Wire Pass Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Kanab, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 216 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

Note: $6 per person to enter the BLM land Wire Pass is a short drainage that joins the much longer Buckskin Gulch slot canyon, and provides a convenient entrance point, enabling hikers to bypass the upper 4 miles of the gulch which are shallow and less interesting than the 12 miles downstream. From the trailhead, the streamway is 1.75 miles. For the first mile from the trailhead, the walk is along a wide, meandering streambed between low reddish cliffs, over soft sand that makes progress rather difficult. Signs discourage hikers from taking short cuts across the grassy banks inside the bends of the stream, since this can cause erosion. There is not much to see at first, except various lizards - the drainage is home to quite a few examples of the large desert spiny lizard, a species more interesting than most with colorful patches of orange, black and blue. The surrounding cliffs become gradually higher and closer together, and the last half mile has two good deep stretches of narrows. At the end of the second slot the cliffs open out suddenly at the confluence with Buckskin Gulch; downstream is a deep and enclosed one mile section before the gulch becomes quite wide for a while and so this would be a good target for a half day hike, for those who want just an introduction to the Buckskin canyon system. Beware, there are rattlesnakes in this area. Other potential wildlife includes canyon wrens, peregrine falcons, condors, and great horned owls. It gets very hot in the canyon, so it is not recommended to do this hike in the middle of summer.

I brought my two GSDS with me and I wish I had brought their harnesses to help them down the 8ft drop. Thankfully there were nice strangers that helped. The hike was beautiful and worth the drive. I was able to do in my Tiguan.

fee

Great trail! $6 per person to enter the BLM land....We started here which was better since there’s a parking lot right at the trailhead. The Wire Pass Trail is about 1.5-2.0 miles and then it opens up at a junction and the Buckskin Gulch runs North-South from there. We turned right, saw some petroglyphs along the wall, and kept going for another 2 miles or so. Some parts are narrower and can be rocky...other parts have this beautiful red-orange soft sand! Note- it can get pretty chilly....we ended up putting on gloves! LOL but it was absolutely beautiful! The beginning is more slot Canyon and then it begins to open up after the junction. BEWARE there’s a drop on the wire pass right at the beginning but it’s not impassible. Just make sure you go with another friend to help you out! Overall I would say, it’s almost as pretty as Antelope Canyon ;) but it’s definitely different in its own beautiful way!

I was unsuccessful in obtaining a permit for the Wave so we decided to still hike the Wire Pass trail and loved it. The slot canyons are beautiful. Beware - there is a pretty big drop off about half way through. Someone put a log and leaned it up against the wall, but I watched two gentlemen fall backwards a few feet down on to a pile of rocks because they lost their footing. Thankfully they were both able to walk away. I was only able to best this part because I had a friend with me. Best bet is to climb down, but on the way back take the upper route above the slot canyon. Just follow the cairns.

Slot canyons are amazing but there is a drop-off half way, so if you want to see the other side you have to walk up and around to the other side which is pretty dangerous. I ended up doing it and it was worth it as I was in the canyon by myself. I would not recommend amateur hikers to do the walk around portion, but anyone can do the regular trail and first half of the canyon. Overall the slot canyons made this hike good as the trail is to normal for me and I would rather have a more challenging trail. Cons: $6 fee per person and over 8 mile off-road path to get to trailhead. I would not recommend this trail if you do not have 4x4 and high clearance as you can easily dent up you vehicle.

Yes, the road from 89 is rough, but you definitely don't need high clearance. The washboard surface makes you go slow. A BLM ranger met us in the parking lot and told us that she is constantly removing ladders from the obstruction in the narrow part of Wire Pass, and that they are very unstable and unsafe. Go ahead and walk into the first narrows, and find the obstruction (just to see it), then walk back out and find the rock cairn showing you the bypass up to the rim and back down. It's on your left as you leave the narrows. You can then go into the narrows and back to the obstruction from there, before proceeding on. We thought the narrows of Wire Pass were neater because they were SO narrow, compared to Buckskin, but Buckskin is gorgeous because of the colors and height of the walls

Hiked October 28, 2019 $6 day use fee to be paid at the trailhead. The road from 89 to the trailhead is rough. High clearance 4x4 recommended but I saw plenty of sedans I actually preferred the slot canyons here than Upper/Lower Antelope in Page because I could take my time and enjoy it without being shepherded along with dozens of other people. Wire pass has a short slot canyon but it dumps you into Buckskin Gulch which leads to a super long series of slot canyons. The map here ends at Buckskin but totally worth hanging a right and continuing for another mile or 2. Beware there is a steep drop in the Wire Pass slot that requires the use of a ladder.

Easy and quick route into Buckskin Gultch. Don't miss the cave drawings on the right when the pass opens up to Buckskin. Very beautiful and worth the short trip!

Wasn’t totally sure what to expect but the reviews seemed promising. We braved it in our minivan with 5 kids in tow. Happy to report that the road conditions were fine as long as you take it slowly. My kids, ages 2-11 all did great and loved exploring the slot canyon. The trail is well marked and easy to follow. The hike through the wash is exposed to direct sun but the second half while in the canyon can be chilly. Be sure to take water and have a warm layer handy.

Great trail and awesome replacement for the over-booked/over priced Antelope (as long as you are not a pro. photographer maybe). The dry dirt road was Ok for our GMC, though we had to clean it afterwards :-) There are toilets and envelopes for the fee. We reached the intersection about 50 minutes from the begging. I would advise to not end there, but go inside the Buckskin Gulch, depending on your time budget. Thanks for the people who put the ladder, with it the way was very easy.

The ladder was still in place to help hikers navigate the 10-foot drop caused by the rock fall. My hike would have ended at that point if the ladder wasn’t there! Slots were incredible!!

Long dirt road led to the Wire Pass Trailhead - doable in standard cars as long as you drive carefully. The hike itself was amazing - far different than the mountain trails I normally visit. The slot canyon was cool compared to the heat of the day in direct sunlight.

Amazing trail. The new ladder made all the difference. The trail was practically dry today (10/14) and we had no problems completing it. Almost missed the petroglyphs, distracted by the graffiti.

Great slot canyons! The path is mostly rocky and sandy and quite easy other than the ~8ft ladder about 1.5 miles in (fine for me, not the best for my dog). If you back up and go up and to the right you can avoid the ladder by going above the slot canyon. I met a nice woman in the parking lot at the trailhead who had just completed the hike and she carried her dog down the ladder but then coming back used the path over the top. I took her suggestion and with the help of nice passerby’s carried my 35lb dog down the ladder just fine.

Everyone was just following the wash, instead of the trail. There was a ladder into the slot canyon, so we had to hike up the rocks to the right to go around with the dog. Buckskin gulch at the end was so peaceful and beautiful.

Oct 6 2019 someone had placed an aluminum laddar in place. I’m not a laddar fan but did fine. Petroglyphs at the confluence of Buckskin Gulch. If you go right, there are lots of rocks If you go left, it is sandy. Loved the trail. Antelope canyon gets $100 for that experience. This was a great ride, hike without a rushed charter type experience.

Washboard gravel road for 8mi until trailhead, might get difficult in wet. Maintenance at trailhead said slick like ice. Saw some sedans, they were going pretty slow and no way the shaking of that road is good for them. Some areas with exposed stone poking out of road. Hike starts with gentle downhill into the slot along a streambed. Didn't go too far into the slot, but there is an aluminium ladder placed now where previously it sounds like a fairly precarious climb on a rope ladder or tree. Family past us with young kids had no issues. Only 4 stars since we had to back out due to rainclouds coming in as we got close to the slot - I'd go back again if back in the area. Please keep an eye on the weather and forecast- you will not see the sky from the slot and there is no getting out quickly

The first mile or so is uneventful, but once you get to the slot it is incredible. We continued another 3 miles into Buckskin Gulch and it was worth every step

Beautiful hike but turn off to gravel road not well marked and 8 miles of washboards Just a heads up. Don’t bring your sedan.

Stunning. Such a cool walk through narrows. Not too strenuous. We walked to the right after petroglyphs, found a nice open area for lunch. They’ve replaced the broken tree branch with a ladder. Happy about that as we didn’t want to turn around that quickly.

The chockstone is worth it! Walked to first camping area down stream. Beautiful!

Great little trail. Most people don’t crawl down the tree limb at the rock slide, a little tricky getting back up. If you go either way at the gulch, it’s beautiful but the same mile after mile. This is a Feinstein’s must do hike if you in the area. Rough washboard road for 8 lies to get to trailhead.

It is a must if you go to Vermillion Cliff it is a beautiful trail, have pass between very tight rocky walls. This trail is about 7.5 Km round trip.

This trail is amazing ! Takes a hot second to get to the trail and a mile walk before it gets pretty. You’ll walk through a few slot canyons before you come to the ladder everyone talks about. I’m 5”2 and an avid hiker. I’ve been all over the world so I never thought a little ladder would be such an issue but trying to wrap my torso around to get the tree branch I put pressure on the ladder and it didn’t hold. I’m 115 pounds. Fractured my ankle. Didn’t help I proceeded to walk 15 miles down buckskin after but just be very careful with the ladder. Not safe. So if you’re short you’ll need help. There’s nothing to hold onto trying to get around the big rock and you have to just trust the person and let go. Which is scary enough to land your foot where it needs to go next. Not something just anyone can do. The people behind us all turned back around so if you’re not going to do the ladder. Not worth it. You can go into the same slot canyons at buckskin trailhead start of the trail and then go through wirepass backwards. Just take a right when you get to the big opening. There’s a sign that points to wirepass. But we did wirepass to buckskin. One of the most beautiful scenery hikes I’ve done. Be very careful and check for rain. A family had gotten caught in a flash flood. 10 min of rain and water flows too fast down into the slot canyons. Two of them didn’t make it out they were telling us when we went to page later that week. :( so look at the forecast if you’re doing slot canyons. Flash floods are no joke !

Incredible place, highly recommended and free, you only pay for parking, with the annual pass only half. Nothing to envy to the canyon antelopes, there is only one technical step at the beginning that if several people go it can be easier than one, or it can be avoided surrounding the mountain, it is marked with milestones and you can return to the canyon until the technical step of new. very highly recommended