Willow Heights Trail

Willow Heights Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

We are pretty much beginners, in our 40's, time to start keto and get in shape before my first heart attack... that while thing. If I can do this one anyone can! was a bit of a challenge because it is a nice steady incline until just before the lake. we also saw the frogs, rodents and ducks that are pretty used to humans, and then on the way down we ran into the Moose that others had spotted. There were 2, pretty cool, less than 100 feet from us. So if I did it and did not die, your probably good.

I loved this trail. Nicely shaded and so green the whole way. Not overly strenuous and no loose rock which is always a plus for me. The pond at the top was surrounded by wild flowers and we saw a moose. Really great hike that can be done pretty quickly. When coming back, make sure to turn at the right point to get back to the trailhead or you'll end up in a neighborhood of cabins.

Beautiful, relatively easy hike. Little tough at the beginning, but then easy for the rest. Saw some moose in the meadow and by the lake/pond.

This was a beautiful evening hike with our kids. The beginning is fairly steep, but doable. So many flowers in bloom, we saw 4 moose along the way, and ducks on the lake. The puddle that I had read had frogs was nearly dried up, so we didn’t see any. We were at the trailhead by about 7:20pm, and it was perfect timing with the sun shining through the trees. We went back on a different trail than we started on, as I heard it was less steep. You do end up crossing some logs over a small stream, and it drops you down into a cabin area, taking that route we did need to walk back up the main road a bit to get back to our car. It was a great night!

I would rate this as easy, not moderate. And I'm like 60 lbs overweight. It is a bit steep at the beginning, but only for about half a mile. Then the rest of the trail is pretty much level. The whole hike is beautiful! It looks like a trail where one would see moose, although we did not. Perhaps next time.

This is an easy family hike with kids. It's only 700 feet in elevation gain and the views from the lake are beautiful esp. this time of year when the mountains still carry snow.
We hiked on a Saturday, very busy!!

Great short hike ! Will return in the fall!!

First timer hiking this trail and loved it! Ended up going left at the first fork instead of right (the more direct way to the lake, but steeper, is right) and enjoyed the two different trails going up and down. Beautiful views once you hit the meadow and took time to enjoy the lake. Steep on the way down so hiking shoes would be nice but not necessary. Will be back for sure!

First little bit is rocky and a little steep but my two little ones did it, definitely manageable. Lake is beautiful and often has moose out. Clean up your trash

Pretty busy on the weekends, but that is to be expected. It’s pretty steep and rocky the first quarter mile, but after that it gets a lot easier. I don’t know why this hike is listed as 3 miles, it’s really only half of that (1.5 miles). Either way, still pretty up at the top, but not a lot of shade by the lake.

Bueno

Steep hike but worth it. Everything was amazing, but you will hear a weird noise. It sounds like someone dropping a ball under you every 5-8 mins. My brother and I couldn’t figure out what was making the noise. Talked with other campers and they heard it also. Still don’t know what was making the noise so often, but we now think it was rabbits or some other animal. Anyways prepare for is because you’ll hear it all night long.

great hike!

Short, easy trail. I backpacked in and with a couple buddies on short notice and we were to the lake within 25 minutes while carrying our packs. Good for beginners or someone looking for a short jaunt.

Went around 6:30 pm after a spring rain and the colors were magical! The first bit of trail was rocky and gave a great little workout. Overall short/fast hike with lots of wildlife! I startled some deer on the way down.

Fun short hike! The trail splits and either direction will take you to the lake. We stayed on the right path, a bit rocky and steep at times but not bad at all. Fun hike with lots of aspen trees.

End of April: ran into ice and sparse snow about the point the trail leveled out, ~2 feet of snow around the lake. Snow was hard enough to walk on in some places, but if you don't have snowshoes plan on wearing water resistant boots for post-holing, with good grip for the icy sections. Taking the right hand path upwards, the first half mile or so is pretty steep for out of shape students with backpacking stuff. View across mountains just before lake was gorgeous.

Mid April, 3ft snow, but trail is fairly packed. I recommend micro spikes to help with the slick inclines near the start. Also, wear boots. If you don't have snowshoes, you'll do a few snow lunges, particularly near the lake. Snowshoes will get in the way at the start, but would help the lake area be more enjoyable.

Went up it two days ago. Great views for such a short hike. Probably around 3 feet of snow but at the time that we went it was really solid so we we’re able to hike on the top of it though occasionally we would fall through a bit but we had good boots so it wasn’t too bad. Definitely would come back despite the snow.

Snowshoed with the full moon. Wonderful night. So beautiful seeing the moon in the meadow before the lake.

We loved this hike. It was our first moderate hike, and it was really only bad because it was pretty icy, which made it a little more difficult than we expected, but once we got to the lake, it was amazing. 3 feet of snow that we were able to enjoy, ate a nice sandwich and watched the sun go down. was an awesome hike. definitely recommend.

Always a good hike, and saw moose every time this year.
27 June 2017- 1 moose
14 Sep. 2017- 9 moose
23 Sep. 2017- 2 moose
30 Sep. 2017-3 moose

For those that don't like the steep part or have bad knees (especially going down), take the west trail. Go up Moose Track Lane by the rental store, right before the "regular" trail head. It will head west a short distance, and then do a 180 back east. The trail head is at the end of the pavement. A little longer than the "regular" way, but much easier.

We LOVED this hike! Yes, the first .5 are pretty steep, but then it is a nice stroll to the lake. There is something so beautiful about leafless aspens against a light dusting of snow on the surrounding peaks. We had the trail to ourselves but saw quite a few moose prints. The lake was half frozen, and it was hilarious seeing the kids throw rock after rock trying in vain to break the ice. We want to try this one every season of the year. It's just that pretty.

My favorite fall hike!

Beautiful in the fall with all the colors!

It's a nice trail for a quick hike. Went on a Monday and there were plenty of others enjoying the trail. Nice fall colors and great views of the ski resorts. I would recommend for an easy hike.

Good climb for the first 0.5 miles then nice and flat around the lake. Collared female moose in the lake.

Had a great time up on the trail today. Many leaves have fallen, some mud along parts of the trail, and we saw a beautiful moose in the water. Some people were lounging in hammocks up near the water. Great idea! Many friendly faces along the trail. There was a bit of snow along the shady sections of the hillsides. We made a snowman! Trail is easy to follow. There is a section near the start of the trail that forks off and isn't marked. Luckily other hikers told us to go right up towards the steep section rather than go left.

Decent hike to see the Fall colors. I likely wouldn't hike it any other time of year. Super crowded, even at dusk on a Thursday. Took the extra steps up to Dry Lake, which was literally a dry lake this time of year. No moose for me on this one, only 2 whitetails. Easy hike. Very short.