Willow Heights Trail

Willow Heights Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

This gorgeous trail is rated as easy to moderate. The first 1/4 mile has a steep incline, but the rest of the trail levels out.

We hiked this yesterday in a light snow. It’s a quick hike, although the path is quite steep and the snow cover makes it a bit slippery. The forest is gorgeous to walk through. I want to return on a clear day in the summer to see the lake and the view.

This is a great trail to hike. The first part does get steep, but the views are well worth it. I've done this in early summer and late fall, and both times have been great, though early summer was a little swampy.

Fun, short hike on Christmas afternoon. Very peaceful—we only saw 2 other small groups (and one was as we were just finishing up). The first 1/4 mile is pretty steep! I hiked without snowshoes because the trail was packed enough, but the incline did get slippery. Spikes or crampons probably would have been ideal. In the snow, the incline might be a little tricky for young kids. The mountain was beautiful and the hike was in the sun the entire time. No need for snow pants or snow jackets—just a few warm layers! The lake is completely covered in snow, so the real showstopper was the view of the resorts on the other side of the road! No wildlife (this time) but a few bunny tracks.

Hiked this trail this morning in boots on a solid snowpack. The trail was well defined after a plenty of hikers went through. It is steep in the first section, but short. It then opens up to a large flat area. Absolutely beautiful winter vistas and frozen Aspen groves.

Had to turn back because one of our group from Arizona started getting altitude sickness and asthma.

I brought two 11 year olds and an 8 year old. The trail got a little bit muddy as it got warmer. Overall, it was really fun and beautiful.

November 10,2018

Good casual hike. Negligible snow. Minimal ice and mud. Lake was frozen over but not enough to walk on.

This is a great hike for beginners or those looking for a short but scenic hike. The majority of the trail is through beautiful aspens and there are great views of the mountains on the opposite side of the canyon. Parking is easy and safe due to the long, wide shoulder. As of 10/27/18 all of the leaves have fallen, there are patches of snow, and the lake is low.

Very beautiful. We saw two moose, ducks, and a woodpecker. Definitely steep for the first half.

Lol... this one is steeper than some rated hard on here. It’s just short. I’d say this is moderate, because of the steep part. It’s really not hard, but still a lot steeper than some others rated lower. Decent view.

Incredible hike through a wonderful Aspen forest. The lake is worth the hike. So peaceful. We talked with a local or two who said that this is a great place to spot moose. Sadly we didn’t see any. We did the hike with a 7 year old and were from Louisiana. Great hike for beginners. When you get to the Y in the trail the left path is a bit easier terrain.

Loved this hike fall colors were great there was
a lot of moose activity
I think the AllTrails description of
“lightly trafficked “ is off I would call it moderate to heavy and it was a Monday night when I went I can’t imagine what it looks like on the weekend.
I will be back love this area

Really loved this hike! The aspens are so beautiful in their fall colors. Leaves have fallen onto the evergreens, making them look like Christmas trees with gold lights. Then at the lake we saw two moose! A word of caution...the trail is not marked once you go up. If you aren't careful coming down you could end up away from your car. Look for a fork to the left to go back down to the Willow Heights trailhead.

Nice short trail, great for trail running!

Hike was great. It’s pretty short (I did not think it was steep as other reviews were) and my kids did great! Probably took 30-40 min with many stops for breaks to get up. Very pretty this time of year

Enjoyable family adventure! Would’ve loved to have come across some wildlife. No moose sighting! Beautiful fall colors. Bit of a climb going in, and the 3 year old had a great time sliding his way back out. We recommend!

Very nice short hike.

Really nice, quick hike to a lake. Beautiful fall colors and saw two moose.

Awesome trail. It levels out after about 20 minutes. Lots of shade for the majority of it. Opens up to a beautiful field with trees if you want to hammock. Ducks at the lake are super friendly

Love the trail. Steep at first but worth the climb. Smithing special about hiking through aspen forests. Ducks are very friendly at the lake. Only reason for the 4 rating is because it’s a busy trail.

Really pretty and good trail

Pretty hike through aspen trees. The beginning is pretty steep, but the hike is so short it's really no big deal. The lake is pretty and if you sit there quietly you will see Moose! We saw 5!

Easy, scenic hike. First things first, parking is along the side of the road, but it’s easy to miss if you don’t know where it is. Although it’s a quick hike up, it’s really steep. Basically no switch backs and just straight up. Even so, only takes around 20 minutes. Once you get to the lake (which is small), the view is beautiful. Lots of aspens and a good view of Solitude. The ducks here are friendly, they swam right over to me, I assume because they expected food. I also saw 2 huge moose, and I went around 1. Good hike if you’re looking for something quick and scenic.

We took a 3 yr old and 5 yr old. They could make it. The three yr old needed some help getting up the steep trail if you stay right going up from the trail head. We came down the other path that ends up in the houses and it seemed easier. Not many people and we saw 5 moose, deer and ducks. We went at about 5pm and came back down with very little light so we caught all the animals coming down for water. It was amazing!

Nice hike through aspen groves to a small lake. Some moderate but not too difficult inclines that our 5 & 7 year-olds were able to handle fine. Trail head was easy to find and follow.

Nice & easy

Thought it was really pretty with all the aspens. Make sure you take the time to pause and look around from time to time, you may be surprised what you see.
Looking forward to experiencing this trail in the other seasons as well.

Beautiful day, nice shady hike through aspen trees. Unfortunately no moose, but our kids loved the friendly ducks who are obviously used to being fed. Fairly steep at first, but flattens out for a nice walk around the lake.

Great hike. The trail can be a little confusing but you should not get lost. We saw a moose.

Delightful hike through the aspen trees.