last 3rd was a steep climb. The lower third was a little messy, with creeks flowing through much of the trails despite numerous breakwaters in the trail, the 2nd 3rd was predominatly icy, where these flow had frozen, but with proper traction strap ons this was not an issue, the top 3rd was hard pack snow, with some ice. The summit was crusted ice, with blowing snow, and cloud.

We ascended the Burrows trail intending to descend the forest city trail, we made it to the summit but trail marking for the long trail was poor to non existent on the summit in these conditions. There were no rock cairns to mark the trail that we could see, what blazes there were on the rock (We saw only one) were painted in white, WHITE!!!! Lol.

There were a few white string markers that seemed to lead off a cliff. So in the end we were not able to either discern or proceed along the long trail, and retraced our steps down t (he Burrows trail.

We encountered only one other hiker that day, on the same trail, no other tracks at the summit from other trails at about 1pm. The one fellow we met said that he despite several trips to the summit has yet to figure out what happens to the long trail either... he also retraced his steps.

Our ascent took 2 hours, and the descent 1.5 hours at a relaxed pace. Will try again under different conditions, and maybe build a cairn or tow on the summit if we can crack the code

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Had a blast! Highly recommend.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Hey httpyy

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Hhgtg

Sunday, October 15, 2017

First time doing Camels Hump on this trail. Did it with an amazing best friend and hiking buddy! It was beautiful, the leaves were exactly the correct level of crunchy and the views were amazing when there were breaks in the clouds. Highly recommend and actually may prefer this trail to the others I have done in the past (see other reviews) on this same mountain. Thanks All Trails Community.
-Mike

Tuesday, October 03, 2017

The last mile on the way up is extremely steep! Made it up to summit in about 50 minutes. Amazing, amazing views! Saw a black bear on the summit, about 30 feet away from me. It ran away, but I think it was coming for a huge pile of peanuts someone had littered on the top... beautiful hike!

Friday, September 29, 2017

This would have been an awesome hike without the dog. We made it just a ways up the long trail section before we had to turn around and come back because we were tired of lifting the dog over rocks. Got to be some really great scrambling and beautiful views, but not good with a dog! I should have brought a goat instead...

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Incredible sunrise hike! Worth the early morning for the rewarding views of VT