Bald Mountain Loop Hike

Bald Mountain Loop Hike is a 3 mile loop trail located near Rutland, Vermont and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from September until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Nice loop hike with many vistas, lots of blueberries in August The Bald Mountain Trail is noted for its vistas, blueberries, and wildflowers. Four vistas located at rock promontories along the trail offer panoramic views of the Green Mountain range, Otter Creek and Cold River valleys, as well as Rutland City. The East Loop is 3.3 miles long and the West Loop or Lower Loop is 0.9 miles. The hike has mostly moderate grades with a few steep decents on the West Loop and the end of the East Loop.

I did this today with a friend. The trail was easy to follow and well marked. There was an angry swarm of hornets that stung my poor pups a few times. Watch out on the stone "stairs". The view was ehhhh. There are lots of trees in the way. Beautiful day for a hike none the less

Easy to get to and gorgeous views. The hike itself isn't hard, honestly, but you get some nice varied terrain. The summit view is kind of blocked by trees, but other viewpoints on the mountain more than make up for it. Great way to burn an afternoon.

do this many time a year one of my favort thank-you trail crew with the clea
n up

Awesome view from vistas. There is some trees down from the storm, however there is paths around. There some planned maintenance pink Ribbons along the way. This was my first time on this trail. Steep in spots, great cardio workout. Also wet in places. You will see where main trial turns into right hand side of the loop. If you stay to the left,'you will then see

Monday, September 05, 2016

hiked this in April with my sister, brother -in-law and my 2 kiddos (9, 7). it was the kids' most difficult hike yet but they powered through. views were incredible and we look forward to heading up again!

Monday, July 25, 2016

Well maintained-- nice views

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Beautiful hike with the dog. Not crowded either.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Steep then easy. Needed my poles.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Not as picturesque as I had hoped, but a good hike for the legs, heart & spirit!

Sunday, April 24, 2016

I got a little off track, only made it to 2 of the 4 vistas. going to try again in August and hopefully find some blueberries!

Sunday, November 29, 2015

I don't know how this is classified as hard, compared to what? Mt Moosilauke is hard; this trail is moderate at its most challenging sections. Great for a few hours in the afternoon with the family. I took my seven year old up this morning (11/29) and it was frosty toward the top. The wind was a bit much, so we didn't finish the whole loop. Definitely a trail I will frequent as I live in Rutland, but best done in late spring or early fall.

Sunday, October 05, 2014

Very nice little hike in the fall. (About 2 hours for two relatively in shape 30-something's hiking at a gentle pace with stops for lunch and photos). We went Oct 3rd, and had some nice foliage. It's a well-maintained trail and while there is no real peak (bald mountain is a total misnomer) there are 5 or 6 really nice little lookouts with lovely views. Definitely recommended. Also, the trail head is easy to find with good parking. Note that the trail starts at the kiosk/map.

Sunday, August 17, 2014

I really love hiking this loop.

Monday, September 03, 2012

Pretty easy hiking. When the trail forks, the right path leads directly to he peak, is a fairly easy (and often not pretty) .8 mile. The left fork is MUCH more interesting and scenic, but the arrows at the summit can be confusing when you come up this way. There are two arrows pointing away from the trail I first mentioned. If you hadn't come up that way, it's easy to miss it.
Despite the name "Bald Mountain", this is anything but. There are a few vistas, but they're fairly obscured by foliage. There's nothing special about the summit either.
The best part of this hike was the solitude - I didn't see anyone else there today (9/2/12 - Sunday before Labor Day).
One more thing - when you're on Notch rd, be aware that the pavement ends, and you'll see "Dead End" and "Bridge Out" signs. At the fork, when you have to choose between them, stay right toward the Dead End. You'll see the trailhead on the right.