Zion Narrows Trail to Upsilon Temple

Zion Narrows Trail to Upsilon Temple is a 14 mile out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features a river. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking.

I did this back in May 2013 in conjunction with the Narrows. I went with a group of people and had a car shuttle, which made this a nice all day hike rather than an overnight stay. This was my first water hike and I loved every minute of it. I brought hiking poles but found that they were more cumbersome than helpful when trying to navigate slippery rocks in shin-deep water. Wearing high quality water shoes with nice tread is a must. Bathing suit bottoms under your hiking shorts is also a must. As is the use of dry bags. There is one section where you must repel down some rocks. I was with a group of people who brought ropes and harnesses, so I'm unsure whether there was already a rope provided that just stays anchored in. In May, the water was cold but not unbearable. After hiking all day in it, I didn't feel like a popsicle. Some areas are more narrow than others, such that you can almost touch the slot canyon walls on either side of you. The deepest the water gets is about waist deep, not counting a couple sections where you have to swim (I pushed my backpack ahead of me while swimming. It was a regular backpack but it managed to float well and stay dry to my surprise). In these sections are great places to cliff jump, but beware of the bats! There are sand bars and rocky outcroppings along way, so it's not too hard to find places to dry off and eat a lunch.

We hiked up to Big Spring and back this morning. This was one of the greatest hiking experiences that I have ever been on, second only to Angels Landing which we completed yesterday. My son, Spencer and I got on the second shuttle leaving the visitor's center. We started the hike at around 7:00 am and got back to the shuttle stop before 1:00pm. We stopped for several pictures, to enjoy the scenery, talk with the few hikers we encountered, and to eat lunch at Big Spring. But, we had a maddening pace! Spencer is a 24 year old soccer player and he set the pace most of the hike. I'm 58, but I stayed right with him. The experience was awesome! The views were great and trudging the Virgin River was a lot of fun. Expect to get wet if you are going any distance, so don't be timid and get wet early. It was a little cool at the start of our hike, but keep moving and it actually feels pretty good even when you're wet. The water was waist deep in a few places and chest deep in one location, but we had to scale a big rock in the river to avoid having to swim. We left early on the advice of many reviews I have read. And it really paid off. We had Wall Street and almost the entire latter part of the hike to ourselves. If you are going at least some distance into Wall Street, I would definitely recommend renting the water boots, neoprene socks, and hiking stick. They all paid off. The rocks in the river were big and many were slick. Like one of the reviews I read, at times it was very much like walking on bowling balls. I considered using my trekking poles, and I'm glad I didn't. They are not sturdy enough, especially when you're moving at a face pace and step on a rock wrong. The sturdy sticks saved me from going down several times. I don't think my trekking poles would have survived. Two liters of water and a few snacks for energy were plenty for me. Coming back through Wall Street, we started running into crowd of people. Start early if you want some time to experience the greatness of this part of creation. Again, Great hike!

Absolutely worth the drive. Unlike anything else I've done! Took my 10 year old and she had a blast, too. Younger kids would've slowed us down.

Start early. This hike gets too crowded.

Loved this hike, but was definitely drained at the end. My friend and I made sure to leave early (7am) in order to avoid the crowds, and we had the canyon to ourselves for most of the hike. I wore my Salomon trail runners with hiking socks and my friend wore closed toe Keen sandals with socks as well. The water in July wasn't too cold and we didn't see a need for neoprene socks. We used our trekking poles and they performed great. I wouldn't attempt to do this hike without poles or a walking stick, we saw several people slip in fall. The water does get deep at some parts and we had to swim at one point (only about 5 yards). The hike itself is gorgeous and we really enjoyed the experience. I would definitely do it again.

If you think you can do the whole thing go for it. I hiked the entire trail up to the first major waterfall about 4 miles in. Make sure you have enough energy to go back, and enough water. Get out to the trail early if you plan to go a long distance, as it gets hot and the first like gets very crowded. Honestly a challenging and enjoyable hike