Burnt Rock Mountain Trail

Burnt Rock Mountain Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Moretown, Vermont that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

4.5 miles 2027 feet Out & Back

Beautiful trail that's well kept. There were some slippery spots and streams to cross so wear good shoes. If you're going to the summit of burnt mountain it's longer than 4.5 Miles. But a beautiful view. Was warm that the top on the day we went.

great hike through forrest with partial climbing over rocks towards the end. great view from top. bear in mind that it can be quite windy up there

Be sure to bring hands-free water.... Sections of the trail require both hands for safety. Also, consider packing lunch to eat at the top. Fun!

I loved this hike because of the beauty, the number of brook crossings that allow you to stop and splash your face or put your toes in. I know that there are some negative comments about the water crossings, but our recent hike we did not have any issues crossing any of them. The top is fun with some steep areas and a few ladders. The view at the top is amazing. There is plenty of space at the top if you end up meeting up with other people. I am 58 and while i do exercise i wouldn't say i am in great hiking shape. It was a challenge, but i didn't have any issues with completing it.

wet and muddy which I like. trail does become more difficult towards the top, but only because the rocks and roots were so slippery. absolutely worth it!

Beautiful day, beautiful trail! Love this hike. Definitely a favorite.

Hiked on June 4th, 2016. We started out around 8:45a.m. and there was not a soul in the parking lot. I am commenting for two reasons. 1. This was one of the most surprisingly fun and "decent" short hikes I've done. Nice canopy, old forest and mostly hardwoods. A couple of water crossings (not hard) and plenty of great scenery once near the top.
2. I have seen some posts talking about the hike being "easy". I would concur for a full fledged hiker with plenty of mountains under the belt that this would be an easy hike. At a total of 4.6 miles and 1900+ of elevation change- much of which is on the end.. I would label this more of a moderate hike for many "weekend warrior" hikers. Only because of its short out and back duration could it be considered easy. This was a great hike overall and it was a blast with the weather and nice canopy

Trailhead has been re-routed at the request of nearby landowners. It involves crossing a creek at the trail head. The water was too high so we didn't go on our hike. Pretty bummed. Will try again when it dries up a bit.

I really enjoyed this hike! Several chances to cross the brook and enjoy many types of terrain. Starts out steady & not too steep until it meets up with the Long Trail. Beautiful rock outcrop summit with a nice South, South East view!