Zebra and Tunnel Slots is a 6.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Escalante, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 442 feet Route Type: Loop

As of March 30, 2020, users have reported that part of the route had a barbed wire fence. Please consult the park's website before visiting.

What a wonderful hike!!!!! It is amazing and less crowded then the other ones!! So much fun. Yes the water stinks but it is worth it!!

Today is the day you find out how much of your butt is blubber and how much is bones. As people have pointed out, this hike is mostly the approach to the canyon, which is beautiful, but it also HOT and sandy. When you get to the canyon, it is too tight for many many people to get through. There are three tight sections followed by slightly wider sections where you can pass people or recover arm strength. The three sections get progressively tighter. You can see the zebra stripes if you complete the first section or second section, i can’t re member. If you make it through all the sections, you face a canyon wall of zebra stripes which some people were partially climbing. That’s as far as anyone got, About 50 ft. If you are not a clild or a slim person, you will probably not fit through the sections. The alternative is to crab walk up and across the canyon where it is wider. If you crab walk, it is a lot of arm strength so please make sure you have enough strength to get back and that you feel comfortable reversing the climb. Crab walking is not difficult but dangerous if you mess up. As the saying goes, getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory. I did not fit, so i crab walked the first two sections but couldnt get a good grip on the third, so i turned around. Also tunnel slots is very short. Like 100 ft. Thigh high water when i went through and I’m 5’5. So all of this hot sandy approach was for a combined 150 ft of canyon. Zebra is very frustrating, and with the crowds and the tightness is not a very good experience. If i were going back i would skip. I did this after doing spooky and peekaboo in the am, which was gorgeous and challenging and a much better hike.

NOT A HIKE FOR KIDS! The Actual slot was very skinny and slippery to climb through. My 7 year old daughter could barley fit through the slots with out scraping her knees and crying because she felt stuck i did to! We did not even make it pst the second slot. The hike was actually 3 miles in without going in the slots. But the landscape of the hike was really pretty on the way there! The actual slot was about 50 yards. The slots were a big let down!

Just like when Tayla hiked it (see the previous reviews). Right after the most spectacular part of the canyon you climb up a bit and then get to the pothole. Don't even bother climbing past the first pothole full of water that's near the end of the canyon. I got past the first one but to get any further without proper climbing gear is near impossible. A very good boulderer with long limbs might have luck but save yourself the trouble and just retrace your steps if you want to head to Tunnel slots as well.

the slot canyons very tight in some places so you will need a mixture of trying to squeeze through and climb (i struggled). when we went the water was about knee deep and i’m about 5’9. We were able to go at least a couple hundred feet into the slots and see the stripes on the walls...we turned around at the giant pothole full of water- there wasn’t an obvious way of climbing over it

All the wonderful views are gathered in one place.

Water up to 3ft you have to cross when you get to zebra.

This is a good trail and overall I would say it’s worth it. A couple things I would do differently if I did it again.... I’d go to the right at the turnoff to zebra and do tunnel first. The trail from zebra to tunnel clockwise was very confusing and much easier to do counter clockwise. The water was cold but so refreshing after hiking through the hot sand. The water in tunnel is gross. We pulled out a very dead mouse from it. But it was still worth going through. Zebra has potential, HOWEVER, you really need to have upper body strength and a pretty good physique to get through. It was very tight.

flooded

The hike was really lovely, make sure to download the map because there are points where it is easy to lose the trail. We went about halfway into the zebra slot before the water reached waist height (I’m 5’6”) and we didn’t have a change of clothes so we decided to turn back. We were going to run out of daylight and chose not to continue to tunnel slot but it was still a super enjoyable hike :)

Such a great trail, easy markings to follow. I would highly recommend it.

flooded

Trail is decent and moderately pretty and interesting- not difficult to follow. Slot canyons are great but short. Connector between was gorgeous and covered with Mochi marbles. Zebra had ~120 ft of water going as deep as 3 ft in a few spots. I carried 3 kids through (shuttled) and they were able to do the rest. Some quite narrow sections but doable for kids. Can do full slot and back in 10 minutes. Scramble at end to pothole is not worth it. Tunnel had 150 ft section of water to 3 ft. Wide enough to carry kids on shoulders. Very cold but very cool/fun. I strongly recommend doing Zebra first and coming through tunnel top to bottom because tunnel water is freezing and at top of tunnel is a shaded canyon for 10 minutes with a breeze whereas bottom of tunnel is sunny warm wash.

the out and back portion had great views and was very easy to follow. The loop had a ton of side trails that were somewhat confusing.. the alltrails red line seems to follow the wash between zebra and the end of tunnel.. however the side trails beside the wash also went in the right direction. In between zebra and tunnel is also confusing bc there is a fence and theres no discernible trail, basically just follow the red line until you need to descend into the slot (conveniently the fence ends where you should go down). Tunnel slot has about 100 feet of frigid water up to 3-3.5 feet depth in spots - i did go through, carried my stuff above my shoulders, felt like death. Zebra slot also has water.. didnt go past the second puddle since was still recovering and didnt need any additional hypothermia. want to go back after everything dries out.

Beautiful

Hike to the entrance of the canyon itself was beautiful but water is basically right at the entrance. That’s the only reason I gave 4. We didn’t dare to get in but chatted with some folks who got in the water. They could not finish due to frigid water up to chest or neck level (depending on your height I suppose). I hiked to the top of the slot canyon in the hope that I can peek inside but was not worth the effort since I couldn’t see much. Whatever I could barely see inside of the canyon was beautiful though and I can’t wait to visit at a different time.

We went on cold and windy day. Even snowed lightly. The problem was that the short portion of the slot canyon was full of water so we couldn’t go through! So disappointed. Gad it been warm we might have tried wading... Also part of the route had a barbed wire fence that we had to go under.

icy

I only did the Zebra Slot portion, which is counterclockwise, and it was definitely an experience. I'm a 5'7" female who wears a size 8 and could not fit. I also have a butt, so that might be why, but I had to shimmy up the wall to get through. Definitely a lot of work, but worth it. Afterwards, I went down the street and completed Peek-a-Boo and Spooky Slots, which was a good time, too. I highly recommend both.

,,,

Beautiful hike to the Zebra slot canyon. Thanks to our all trails app we didn’t get lost. It can be confusing. The water was just above our knees. I suggest wearing water shoes or sandals that will grip so you can shimmy up the wall a bit in the narrowest section. It is very narrow!