Burnt Rock Mountain Trail

Burnt Rock Mountain Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Moretown, Vermont that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Going on this hike felt like being a part of a hidden treasure. The path itself is not too traveled, on a Saturday in may we passed maybe 10 people and felt very backcountry. One of my favorite parts was that there was tons of little streams on the way up which ended up being great for my dog to wash off mud. The way up wasn’t too hard but just difficult enough to have you reaping the rewards of this workout. At the top it was extremely windy and shortly we got cold (it was a 70 degree day) so we didn’t end up staying too long. On the way down, towards the very end we started to get tired of the hike but I attribute that to the fact that this was only our second hike of the season. I loved this hike and would definitely go back, definitely a good choice!

Such a fun trail. Gets very steep in places but really nice way to spend today. Our Australian Shepherd loved it as well. We crossed many streams and brooks, some bigger than others. Waterproof shoes are pretty necessary as it is also fairly muddy right now. We didn’t go to the tippy top because the dog has having a hard time on the rock face but we made it really close where we got more than a 180 degree view. The view was pretty spectacular but it was chilly and extremely windy so we didn’t stay too long up there. Felt longer for us on the way down because of the steepness near the top. Took us a little over 4 hours.

Once you reach the top, its totally worth all the hard work. Took me just under 2 hours up. A lot more rock scrambling than I expected, and the whole hike up felt pretty long but it was a great workout. The beginning of the trail is pretty steady uphill with many stream crossings. The first stream at the trail head was running pretty rapidly, and was a bit intimidating to cross. My poles helped as security but my feet still ended up getting soaked.. all in all, worth it!!

Wow, super views at the top and really fun terrain. We went the day after it had rained a lot, so little streams we had to cross we’re pretty full! Good water proof boots a must. Definitely gets challenging near the top - climbing up rocks; very fun. Enjoy!

Fun hike with amazing views at the top. I feel like this place is a hidden gem- doesn’t get nearly as crowded by tourists and large groups like other mountains in the area. First half of the trail is easy, pretty flat and winds around some brooks. Second half is where it gets more challenging, the first 1/4 or second half is moderate and the last 1/4 there are steep areas with a lot of rock scrambling. The views at the summit are totally worth the hike. Took us about 2 hours round trip ( not counting the time we spent relaxing and taking pictures at the summit)

Really fun hike with breathtaking views. Not insane, but it'll get you sweating. Starts out easy, then medium, then an adventurous climb to the top. Was 2 hours up and 1.5 hours down for my us.

Great views, light traffic. Not an easy hike, especially at the end, but a lot of fun and a big summit with plenty of places to sit and enjoy the views.

Steep and difficult at the end but the views are worth it. Slippery sections, be sure to wear shoes with good grip.

Great Hike! Took about 1:45mins up and 1 solid hour down. First 1/2 of trail is easy, next 1/4 is moderate and the last 1/4 is hard. Definitely worth the views!

some rock scrambling at the top. lots of fun. great day-off-from-climbing hike

Great hike going UP, but coming back down was pure misery. We got caught in a storm at the very top, and the trail turned to mush and mud. Fell over a dozen times

Friday, June 16, 2017

Its a good trail, some steep tricky spots but the view is spectacular. The only real downside was the onslaught of flies that came midway and didn't really dissipate (unless there was a strong wind) until you hit the midway point back down again

Thursday, June 01, 2017

Great trail, and good for dogs. The top was a little slick because of the recent rain but beautiful hike!

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

fun trail. very steep sections in the last Mile. should take around 2-3hrs

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Beautiful trail that's well kept. There were some slippery spots and streams to cross so wear good shoes. If you're going to the summit of burnt mountain it's longer than 4.5 Miles. But a beautiful view. Was warm that the top on the day we went.

Friday, September 30, 2016

great hike through forrest with partial climbing over rocks towards the end. great view from top. bear in mind that it can be quite windy up there

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Be sure to bring hands-free water.... Sections of the trail require both hands for safety. Also, consider packing lunch to eat at the top. Fun!

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

I loved this hike because of the beauty, the number of brook crossings that allow you to stop and splash your face or put your toes in. I know that there are some negative comments about the water crossings, but our recent hike we did not have any issues crossing any of them. The top is fun with some steep areas and a few ladders. The view at the top is amazing. There is plenty of space at the top if you end up meeting up with other people. I am 58 and while i do exercise i wouldn't say i am in great hiking shape. It was a challenge, but i didn't have any issues with completing it.

Monday, July 11, 2016

wet and muddy which I like. trail does become more difficult towards the top, but only because the rocks and roots were so slippery. absolutely worth it!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Beautiful day, beautiful trail! Love this hike. Definitely a favorite.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Hiked on June 4th, 2016. We started out around 8:45a.m. and there was not a soul in the parking lot. I am commenting for two reasons. 1. This was one of the most surprisingly fun and "decent" short hikes I've done. Nice canopy, old forest and mostly hardwoods. A couple of water crossings (not hard) and plenty of great scenery once near the top.
2. I have seen some posts talking about the hike being "easy". I would concur for a full fledged hiker with plenty of mountains under the belt that this would be an easy hike. At a total of 4.6 miles and 1900+ of elevation change- much of which is on the end.. I would label this more of a moderate hike for many "weekend warrior" hikers. Only because of its short out and back duration could it be considered easy. This was a great hike overall and it was a blast with the weather and nice canopy

Monday, May 09, 2016

Trailhead has been re-routed at the request of nearby landowners. It involves crossing a creek at the trail head. The water was too high so we didn't go on our hike. Pretty bummed. Will try again when it dries up a bit.

Sunday, December 20, 2015

I really enjoyed this hike! Several chances to cross the brook and enjoy many types of terrain. Starts out steady & not too steep until it meets up with the Long Trail. Beautiful rock outcrop summit with a nice South, South East view!

Saturday, August 08, 2015

I'll start by saying, I am not in great shape at the moment- so this was "moderate" in my mind. I wouldn't call it easy. The hike itself is interesting with lots of rock and root climbing and some really steep inclines on the second half. I would not recommend this if it rained the night before, makes for some slippery spots! But the view is worth the trip! Id say the 3-4 hour completion rate is right, especially when you take time to stop and enjoy the views. Heads up, it gets pretty busy in the summer.

Sunday, July 05, 2015

Trail starts with a stream and so prepare to cross it right away. Trail is probably moderate to difficult but we aren't in best shape either. The last .6 mile is really steep. It had rained last night and so we all came back with really dirty shoes. All in all it was the adventurous outlet we were looking for.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The top of this hike is tough if you take the long trail/ app trail to the summit. Up is much harder than down

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Great trail!! I also tracked it to be 5.3 miles! I live in Maine and was visiting in Vermont for the weekend and am very happy my sister and I ended up hiking Burnt Rock Mountain! Don't forget to sign the guest book :-)

Monday, June 09, 2014

Great trail! We took a dog, two nine year-olds, and an 11 year-old with us. They all did great. The bottom of the trail is very forrest-y and dry. Several rivers and streams offer pools to soak hot feet in. The steep spots near the summit are filled with roots, rocks, and ladders for hand-holds that made it easy and interesting for the kids. During the steepest spots is when I heard the least amount of complaining.

The description says its 4 miles total, but its actually 5.2 to the summit and back. The first part of the trail is 2 miles, then its 0.6 to the summit along the long trail. With kids and frequent stops, it took us 4 hours... but they did soak their feet in a pool for about 15 minutes.

Monday, May 12, 2014

Amazing Trail! Great variety of terrain and forest type. Great display of flowers in the spring. A good challenge and a couple of steep spots. Beautiful rivers and creeks. Not be missed!

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Easily (by far) my favorite hike in Vermont. You get a incredible variety of forest types, altitudes, and scenery in a 3 hour hike; more than I've found anywhere else so far. Most guide books say that this is a 4-5 hour hike, but with my excessive stopping to photograph mushrooms and trees, plus lunch at the top, and an extra hour searching fruitlessly for one of the largest glacial potholes in New England, it took us under 3.5 hours. The entire trail was dry save for the alpine forest, which is pretty much permanently wet, which made for an incredible hike. We only saw 3 people on the way up, plus about 5 on the top, and 2 on the way down...which is my type of hike! I'm secretly hoping that most people never discover this hike!