Zebra Canyon

Zebra Canyon is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Escalante, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Scenic interesting easy hike. No crowds or traffic in June. Waded chest high cold but refreshing water. Would have been much easier to locate if we'd had this app.

We did this hike with three little kids, ages 6, 7, and 10 when it was hot and windy. We started at 12:00, which is definitely one thing I would change given that it was just so hot during the hike back. I would recommend starting at 8:00 if the forecast calls for high temperatures. The slot canyon is beautiful and fun, with great photo opportunities.

We hiked this trail last year, but there was too much very cold water in the slot to get in far enough to see the Zebra striping in the rock. Today, no water in the slot!!! Yay!!!

Well worth the effort, beautiful red rock on the hike out, parts are reminiscent of the area near The Wave in Arizona. Beautiful striping in the slot if you can make it past the small blockage about 2/3 of the way in.

Trail is easy to follow, just be sure when you reach Harris Wash to look for the small cairns which lead you to the left, up the wash to the slot.

Very tight slot with very cold water below knees. Must be able to climb over rock and must be able to do steaming. The trail to the slots is very outstanding and trail was easy to follow

Long walk to the start of the canyon. Very narrow.
A ways in we (2 of us), came to 1st obstacle which stopped the wife. I made it up past that, was stopped by the next obstacle.
Very good slot. I recommend doing both Zebra and Tunnel slots in the same walk.

Absolutely incredible hiking through the slot canyon. Gorgeous sediment lines between pinks, reds, and whites.

Zebra Canyon is a nice hike back to the slot. Zebra had water near chest deep. Still a fun adventure. Do tunnel slot when their.

An easy, heavily trafficked hike with tons of the desert's best on display. The slot canyon provided a drastic cool down with freezing water up to my belly (I'm tall!). Bring some snacks to enjoy after wading through the slot so you can warm back up on the sand before you put your pants back on. Or maybe you didn't take them off. Have FUN!
More on my experience including photos can be found by following this link:

the canyon was full of water in mid October. We heard later that peekaboo canyon a few miles down was great. I would recommend trying that one first

Wednesday, June 17, 2015