Burnt Rock Mountain Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(170)
Camels Hump State Park

Burnt Rock Mountain Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Moretown, Vermont that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,132 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Varying from moderate to difficult, this trail offers a shaded route up, mostly on dirt/mud with increasing granite scrambles as you near the top. The main technical challenge is water: it's a wet path, sometimes slippery, with at least four streams to ford. Be ready to remove your shoes to get over the first stream.

Mad rivers flowing bro. Icy once you hit the long trail. Last half mile ain’t for the faint of heart. Happy trails!

These directions took me to Hedgehog Brook Trail, not sure if they are the same trail or not! I am VERY surprised that this trail was labeled “moderate”. I found the steep inclines very challenging! I would highly recommend hiking boots. I had a go with sneakers and was unable to make it to the top due to ice/snow. I felt very unprepared as I got closer to the top! Next time I’ll definitely have hiking boots, more snacks, and more water! Oh and be prepared for lots of river crossings!! My sneakers were soaked by the end of it. My dog and I had fun, though!! He loved it.

Super wet & muddy right now. To protect the trail (and for your own enjoyment) I suggest waiting a few more weeks to hike this. Trail was easy and wasn’t steep at all. Waterfalls & moss covered rocks galore!! Beautiful.

My map lists this trail as Hedgehog Brook Trail. The view from the top of Burnt Rock Mt was beautiful. I hiked with snowshoes in packed snow so the stream crossings weren’t a problem. while the trail wasn’t too technically challenging, it did get steep towards the top. I ended up intentionally sliding down on my bottom in rain pants to descend safely. Also the road in was VERY muddy from the recently increased temperatures. I wouldn’t recommend just driving in in a car, which is what I had, unless you’re feeling lucky.

The trail was great - already broken and easy to follow for the most part. Several stream/brook crossings in the first mile or so that were iced over so not too risky. Once we joined the Long Trail trail markers became a difficult to find and the trail was a little tricky to follow as whoever hiked before us couldn’t find the trail and as a result went a few different directions and turned back. We logged into AllTrails to pin our location and used the beacon to stay on trail. Super windy at the summit but on a less windy day it would’ve been gorgeous. This is a fantastic winter hike!

Probably the last hike this year before snow. Lower trail is a mud pit in real need of work - starting to braid from folks looking for a way around it.

This trail had he perfect ratio of negative expletives to positive expletives. Going up was hard but the views are amazing. Where waterproof hiking boots and bring 2 liters of water. I only brought one and wanted more halfway down. Lots of rock scrambling on the way up.

The first mile and a half are nice and meandering, then it gets a bit rocky. The top is a lot of rocks that can be slippery but is well worth the views. Wasn’t crowded at all and was one of my favorite hikes

This is a beautiful trail! It was a lot of fun I would say that it was challenging especially coming down we had to be very careful because the rocks were wet and slippery. Overall a fun hike and a very good workout!

Wow, surprised this is called moderate! It's relatively short, sure, but some of the steep parts are a quite a challenge. The section along the LT is especially tough at points. Rock scrambles, tight squeezes, lots of places to use your hands to assist you. Not recommend for beginners or people with any fear of heights issues. But for people like us who dig that sort of thing, this is an awesome hike that rewards with incredible views. Just expect it to take longer than you might have expected. In fact, we took about 7 hours to complete. But we did have our large young dog to contend with. This was her most strenuous hike yet by far so we were especially careful with her on the tough parts to make sure she made it through without injury.

Really fun trail with streams to cross and small waterfalls along the way. It’s a quiet trail and you don’t run into too many people. I expected it to be harder after reading other reviews but only the last stretch is extra, and you get views for most of it which make it worth it. Since it’s a less used trail pay close attention to the markers, it’s easy to miss them. Not long after the trail meets up with the long trail keep your eye out for a small cairn / pile of rocks to the left of the path. If you walk off the path there you’ll find a small pool of water next to a rock wall which happens to be one of New England’s oldest and highest glacial potholes. It’s a fun little detour on your way up.

Great, well maintained, trail which felt well off the beaten path. Didn’t make last quarter mile or so, due to daylight concerns, but looked quite challenging.

Trail is rated as moderate, but I’m thinking more Strenuous. Elevation gain is approximately 2,100ft over 2.5 miles. Many parts, especially the last 1/4 are very steep. Stunning views are worth it though. You cross many streams/brooks. If going after a rain, I strongly suggest a good boot with traction as it can get very slippery on the rocks.

Little used trail that is AMAZING - best hike in VT

great trail, but not 4.5 miles round to summit. this distance is to the long trail. if you'd like to summit, you have another .7 or .8 round trip to do. it's also a fairly difficult trail for the top quarter mile leading to long trail. plan for 5.8 miles round trip to summit. bring bug spray. great views at top.

We enjoyed this hike and took our time. Nice shade. Lots of scrambled but totally doable (even for an not totally in shape hiker like me.) Glad we had lots of water!