Abbey Pond Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Middlebury, Vermont that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,207 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from East Middlebury, VT: Travel 5.5 miles north of East Middlebury on SR 116. The trail begins on the east side of the road.

Very nice trail and beautiful pond at the top. If it’s very buggy though!

I’m fairly new to hiking and the first half was challenging as most of the elevation rise is there but the peace and beauty of the stream made it wonderful. While at the pond I saw woodpeckers, mallards, Canada geese and 4 beavers at once, so much tail slapping. While resting on the big rock next to the dam around 6:30 pm a female moose came quietly out of the brush around 40 feet away and stepped into the lake after looking at me a couple times, she then swam across and ate plants on the other side. My finest hiking moment so far. Spring 2020

I did this with my 7 year old. It was steep at first and not much to see at the pond. But definitely a nice afternoon hike.

Great hike. Steep at the beginning but it flattens out and you get the view of the pond and a dam. Beautiful waterfall and river views with big boulders to take breaks, eat a snack or just your feet wet. I few muddy spots to navigate around, but isn't that part of the fun anyways?

Cascades in the beginning of the trail are nice. You can get a little better of a view by climbing off to the right before the bridge. Smooth but gradual trail to the second crossing. Not many ways to cross except a log that's about 20-30 feet. A few muddy spots to avoid. The trail is pretty steep and leggy but levels off a little around the third river crossing. The lake is half frozen, you get a good view of a mountain (?), a beaver dam, and a couple beaver dens. You can bushwhack around but it was a little wet around the area.

icy

It’s a beautiful hike, but once you get past the waterfalls it’s not moderate it’s considered very hard it’s very leggy very rocky and very slippery. It’s more than 2.5 miles to the pond. It’s about 3 miles exactly to the pond . It was 6 miles for this hike . Well worth it but bring good shoes and water !

Going to have to come back, River was high due to snow melt so we did not cross.

Beautiful stream with cascades along a lot of the trail. Some tough stream crossings for beginners. Not much of a workout, but guess it was as advertised. I would rate between easy and moderate.

Great hike with waterfalls early on.

Beautiful trail. Perfect after work hike. The first 1.25 miles is challenging due to the elevation increase but not terrible. The first time I did this hike I was a little confused because the trail crosses over the running water. That happens about .75 into the trail. The second mile of the trail is fairly flat and a nice walk. There isn’t much to explore on the top, but I love sitting on a large rock near the water and taking in the scenery. Very secluded. Definitely a repeat hike of mine.

I love this trail, mostly because I am the only one on the trail almost every time I hike it. The first half can be challenging but then it evens out and is an easy hike. There is not a lot of space at the "summit" (which is a pond), but there are a few rocks to sit and enjoy the serenity of nature.

Nice trail through deep woods. First mile or so is lots of uphill along a stream with small waterfalls.

On the easy side of moderate. The first mile has its share of elevation on a well worn smooth path. The pond was reasonably cool but was nothing compared to the falls at the beginning of the hike. We got on the trail at 8:30 am and had the trail and pond to ourselves for a half an hour. The bugs and mud were at a minimum. I would recommend checking the falls out if nothing else. They were beautiful.

We did this trail with our two dogs and our baby in the backpack. The first part of the hike was definitely no joke. There are two spots where you need to rock hop across, which with help was fine, but would have been very precarious with the baby on my back without the help. There are also quite a few nice spots the dogs could take a break in the stream. Were we to go again, we'd leave our senior pup home, the first half of the trail was definitely tough.

The first mile is definitely legit also the most interesting with multiple water falls along the way Trail was not very muddy but was very buggy Use bug spray

This is a very pretty hike. it was tough in spots and we had to cross a brook. the waterfalls are amazing.

Trail maintenance was completed recently which helped to dry out the trail. It’s easy to stay in the path. Not over crowded especially early mornings.

The waterfalls were beautiful...when I could see them through the fog of bugs.

Beautiful trail with many waterfalls!

Thu May 30 2019

The waterfalls were spectacular. Bring plenty of bug spray since the wet weather has been a boon to the mosquitos. Parts of the trail are muddy so wear the appropriate footwear. The first mile + is a relatively steep climb but provides an excellent workout. Trail was well marked.

Sat May 11 2019

River crossing is a little high

Fri Aug 24 2018

I haven’t been here for a decade or more, but just as nice as I remembered, well marked and well maintained, a moderate lift to check out the heart. Pleasant walk in the woods.