I believe Escalante has some of the greatest adventure hikes out there, BUT I have had enough scary experiences in Escalante that I would STRONGLY advise that if you want to have the adventures here you NEED 4 things. 1. All Trails or a similar app with the downloaded map on your phone with a spare battery or a Garmin. 2. An external GPS for your phone (I have a global SAT for only $40). 3. Water shoes in your backpack. 4. A paper map as a backup. ( Also always drop a pin at your car.). Escalante is a wonderland, but the trails are not well marked and so it is crucial you do your homework about what you are heading into and go prepared.
To get to the hike you drive about 10 miles down Hole In The Rock Road until you see a cattle guard with a parking area on the right side of the road. This is the parking lot, and the trail is just across the road. After not very long on the trail the cliffs turn beautiful with cool wave patterns. They are beautiful. We headed to Zebra trail and did that trail first, and then headed right which I believe is South. You get to a fence. I was told we had to climb under it. We walked by a field of cool black balls that were facinating, and this is where my All Trail came in as a HUGE help. Not sure if we would have found it without my external GPS, and that downloaded map, but when we did find it, it was an obvious crack in the canyon that you are looking at from above. The decent into the canyon was steep, but if you go at it slowly and carefully it was not bad. The next challenge to deal with is the water. We went when it was only high 50's in temperature, so getting wet was something we had to be careful about. If it was a super hot day, I am sure it would have been just a nice cool down. Each time.we got to water, we put on our water shoes and quickly got through and then dried off our feet and got our warm shoes back on. The big landmark of this hike is that the trail narrows down into a narrow canyon about 2 feet wide that is about 30-40 feet long. It has rocks that have settled on top creating a tunnel. Most the time this tunnel is filled with water, so you have to get in the water to make it through. I stayed close to the cave wall, so it only came up to right under my bottom, but in the middle it was deeper. Very cool hike, but like most hikes in Escalante, GO PREPARED, for it is super easy to get lost. Here is my blog for a 360 stitch of the hike. Tunnel. http://shaunasadventures.blogspot.com/2018/02/360-adventure-tunnel-slot-canyon.html?m=1

Zebra