Bald Mountain

Bald Mountain is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Townshend, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and camping and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trail! Is definitely moderate and very well marked. Our dogs loved it too and it took us about two hrs. We started kind of late and ended up coming out in the dark, but the trail was easy to follow once we couldn’t see markers anymore. Very pretty, windy, and we even found some chagga.

This trail was wonderful! Good part of it alongside stream with endless pools and cascades, easy footing, good workout towards the top and 2 nice views and great place for lunch! Super dog friendly as well!

Trail was easy to follow and well kept; wish there was more of a summit/veiw.. Beautiful hike regardless!

Sunday, November 13, 2016

I was surprised by the low reviews on here as we loved this trail for so many reasons! First off, I would rate the difficulty as moderate. The incline is pretty steady all the way up and only levels off a few times. The terrain is rocky and rooty which is typical northern New England and this time of year (late fall) the leaves on the ground are slippery and hide potential tripping hazards. There is so much beauty here!!! The brook offers lots of little pools and cool rock formations, some that reminded me of a water-slide. There are lots of tree, plant and fungi species and we saw several different birds including a woodpecker. Mossy rocks and boulders are scattered everywhere with tall pines and other interesting trees with exposed root systems flank the trail. At the summit, there are two nice sitting areas to relax and check out the views. There is a summit sign on a tree to the left and before that on the right, a geological survey benchmark embedded into a flat rock. This place is so reminiscent of somewhere I would have loved to play and explore as a kid, and doing it as an adult is just as fun! There were some downed trees along the trail but it was well marked. We'd hike Bald Mountain again!

Friday, August 19, 2016

Good straightforward trail. Very little flat parts. It's a steady incline just about the whole way. Follow a nice brook in the beginning with great pools to lay in.The last 1/4 mile(probably less)to the summit is the real leg burner. Easy for experienced hiker, hard for beginners. Summit offers two views, Mt. Monadnock in NH to the west and Bromley & Stratton Mtn. to the north. Good campground too. Went in Mid Aug. while camping and only passed two couples. Totally alone on top.

Monday, May 11, 2015

I was not able to hike this trail from either end! From the link I posted below the trailhead are a not straightforward and have extremely limited parking. I'd love to come back and check this out but I might need to arrange for someone to drop me off close to the start of the trail.

Friday, December 30, 2011

Its a simple trail that you can use to get a little heart pumping action. Just did it and had lunch on the top, It was about 18 degrees and no wind.

Saturday, June 18, 2016