Camel's Hump Trail

Camel's Hump Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Huntington, Vermont that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

Camel's Hump is one of the best hiking trails in the Green Mountains. It is the third highest peak in the state. The summit offers unbeatable views in every direction. The trail can be accessed off of Camels Hump Road, where there is a small parking area. This trail can either been done as an out-and-back hike, which is 6 miles round trip via the Monroe Trail, or a loop hike via Monroe Trail, Dean Trail, and Long Trail. Camel's Hump can also be reached from the Burrows Trailhead via the Forest City Trail to Burrows Trail. This route describes the out-and-back option. You will start the hike on the Monroe trail. The Monroe trail is steep, however has plenty of leveling off during the hike. From the Monroe Trail you will reach the Dean Trail intersection, at which point you have the option to turn left onto Dean Trail and then take the Long Trail up to the summit or continue straight on the Monroe Trail to the summit. If you continue straight on Monroe Trail, you will reach the hut clearing at which point the Monroe Trail ends and becomes the Long Trail. It is then a short climb to the summit. The last part of the hike can become very steep and narrow. If you are afraid of heights this may not be for you. Once you reach the summit you have a 360 degree view of nearly every mountain range in the area. You will see Mount Mansfield to the north and Mount Washington to the east. On a clear day you can even see Canada. From the summit, take the Long Trail south back to the Monroe Trail.

Starting to get icy near the summit so be mindful. Took about 3 1/2 hours to complete at a fast pace. Very beautiful views at the summit.

Was not the most strenuous hike, but nearly had us out of breath in some spots. The dean trail was fun, even in the rain. It was like beginner rock climbing. Ninja (my dog) had no trouble jumping over some obstacles. I would not take anyone afraid of heights or a dog that lacks physical ability on the dean trail up to Camels Hump. The dean trail had interesting rock obstacles and overlooks after 3ish miles. The Monroe trail is sort of boring, but a much easier climb up to the peak.

Beautiful views up at the top. I found the segment between mile 2 and mile 3 of the Monroe trail most difficult, but maybe that's just because I started off too aggressive. Took about 1hr 40 min for me to get up, and judging based on the number of groups that passed me vs the number of groups I passed, I'd say I was about average speed.

For any other non-locals, the Ben & Jerry's factory is only a ~10 min drive away. I unwittingly drove right past it, made for a nice post-hike stop.

Monroe trail is a fantastic hike. My dogs love it. The trail is challenging and the trek down always feels longer than I expect it to. I plan for at least 5 hours. It takes me about 2 hours each way with no stops and I like to stay on the peak for about an hour.

Very great hike with some great views of Mount Mansfield and Lake Champlain! Trail is also very dog friendly.

Pretty steep all the way up. The last mile or so splits. We took the more direct but steeper path. I felt like a legend scaling the rock walls above the tree line. Like another reviewer said, you'll earn the beautiful views!

I took Monroe (blue blazes) to the summit trail (white blazes). It was raining and 50 at the bottom and quite cold when you got higher. Trails were well marked and the terrain was mostly moderate. I wouldn't call this a difficult hike, with the exception of a could small sections of the last .3 miles, which required minor scrambling. Plan for 2 hours to the top or under an hour if you run it.

Really great trail especially if you're after an energetic hike. We got to the top in an hour twenty and then enjoyed the view with lunch. Just under an hour to get down and later in the day we are both feeling it!

Lots of dogs doing the trail and a few sub 10yr old kids.

Really nice hike, took us 2 hours to go up, 1:30 to go down and 30 min lunch break. Nice view at the top and nice trail

Did the bigger loop through dean and long trail. Loved it, took us 5 hours including the lunch break, quite a bit of people at the top but nice view !

Great hike! It's 3.4 from the duxbury parking lot to top so it's 6.8 round trip. Trail is well marked and pretty busy during the summer and fall, not steep at all till the last .3 to the top. Plan on at least 4 hours.

Went up the Monroe trail on the 20th. Fairly steep difficult trail. Some decent scrambles. Beautiful view from the top and definitely worth it on a clear day.

Long hike, moderate rocks. Beautiful view.

such a gorgeous hike with beautiful views!

Glorious views. Monroe trail was not difficult at all. Not too buggy at the summit. Took 2 hours and 10 minutes up.

Nice waterfalls throughout. Clean fresh mountain air. Very lush forest. Loved it.

iug yu 9d 9ish o9o9-9o9-9