Willow Heights Trail

Willow Heights Trail is a 1.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is best used from May until December.

42 minutes ago

Fun easy day hike

My favorite fall hike! The elevation gain is mostly the first half. It is a bit rocky but nothing too difficult. My kids did it easily. The lake is beautiful and the trees are stunning. Even more beautiful at the end of September. Lots of moose

Solid hike for beginners. Many nice shady areas to hang out up top. Good shade along the trail. We saw a moose too.

A nice trail without too much traffic. A great option if you want to avoid the crowds at Donut Falls.

The steep portion at the head of the trail was tough for my kids to tackle.

OK for Mom

I feel like I have kind of become a trail snob because I have gone on so many hikes this year that I am more picky than I normally would be, which is why I only gave it 3 stars. This trail is very steep. Pretty much straight up the hill side. You gain most of the elevation in the first 1/2 mile and it's also really rocky in places. That being said, since the steepness is a short distance it's not that bad. I saw a family with really little ones and they made it to the top. Although I wouldn't recommend taking really little ones as they could trip over the rocks and hurt themselves. I also think coming down is a bit dangerous in spots. I personally had to take fairly small steps and almost slid at one point because of the loose rocks and steep decent. The trail should have been made as switchbacks up the hill so that it was safer. The lake was nice and I bet the wildflowers would have been amazing a few weeks ago. When I got up there (labor day morning at about 9am) there were quite a few people...including yelling and screaming children, so I would recommend going early if you want to avoid the loud family crowds. I did the whole loop around the lake, which gets fairly overgrown. It was about 2.1 miles with that loop. Took me just over an hour.

Short and sweet! We saw a moose and pretty much had the lake to ourselves.

Pretty! Did this last week and tried to out run a fast moving lightning storm!