Bald Top Mountain Trail

Bald Top Mountain Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fairlee, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was a great hike and a beautiful trail. It was 5 miles out and back, not 3.7. The trail is mostly leaf covered so was a bit slippery in spots coming down. The summit has a nice view. We had to jump out of the way of a group of ATVs at one point.

Great walk! We only saw 5 others on the trail so it was peaceful and quiet. Stunning view from the top into what I assume are the White Mountains!

Hiked (showshoed) on Sunday from Bloodbrook Rd. Day was clear skies, bright sun, cold, and windy. Deep soft snow the entire way with a couple areas of wind packed crust. We did not see anyone else the entire hike. Abundant birds were heard in the forest canopy. Spring is trying to get a foothold here.

It is good hike. Interesting and not heavily traveled.

Nice, quiet trail. Hiked it in winter and needed snowshoes. I appreciate how well-marked this trail was, especially when I needed to do some trail blazing.

I hiked this trail in early March, parking at the boat parking area off Lake Morey Road. The trailhead sign says Bald Top Mountain is 3.3 miles. I hiked with spikes, and carried my snowshoes just in case. I mostly had the trail to myself, seeing only 3 other people and one dog. There was some bear scat on the trail (not sure if that’s usual for March after a week of warmish weather) and lots of turkey prints. This is a really nice trail, not too steep, and there is a wonderful 360 degree view at the top. Some trail reports I had read indicated a much shorter trail, but those folks must have parked on Bald Top Road, which must be impassable this time of year. The spikes were perfect for my outing, and I hope I can visit again when there is enough snow cover to snow shoe the trail. I’ll visit again in the warmer weather and maybe try the shorter hike, but parking in the boat launch parking area would be great too.

Used Cross River Trail (CRT) up and down, well marked with blue color; nice view at the top, good exercise. Ice spikes not needed.

I parked on bald top road and went up the cross riv... trail (blue blazes, well marked, moderate, very nice trail. 2.43 Miles to summit. Came down Ackerman trail, much shorter, about 1.5 Miles. Great on cloudy fall day but would be great in any season including winter I think.

Switchback trail, kind of long but worth the view!

This offers a long winding Trail with very few steep grades, so it’s a great beginner/intermediate trail. I hiked this on October 1, 2017 and the trail was covered with leaves which was the biggest challenge on the way down.

Lovely, quiet hike. We didn't see anyone else anywhere along the path. Steady climb up the 1000ft elevation. Summit opens up to grassy meadow with long-range views. Great spot for a picnic. 7yo made the hike with few difficulties.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Nice hike, we took our dog she loved it. Many other ppl also had dogs in the trail. The firsts half is gradual and the second half is a bit harder and steeper. Nice view at the top!

recorded Bald Top Mountain Trail