Zion Narrows Trail to Upsilon Temple

Zion Narrows Trail to Upsilon Temple is a 14 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features a river. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking.

From trailhead to where Orderville Canyon joins the Virgin River is about 4 miles, 1 mile is along the Riverside Walk, then 3 miles in the water, making it an 8 mile "out and back" hike.

A great hike. It's busy, you will seldom if ever be alone in the Narrows - but it's a straight-up fun hike. There's almost no elevation gain but this is no "walk in the park". You're walking through water which is a little strenuous and most of us, after a mile or two, will notice a few muscles complaining that don't usually complain, like the hip flexors for example.

Also you are mostly walking on smooth stones of varying sizes which are harder to see when underwater. Even when you're walking on the river banks, its mostly stones and rocks to walk on or around. So you're secure footing is a constant challenge with every step. Any one step isn't especially difficult, but there's are a lot of steps in 6 miles so you do have to pay attention. It makes it fun actually. We've all crossed streams and small rivers on hikes, this is like a 6 mile wide shallow river crossing.

Early October was a still great time of year for the Narrows. We rented the wet gear. You can get it the night before for no extra charge. Probably the neoprene socks and water shoes are most important. The water was 43 degrees but hikers in shorts seemed to be just fine. You'll want a walking stick or trekking poles for sure. I think the stick is somewhat more advantageous and more fun to use for this particular hike.

There are restrooms at the trailhead, but really nowhere else along the river bank that is accessible and private.

Great hike. One you'll always remember.

I’m 5’2” and made it 4 miles into the Narrows before the water started to get waist deep. Definitely rent the equipment: boots, thermal socks, water pants, and most importantly the walking stick. You’ll need that for balance. I saw people trying this hike with no shoes. I don’t recommend that! It’s absolutely gorgeous and would love to hike it again.

Absolutely amazing. You're hiking through the water the entire time. But it is awesome. Met tons of cool people from Australia, France, Canada, and everywhere else.

This was the most memorable hike I have ever experienced. It is difficult yet rewarding. I recommend renting gear or bringing your own. (Water capable shoes, walking sticks, etc) The water went above my hips at times so I do not recommend this for children below 11/12 years old. (I am 5'3) The rushing cold water (it is cold even in the summer) and slippery rocks makes this journey a tough one. I recommend bringing the correct gear, water, food, a jacket, and regular shoes to change into once the hike is over.

There were lots of people hiking this trail/river in September, which was a little bit surprising. Hikers apparently come from all over the world. Normally I enjoy a little more solitude on hikes, but this presents a great opportunity to meet new people and make new friends.

This is by far my favorite hike ever! Be sure to bring a walking stick or trekking pole and be prepared to get wet in some very cold water. For most, your feet and legs become numb to the cold after a while, though. It's best to have shoes that are both good in water, but that are also thick enough so the rocks underfoot don't bruise your feet. I wore chacos sandals and they were great. Bring a jacket, even on a warm day. The visitors center rents appropriate gear, as well. I'd say children under 10 shouldn't attempt this, as it gets deep in some places and the current is strong. This was an experience of a lifetime and I can't wait to do it again!

Overhyped in my opinion. Just a big slot canyon.

hiking on wet bowling balls!