Zebra and Tunnel Slots

Zebra and Tunnel Slots is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Escalante, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Really fun hike, tunnel slot had 16in of freaking cold water in it and a small pool just past it. The water was a great break from the 90' heat. Zebra was dry but very cool inside.
There is a rock arrow marking the entrance to tunnel out on the wash. Only trouble we had was getting a 70lb dog over the rock fall just past the pool.
Overall a great hike! Take twice as much water as you think you'll need. Me and the dog blew through 6 liters!

Great hike with scenic views the entire way. The end before the slot canyon was extremely sandy, so be sure to bring appropriate shoes. We had sneakers on and it made it difficult. We also brought the dog which was great until the slot - had to take turns going in because we couldn't bring him in there - very narrow. I would not do this again, but the slot canyon at the end was amazing. Worth seeing once.

It’s a shorter slot canyon but beautiful canyon walls.

So cool!!! If you're claustrophobic you might not want to go through the rocks when you get there, it gets pretty narrow when you get through and there is a dead end. Just liked this May 7th and there's about 20 yards of water to walk through about knees deep as well. Awesome hike though.

we're we see we see ee3222e233 we

Hiked Zebra today (4.20.18) and the slot is currently bone dry. This is after the rain passed through the area earlier in the day. We did hear reports from others that Tunnel had waist deep water so opted out of that one for today. If you take a pack, make sure its compact, otherwise you can leave at the opening, as it gets extremely narrow. The slot itself is maybe 0.1 mile, but well worth the trek!

I believe Escalante has some of the greatest adventure hikes out there, BUT I have had enough scary experiences in Escalante that I would STRONGLY advise that if you want to have the adventures here you NEED 4 things. 1. All Trails or a similar app with the downloaded map on your phone with a spare battery or a Garmin. 2. An external GPS for your phone (I have a global SAT for only $40). 3. Water shoes in your backpack. 4. A paper map as a backup. ( Also always drop a pin at your car.). Escalante is a wonderland, but the trails are not well marked and so it is crucial you do your homework about what you are heading into and go prepared.
To get to the hike you drive about 10 miles down Hole In The Rock Road until you see a cattle guard with a parking area on the right side of the road. This is the parking lot, and the trail is just across the road. After not very long on the trail the cliffs turn beautiful with cool wave patterns. They are beautiful. We headed to Zebra trail and did that trail first, and then headed right which I believe is South. You get to a fence. I was told we had to climb under it. We walked by a field of cool black balls that were facinating, and this is where my All Trail came in as a HUGE help. Not sure if we would have found it without my external GPS, and that downloaded map, but when we did find it, it was an obvious crack in the canyon that you are looking at from above. The decent into the canyon was steep, but if you go at it slowly and carefully it was not bad. The next challenge to deal with is the water. We went when it was only high 50's in temperature, so getting wet was something we had to be careful about. If it was a super hot day, I am sure it would have been just a nice cool down. Each time.we got to water, we put on our water shoes and quickly got through and then dried off our feet and got our warm shoes back on. The big landmark of this hike is that the trail narrows down into a narrow canyon about 2 feet wide that is about 30-40 feet long. It has rocks that have settled on top creating a tunnel. Most the time this tunnel is filled with water, so you have to get in the water to make it through. I stayed close to the cave wall, so it only came up to right under my bottom, but in the middle it was deeper. Very cool hike, but like most hikes in Escalante, GO PREPARED, for it is super easy to get lost. Here is my blog for a 360 stitch of the hike. Tunnel. http://shaunasadventures.blogspot.com/2018/02/360-adventure-tunnel-slot-canyon.html?m=1

Zebra

Zebra and Tunnel may be full of water, ask at Escalante VC first

Beautiful hike and the beginning of zebra was beautiful. You either have to be really thin or Spider-Man to get through. We only had 8” of water for about 4 feet. It was pretty and a nice trek, but I don’t know if I would recommend it. It is definitely single file through the slot and not for curvy people. If you go, take leather gloves and an old shirt for scrambling.

This was my first slot and I am HOOKED. Awesome, easy hike in October. The temperature was 75 degrees but judging by the squeals of the grown men wading through the canyon the water temp was about -30. Went pantsless and barefoot but you do you. For more info and photos (none of the screaming grown men), check out my post by following the link below:

Trail well marked up until you hit the riverbed. Once at riverbed look closely for drift wood markers & rock markers. At the slots the water was COLD in October but fun as hell. Water went to just above my belly button and I’m 5’7” tall (67 cm). Enjoy! It’s beautiful

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Nice trail, the first part is in the desert, without shadow and without any kind of signs. At the parking cross the road and follow the sand path.
The slot is very nice. We do it with 3-4 foot of water inside but the walls of the canyon are very nice.
Trail of 3 hours

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Thursday, May 18, 2017

trail markers were a bit hard to find, but it was fun to squeeze and shuffle our ways through the slot canyon!

Monday, April 17, 2017

Great hike. Zebra was chest deep in water in places. Just made it more fun. Tunnel slot also had deep water. tunnel is very short. Hiked through and then followed the narrow canyon and over the slick rock back to the trail head. Great all the way.

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Amazing!!!

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The hike was enjoyable but Zebra was chest high deep with water, so not passable with our kids and cooler temps. Found some moqui marbles along the way.

Friday, December 09, 2016

don't forget your waders during winter. 3 feet of water on Zebra slot

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Did both of these,not bad,the hike in was a little excessive for the length of slots. It was nice though

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Amazing. First time in Utah. The hikes are rich in colored rock. One of my favorites. Research weather and quick sand before this trail. Dress appropriate for taking a dip on a hot day.

Tuesday, December 01, 2015

A pleasant, beautiful and mostly flat hike. The trail starts after the "no collections" sign and can be found easily following footsteps. It follows the wash for the first 2.5 miles or so. The trail divides there, take a left to go to Zebra. You will find the entrance easily following footsteps. If you hang a right, you can do an extra loop and enter tunnel canyon from the other side. Tunnel canyon is generally filled with water and unless you are prepared to get wet and/or cold it is advisable to approach it from the zebra side. It is close to the zebra entrance, towards the right when coming towards zebra. Btw, we did the long loop and explored an adjacent wash. This was quite beautiful; however, there was quicksand (fiancé momentarily slipped in knee-deep), so be careful.

Wednesday, September 09, 2015

A bit of a hike for the shortness of the slot but we were doing 7 hikes in two days and this one was en route so we added it.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Zebra Slot is incredible...but short. Still, it's worth seeing. We hiked it in April 2015 and everything was dry making the hike through the wash especially grueling on the way back. I found a website that tried to explain doing both slots as a loop but we must have dropped down too soon and ended up having to hike a LOT in the wash. Even though it's not a looooong hike, our legs were pretty tired. But, man is it pretty...and the Moqui Marbles are so cool...just take your time and enjoy the views.