Burnt Rock Mountain Trail

Burnt Rock Mountain Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Moretown, Vermont that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Really nice day hike. The bottom half is fairly gradual through some beautiful forests, then the second half gets more rocky, steep and technical. Nothing seriously dangerous, but it makes for great views and some fun scrambling. I took the dog, and she made it up just fine without much help, but older dogs may have trouble.

One of my favorite hikes in VT! The first half is easy. The second half not so easy! Amazing views at the top!

Great trail with beautiful views at the top of Burnt Rock Mountain. A few technical areas towards top, but our 2 Golden Doodle pups were able to get up and down with us easily.

My 15 yr old son and I walked this approximately 10mi hike in 5.5 hrs with time to enjoy the views and rest stops along the way. It was a great hike, just challenging enough for us both. It had rained and the trail was muddy and slippery. There are a few streams to cross and a lot of scrambling on steep rocks near the top. The elevation gains were doable, slow and steady increase to the top. We lost the trail a few times in the second half too but our phone GPS worked up there and helped us out. There were very few people on the trail, and we accidentally disturbed a great horned owl. I highly recommend this hike.

did in march and didn't finish it because of some of group and running out of day light but was beautiful

Did this trail with my family. I wasn’t sure they would be up for the full hike but they did it all with little to no crying and complaining and we had an amazing day! This is a challenging hike, especially towards the top, but my kids (4 and 7) loved scrambling up the rocks. Lovely trail and fabulous views from the top. We’ll definitely do it again.

Beautiful hike through the woods (with some rocky scrambles) to an amazing view! Great workout.

This was a fun and sometimes difficult hike. The top 1/3 has many rock scrambles and is fairly steep. I will definitely go again!

Going on this hike felt like being a part of a hidden treasure. The path itself is not too traveled, on a Saturday in may we passed maybe 10 people and felt very backcountry. One of my favorite parts was that there was tons of little streams on the way up which ended up being great for my dog to wash off mud. The way up wasn’t too hard but just difficult enough to have you reaping the rewards of this workout. At the top it was extremely windy and shortly we got cold (it was a 70 degree day) so we didn’t end up staying too long. On the way down, towards the very end we started to get tired of the hike but I attribute that to the fact that this was only our second hike of the season. I loved this hike and would definitely go back, definitely a good choice!

Such a fun trail. Gets very steep in places but really nice way to spend today. Our Australian Shepherd loved it as well. We crossed many streams and brooks, some bigger than others. Waterproof shoes are pretty necessary as it is also fairly muddy right now. We didn’t go to the tippy top because the dog has having a hard time on the rock face but we made it really close where we got more than a 180 degree view. The view was pretty spectacular but it was chilly and extremely windy so we didn’t stay too long up there. Felt longer for us on the way down because of the steepness near the top. Took us a little over 4 hours.

Once you reach the top, its totally worth all the hard work. Took me just under 2 hours up. A lot more rock scrambling than I expected, and the whole hike up felt pretty long but it was a great workout. The beginning of the trail is pretty steady uphill with many stream crossings. The first stream at the trail head was running pretty rapidly, and was a bit intimidating to cross. My poles helped as security but my feet still ended up getting soaked.. all in all, worth it!!

Sunday, October 29, 2017

Wow, super views at the top and really fun terrain. We went the day after it had rained a lot, so little streams we had to cross we’re pretty full! Good water proof boots a must. Definitely gets challenging near the top - climbing up rocks; very fun. Enjoy!

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Fun hike with amazing views at the top. I feel like this place is a hidden gem- doesn’t get nearly as crowded by tourists and large groups like other mountains in the area. First half of the trail is easy, pretty flat and winds around some brooks. Second half is where it gets more challenging, the first 1/4 or second half is moderate and the last 1/4 there are steep areas with a lot of rock scrambling. The views at the summit are totally worth the hike. Took us about 2 hours round trip ( not counting the time we spent relaxing and taking pictures at the summit)

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Really fun hike with breathtaking views. Not insane, but it'll get you sweating. Starts out easy, then medium, then an adventurous climb to the top. Was 2 hours up and 1.5 hours down for us.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Great views, light traffic. Not an easy hike, especially at the end, but a lot of fun and a big summit with plenty of places to sit and enjoy the views.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Steep and difficult at the end but the views are worth it. Slippery sections, be sure to wear shoes with good grip.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Great Hike! Took about 1:45mins up and 1 solid hour down. First 1/2 of trail is easy, next 1/4 is moderate and the last 1/4 is hard. Definitely worth the views!

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

some rock scrambling at the top. lots of fun. great day-off-from-climbing hike

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Great hike going UP, but coming back down was pure misery. We got caught in a storm at the very top, and the trail turned to mush and mud. Fell over a dozen times

Friday, June 16, 2017

Its a good trail, some steep tricky spots but the view is spectacular. The only real downside was the onslaught of flies that came midway and didn't really dissipate (unless there was a strong wind) until you hit the midway point back down again

Thursday, June 01, 2017

Great trail, and good for dogs. The top was a little slick because of the recent rain but beautiful hike!

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

fun trail. very steep sections in the last Mile. should take around 2-3hrs

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Beautiful trail that's well kept. There were some slippery spots and streams to cross so wear good shoes. If you're going to the summit of burnt mountain it's longer than 4.5 Miles. But a beautiful view. Was warm that the top on the day we went.

Friday, September 30, 2016

great hike through forrest with partial climbing over rocks towards the end. great view from top. bear in mind that it can be quite windy up there

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Be sure to bring hands-free water.... Sections of the trail require both hands for safety. Also, consider packing lunch to eat at the top. Fun!

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

I loved this hike because of the beauty, the number of brook crossings that allow you to stop and splash your face or put your toes in. I know that there are some negative comments about the water crossings, but our recent hike we did not have any issues crossing any of them. The top is fun with some steep areas and a few ladders. The view at the top is amazing. There is plenty of space at the top if you end up meeting up with other people. I am 58 and while i do exercise i wouldn't say i am in great hiking shape. It was a challenge, but i didn't have any issues with completing it.

Monday, July 11, 2016

wet and muddy which I like. trail does become more difficult towards the top, but only because the rocks and roots were so slippery. absolutely worth it!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Beautiful day, beautiful trail! Love this hike. Definitely a favorite.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Hiked on June 4th, 2016. We started out around 8:45a.m. and there was not a soul in the parking lot. I am commenting for two reasons. 1. This was one of the most surprisingly fun and "decent" short hikes I've done. Nice canopy, old forest and mostly hardwoods. A couple of water crossings (not hard) and plenty of great scenery once near the top.
2. I have seen some posts talking about the hike being "easy". I would concur for a full fledged hiker with plenty of mountains under the belt that this would be an easy hike. At a total of 4.6 miles and 1900+ of elevation change- much of which is on the end.. I would label this more of a moderate hike for many "weekend warrior" hikers. Only because of its short out and back duration could it be considered easy. This was a great hike overall and it was a blast with the weather and nice canopy

Monday, May 09, 2016

Trailhead has been re-routed at the request of nearby landowners. It involves crossing a creek at the trail head. The water was too high so we didn't go on our hike. Pretty bummed. Will try again when it dries up a bit.