Learn more

Zion Narrows Trail to Imlay Temple and Big Spring

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(1453)
Zion National Park

Zion Narrows Trail to Imlay Temple and Big Spring is a 8.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October.

Length 8.6 mi Elevation gain 4,553 ft Route type Out & Back
Hiking Partially paved River Views Wildlife Muddy Rocky Scramble Off trail No dogs
Description
Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Tips

Reserve your $ 1 shuttle bus pass on Recreation.Gov well in advance. Seats are limited. This is the full bottom-up day-hike route of the Zion Narrows and you MUST turn around at Big Springs. Access after Big Springs is by permit only and continuing onward without a permit intrudes on campers and can incur a citation by Rangers. The Narrows is one of the most iconic day hikes in Zion National Park named for being the most narrow spot in Zion Canyon. As you hike through the blue water in the gorge, you will look up at rocky canyon walls a thousand feet tall as you walk through the Virgin River. Water levels can vary from ankle deep to chest high, and as with all slot canyons, caution should be used and the weather forecast should be checked. The most popular time to hike the narrows is late spring and summer when the water temperature is warm and the levels are lower. However, even at this time of year storms can cause life-threatening flash floods. Always check in with the rangers before hiking in a slot canyon. The Narrows may be closed during the spring when snowmelt raises the river too high. Fall will leave you with less crowds, but be aware of shorter days and cold water. You will want to bring sturdy shoes with good ankle support that you don't mind getting wet, a walking stick or hiking poles, extra clothing layers for temperature changes, and a dry bag in order to make this hike an enjoyable experience.

There are restrooms and parking at the trailhead. Please keep in mind that during the summer you may have to take a shuttle up the canyon to the trailhead, rather than driving yourself.

Zion National Park: (435) 772-3256

The first mile of the trail is paved and easy. The trail then abruptly ends, and hikers drop into the riverbed. From here, hikers can go as far as they want. Just leave yourself enough energy to make it back!

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (1475)
Photos (1399)
Recordings (924)
Completed (3197)
Gerardo Mora
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 25, 2020

Selling one 7am ticket for tomorrow morning (9/25). Email me at gama95@gmail.com with your offer. Thanks!

Caitlin James
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 24, 2020
Hiking

Incredible, unique experience at Zion. It was worth getting on the 7am shuttle. Crowds were light headed into the narrows and significantly denser as we made our way back to the Riverside Walk.

Chris Leab
Hiking

We are 50 years old and we hiked in 3 miles, took about 3.5 hours, beautiful day.

View Chris's Recording
Kelly Lady
Hiking

Looking for 2 shuttle tickets 10/2 and 10/3!! Will pay! Email is kellymarielady@gmail.com Thanks in advance

Stu Chumney
HikingGreat!Rocky

The reviews are right on the mark. The coolest hike we have ever done. Truly iconic. My wife and I are late 50s and did the entire hike. It took us about 6 hours with a 45 minute lunch midway. Just can’t express how amazing and fun it is. The current and rocks make it unique. I can’t imagine doing it without 1) one stick shoulder high, 2) water boots covering ankles, 3) neoprene socks were awesome. We rented all 3 from Zion Outfitters right at the gate entrance. Fantastic equipment. Great folks. We were on the first shuttle bus at 7am and didn’t start til around 8. It takes a while to get to trailhead but we saw a ton of wildlife along the way. Bathrooms are right at the start. Could not have been more pleased. Cool weather was incredible. If you go early you won’t see much sun round trip. Super crowded when we got back. Algae is not an issue as long as you don’t ingest water. I’m 6’2’ and a couple times water was waist deep and a couple times chest deep.

Alison L
HikingGreat!Rocky

Unlike anything else in the park (or among many other parks!). Did not make it all the way up Wall Street per the other reviews suggesting there’s no huge pay off to go up the entire way. Definitely suggest the spur at Orderville Junction - more shallow and more narrow. Definitely suggest renting canyoneering shoes - prevents rocks from getting into your water shoes and are good on the rocks.

Randy Hebert
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 23, 2020
HikingRocky

Great hike. Different than anything we’ve done before. You’re in the river about half the time, so definitely need water shoes or boots - we rented boots the night before at the rental shop right outside the gate. Very pleasant and not too crowded first thing in the morning. Disregard the elevation gain stat on AllTrails - there is virtually no elevation changes. The hardest part is constantly stepping on and around large rocks in the water. Also, although we did the whole hike, which took about 7 hours there and back, you could definitely turn around half way through and still get the same general feel of it. There isn’t really a huge payoff at the end.

Anuj Gupta
View Anuj's Recording
Christina Russell
Hiking

Rent the boots! Did 8 miles in cheap water shoes and so regretted not having boots! The sticks are a must as well! It’s amazing. Water got to my shoulders towards the back and many times waist deep. I packed way to much water and only ended up drinking 1 water bottle the entire day! Perfect weather and water temps were great! Such a blast

Amy Campolongo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 22, 2020
Hiking

One of my favorite hikes in Zion. Absolutely beautiful. Takes about 5 hours roundtrip from the trailhead and a break for lunch. I’m 5’ 4” and the water reached my chest for a small portion near the end but besides that it only reached to just below my hips. The elevation map is not accurate, it is very flat and there is lots of shade. A few tips are: 1. Go as early as possible, we caught the 7 am shuttle and were alone the whole way up; it was incredibly crowded by the time we got back to the trailhead. (A tip for shuttle tickets: set an alarm up for 9 am the day before your hike when loads of tickets are released and make an account on recreation.gov beforehand to streamline login process.) 2. Trekking poles were an absolute godsend, between how rocky it is and how slick some of the rocks were, I couldn’t even tell you how many times they saved me from a massive wipeout. 3. Boots: whether renting water shoes or using your own, you will need boots if you plan to do the whole trail. The algae shouldn’t be an issue as long as you use reasonable caution i.e. don’t drink the water, no swimming, do not submerge your head. A truly stunning hike and very much worth it.

Renata Williams
View Renata's Recording
My Nam
HikingGreat!

I’ve seen many comments here about Zion shuttle bus tickets. I just want to share that you have about 15 mins window after 8am to get the tickets a day before the tickets. As I first logged in at 8am this morning. There were lots of tickets available(about 200-250 each time slot). They sold out quick so be sure you have the app downloaded and have your credit card set up and ready. Good luck with your trip!

Jeremy Russell
View Jeremy's Recording
Megan Wolfe
View Megan's Recording
Jessica Tolliver
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 21, 2020
HikingRocky

For everyone that can’t get shuttle tickets - rent a bike! The bike ride was beautiful and the only thing you have to worry about is the shuttles. You can come and go as you please and not wait in line. They are a little Pricey ($80), but the ebikes were soooo much fun today!! Totally worth it. As far as the narrows - wear hiking boots and bring a walking stick. Also, the scenery never really changes so don’t push too hard if you aren’t feeling it - turn around.

Pasindu Wewegama
HikingGreat!

One of the coolest hikes I've done! The first mile is paved and part of the river walk trail. At the end of it, you descend right down into the shallow river via some steps and the almost the rest of the trail is in some degree of water! At the very least, the lower half of your body will be submerged in water throughout the hike, so dress accordingly. I am very glad I wore good hiking boots and brought two hiking poles with me. While there were people who were hiking without poles and hiking boots, majority of the people had one or both. The water at the deepest section can come up to 3.5ft+. Of course, you can walk close to the bank and avoid the deepest sections, but that's not as fun. We went on a Sunday afternoon and it started off extremely crowded. However, the further you go in, the less people you will find. Most people turn back in first couple of miles. The rocks under the river can move and slide when you step on them, so just take your time and hike at your own pace, and you will surely have a blast.

Tom Ott
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 21, 2020
Hiking

Better two collapsible poles than one wooden stick. Busy on a Monday. GPS seemed to struggle.

View Tom's Recording
Lindsey Giles
Hiking

The Narrows is truly amazing!!! This trail is nothing like I’ve hiked before. We rented the special socks and shoes from Zion Outfitters, which I highly recommend doing! You are hiking through water mostly the entire time. When we went, the water never reached above our hips. There are several great spots to stop and enjoy a snack or some lunch. I highly recommend going early to beat the crowds, as it was very crowded on our way back out in the afternoon.

Christi McHale
View Christi's Recording
Mikhail Talalay

One comment for people who are saying that there is no stop point. Actually, it exists and navigation even through this app shows it clearly, if map is downloaded. The stop point is the place where you see those 3-4 waterfalls on the left. It is hard to believe that people will miss it :) also at this point you will see the fork: left hand side will be very narrow path... But! you can continue to the right and actually if you do +4-5 miles (correct me if I wrong) you will find a camp there and another trailhead, which goes to the same place but from north. So, you can get to Big Springs from 2 sides.

Simon Li
Hiking

Truly unique hike. We went up to floating rock before turning back. Although that's supposed to only be around 6 miles round trip on the map, my smart watch logged over 11 miles over the course of 6+ hours, as you're constantly crossing back and forth across the water. The views get dramatically better as the canyon narrows around the junction with Orderville. The boots and socks, along with the hiking stick, were critical. Even with them, it was sometimes challenging to properly appreciate the sights above me while making sure not to fall over as I walked through the water. While it would've been doable without rental equipment, all my attention would've been focused on staying upright. As for water level, at 32 CFS, the water never got to my waist (I'm 6'0").

TJ Romero
HikingGreat!

Looking for three shuttle tickets for the weekend of October 2-4 . Please contact my at TJ at see hear meow dot com. Thank you

Elizabeth Mo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 20, 2020
HikingFloodedMuddyRocky

Epic hike; definitely different from your typical hike. I thought about wearing regular water shoes (Think: Keen, Teva, etc.) and I am so happy that I decided to rent water hiking shoes from a nearby retailer (I used Zion Outdoor right outside the park entrance, but there are lots of others in town). I am pretty sure these boots saved my ankles on more than one occasion (as did the walking stick). As others have mentioned, the key is to start early. We caught the 7am shuttle and it took us about 7-8 hours round-trip (includes time to stop for two lunches and lots of pictures). Eventually, there will be times when you feel like you have the whole canyon to yourself. But on the way out, we were surprised but the massive crowds in the lower portion of the canyon. Definitely thankful we didn't have to deal with that the whole hike!

Madeline Queen-Shelburne
HikingGreat!MuddyRocky

There is no shortage of good things to say about this trail. There is truly no trail quite like it! It was such an amazing adventure. One thing I was unprepared for is there is no real “stopping point” unless you follow it all the way to the top (which is a lot of miles and you’d have to hike it all the way back). My husband and I went about 5 miles there and then 5 miles back starting a little before 7 am and made it back by 11:30ish. A couple of notes for this trail. First, START EARLY. I cannot emphasize this one enough! Even on a Thursday, by the time we were heading back this trail was PACKED. Thankfully, we were able to hike this trail while there were only a few others on it and got a lot of it to ourselves. The crowds we saw on the way back would have really ruined the experience in my opinion. Second, bring or rent a hiking stick. My husband and I are young and in good shape and I still fell hard a few times. Without a hiking stick, I would’ve fallen a lot more. Third, you don’t have to rent hiking shoes and socks if you have good shoes. My husband and I own good, water resistant hiking shoes and socks and those did just fine. Yes, our feet were wet but they dried out quickly and we still hiked in those shoes for 10 more miles the rest of the day (you may just want to bring a change of socks).