Learn more

Zebra Canyon is a 5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Escalante, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 5.0 mi Elevation gain 354 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (160)
Recordings (143)
Completed (494)
Matt Yerby
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 04 2020
HikingNo shade

The trail overall was in good shape, once you get to the main wash where you can either turn left or right, turn left. Zebra Slot is located to the left in the wash. Other than that, it is easy to find. Most people were taking the right down the large wash and this will take you around the tunnel slot trail.

Skylar Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jun 24 2020
HikingBugsOff trailScramble

Was a great trail. The slot canyon was so much more narrow than i expected. There are a lot of trails that break off from the main trail to zebra slot. I questioned several times if i had taken the wrong trail back to the parking. I found photos on google to be very helpful to finding the slot canyon itself. There were a lot of mosquitos when i went.

Kristin George
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 20 2020
HikingNo shade

Most of the trail is on rock or sandy washes, the canyon itself is great, but it's a small portion of the hike. Pretty much no shade. On our way down, a group warned us that you can't get to the slots because a cattle guard is up - there is a cattle guard, but you can either push it and walk through easily, or go around on the trail to the right of the cattle guard.

Julian S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 19 2020
HikingNo shade

Easily accessible driving down the top portion of Hole in the Rock Road. No shade at all, so I would avoid a midday departure from the trailhead. Took 55 minutes each way for me to walk there. It’s not a long slot canyon but the walls are very pretty, as advertised. You are walking in loose sand the last 15 minutes before reaching the slot. As it’s an out-and-back and not a loop, getting in and out of the slot with other people there is not easy, and may even involve one person propping themselves up between the walls for another to go underneath. I wished others were wearing face coverings in the slot; Zebra may not be the most ideal destination in the middle of a pandemic. There was no water on the floor of the slot when I went in mid June.

Lindsay Taele Mariner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 15 2020

Went during memorial day weekend which was a mistake because of how busy it was. The end is through sand but the rest is pretty easy.

Shannon Brooks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 12 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

A good portion of the trail is through sand which makes it more tiring to walk through. I would only recommend this trail if you start very early or late when the temps are down. we started off around 10am and it was around 70 degrees so it wasn’t bad. Once it hit above 80 it’s honestly miserable. There’s no shade, so plan accordingly.

View Shannon's Recording
Beau Stricker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 11 2020
Hiking

Long exposed approach to the canyon. But worth it if you are up for wiggling through tight places and getting inventive on how to maneuver some area of the canyon. Way fun!!

View Beau's Recording
Brent Hogue
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 09 2020
HikingNo shade

Canyon is nice once you get there, but I dont recommend this hike during the summer because you are pretty much 100% exposed for about 90% of the hike.

Brenna Cranswick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat May 30 2020
HikingFlooded

Flooded with some preeetttyyyy dang smelly water. It’s a gorgeous hike to the slot canyon but don’t expect to go very far into it! It’s a tight squeeze!

View Brenna's Recording
Tanya Lemke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue May 26 2020
HikingNo shade

95 percent of the trail is on the way to a short canyon area. On a hot day it’s really rough. Plan in the morning or late afternoon as there is minimal shade. The wildflowers are plentiful and kept me going although I don’t think I would do it again unless I planned on doing the added tunnel slots loop and again in a cooler part of day.

Becki Ennen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon May 25 2020
Hiking

We did this hike on a 75 degree May day and started at 7am. It was beautiful. The parking lot gets very busy later in the day and it would be hot if later in the summer. It says dog friendly, which is true for the hike portion, but most dogs won't fit in the slot canyon. The slot canyon itself is VERY narrow and this was not mentioned anywhere in guidebooks so I wanted to do so here. I am a thin female and I only made it through the first section. My husband stemmed up to make it further. We had calf deep water on the first section of the slot canyon. We recommend carrying your shoes if possible so you can use them to stem up if you want to go further than your body size may allow Enjoy!

Jennifer Hemberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri May 22 2020
Hiking

About a foot of water at the slot canyon portion. Great hike to and from! Zero shade— take lots of water

View Jennifer's Recording
Jim Grindley

Amazing little slot canyon at the end. Make sure to bring a dry bag and some wet shoes. Shin deep water currently. Cold in the morning but no one else was there.

View Jim's Recording
Jessica Robertson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu May 21 2020
Hiking

Great trail, not very difficult but gets very hot in the afternoon so bring a hat & water! We got on the trail pretty early & there was remotely nobody but on our trek out it was more trafficked.

View Jessica's Recording
Cody & Kristi Sessions
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun May 17 2020
HikingNo shade

Best to do this hike either in the early morning or late afternoon as there is no shade until you get to the slot canyon which is at the end of the 2.5 miles. The slot canyon itself is short and at points you may have to shimmy against the canyon walls to get through. There is water at the beginning of the slot canyon that goes up to about mid-thigh (I’m 5’6) that goes for about 10 yards in.

View Cody & Kristi's Recording
Ben Whitman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu May 14 2020
Hiking

Awesome trail. I hiked this with a broken arm and was unable to make it to the last best part due to my arm but my brother made it and overall it was awesome. I’m 6’2 and the water was just under waste deep at the deepest and I did this about a week ago.

Katelyn Collins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat May 09 2020
HikingFloodedScramble

Hike about 2.5 miles into Zebra Slot. It was about waist deep for the first section of the slot canyon. I’m about 5’4” for reference. Then scrambled up sections of the slot canyon up to the Zebra Strips which were incredible. Definitely had to squeeze through some areas to get up to this. After the stripes it reaches a potholes with water and you can’t continue past that. This is an in and out slot canyon. It doesn’t connect to tunnel canyon like I thought without needing rope and gear to climb up past the potholes with water in them. Still well worth climbing into the slot canyon to see the zebra stripes.

Jena Meinecke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 03 2020
HikingFloodedScramble

Great link-up trail! Water was waist deep in both Zebra and Tunnel canyons. We didn’t use wet suits and we were fine. Dead-easy to navigate.

View Jena's Recording
Aubrey Robison
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Apr 04 2020

Hard to keep on trail.

View Aubrey's Recording
Richard Braxton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jan 26 2020
Hiking

Difficult trail to follow right now. Not a lot of snow and some ice, but super muddy. I’d highly recommend downloading the map from AllTrails onto your phone if you go.

View Richard's Recording
Kameko W.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Dec 21 2019
HikingFlooded
View Kameko's Recording
Ali Marpo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Nov 27 2019
HikingOff trail

the all trails trail between zebra and tunnel is incorrect and wants you to cross a fence onto private land, that being said we used all trails offline to get us where we needed to be. right now, there is SO MUCH WATER in zebra and tunnel! couldnt really do the slots.

View Ali's Recording
Dan Doan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Nov 26 2019
Flooded

Attempted Zebra today, 11/26/19, and the canyon was flooded with water from the moderate rain the week prior. Tried wading in, but when it got to neck level at one of the really narrow points (I'm 5'5") I decided to turn back about 30 yds in as I didn't bring my dry bag for my camera gear. Air temp was in the mid 30s during the day and the water felt like it was in the 40s. So, for those who really "gotta want it", bring a dry bag and a spare change of clothes so you don't get hypothermia for the hike back. Or better yet, pack a swimmer's wetsuit ;). I think it would have been possible to shimmy up the walls at the narrow point, but I have no idea how deep the water you'd be stepping down into is beyond that. Tunnel canyon was also under some water, but I was already dry again and didn't wade in to investigate.

DeWayne Dennis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Oct 26 2019
Hiking

Hiked 10/23/2019 The hike to Zebra Slot Canyon is enjoyable. For the most part the trail parallels a small dry wash ( sometimes you’re in the wash or crossing it ) but we did not encounter any water on this hike until we were inside the slot canyon. The region had received no rain for 100+ days prior to our arrival. The sandstone monoliths along this hike are beautiful, huge, rugged and quietly remote. The little wash you follow eventually runs into a much larger one (Harris Wash) where you turn left and complete your approach to the slot. If a slit is smaller than a slot then this is a slit canyon. We found it too tight for our physical abilities (not fat, just not nimble enough) to go more than 50 feet into the canyon. Younger, more nimble persons will have no problems scrambling in. The shallow, 8-10 inches of unavoidable water is very cold and murky and the slot (slit) in places is just wide enough to put one foot down. The hike on this trail is great but we were very disappointed in this destination and our inability to access and see the zebra striped walls. Incidentally, we encountered a few other hikers equally disappointed in this slot canyon for the same reasons. I give it 3 stars. ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Brooke R.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Oct 19 2019

BBKC Penny, 60-70ishd