Willis Creek Narrows Trail

Willis Creek Narrows Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cannonville, Utah that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from April until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

historic site

Family friendly walk in a creek through a slot canyon, excellent for hot days. The approach road is not suitable for sedans as there's a steep, sandy hill just past Cannonville. Creek may dry out in late summer. As with any slot canyon, DO NOT ENTER IF RAIN IS PREDICTED - flash flooding may occur from storms miles away (in this case, in Bryce Canyon National Park). call GSENM Cannonville (435) 826-5640 or Escalante (435) 826-5499 Visitor Center for more information. Beware of sand drifts on the drive in.

This was awesome! I started around 8:00am and only saw a few groups on the way back. I went probably about 2.5-2.75 miles into the canyon as I wasn't sure about where the end of the "trail" was. I checked my guide book eventually and realized I had already passed the "end" - considered where you see a another Creek intersect Willis Creek at about 2.2 miles. Such a cool slot canyon with varying wall heights. Wear hiking sandals. I just walked in the creek the whole way. Dogs would love it, too.

Easy for kids and beautiful. I didn’t love the dirt road to get there.

This is a must-see if you need a slot canyon fix or want to get off the beaten path! There is no cell service, so make sure you have driving directions, inform your people of your plans, and have checked the weather before you leave the highway. The road to the trail head is an adventure in and of itself; a couple creek crossings, some soft steep climbs, gravel/sand/mud the entire way. We started around 8 am, walked out 2.2 miles and then turned back, seeing only two other hiking parties during the 2 hours we spent on the trail. Incredible photo opportunities, beautiful icy cold water, and every slot is a little different than the one that came before. Easily done with families, I would recommend a water resistant shoe; some sucking mud and clay, and a couple of deeper spots to cross. Water was just a few inches in most places on the day of our visit.

Easy trail suitable for families. Not as much shade as you might think, especially at midday. Wear your water shoes and enjoy!

Very fun hike my 8 yr old enjoyed every bit of it the drive is a 6 mile dirt road not a bad drive though fun slot canyon the slot canyon is relative short but fun ....

Beautiful hike; very doable and fun - also with kids due to water element. Would wish it was clearer where the end of the trial is (maybe add some signage). Trip to parking lot with car was fine (first hill is steep and lots of ditches; but AWD did fine). Highly recommended as only a few come here and you are truly in the middle of beautiful nature. Be sure the wear shoes that can get wet and dirty (hiking shoes recommended).

Easy, beautiful hike. My 4 yr and 7 yr old loved it. We all wore water shoes which was the perfect footwear for this hike in July. Passed several hikers in hiking boots and they were hot and envious of our cool wet feet. Take lots of water to drink. Saw a huge bear print in the mud just before the second slot canyon and a snake on the trail. The sandy hill climb at the beginning of road in was a piece of cake for our Jeep Wrangler. Hike is a must see.

My family really enjoyed this trail. Almost all roads in the Grand Staircase are dirt/sand. There is a hill you must drive up on the way in that is bit tricky. I recommend a 4x4 vehicle if possible. Once you get to the trail, it is very easy and beautiful. We went on a Monday and had the canyon to ourselves most of the time. We only passed a handful of hikers during our hike. We love the Narrows in Zion too, but Willis Creek was a lovely way to experience the beauty of a Slot canyon without all the crowds.

Wonderful “easy” way to experience slot canyons. The water was about 4 inches deep when we went today. Perfectly fine for the hike. The less sure footed of the group appreciates walking sticks as the creek is muddy and you can’t see what you are stepping on.

Two tips:
- On the outbound trip, when you see the creek plunge down a hole, look right for a path that will take you down to that lower level. There’s also a path on the left — passable but a little trickier on the ledges.
- If you go beyond the end of the trail described here (keep going down past the confluence), there are amazing sheer high walls about 3 miles in.

Visited this location on June 28. The staff at the ranger station cautioned us about the road conditions. There’s one hill that’s a challenge. It’s very sandy and if you stop on this hill, all bets are off. However if you hit it with a little speed and keep your momentum, you’ll be fine. The hike into the canyon was easy and there was some breezes at times that really made for a pleasant trek. Not many people there so it was peaceful and quiet. You do have to cross or walk through the creek several times. It’s not an issue and most people can do it without getting their feet wet. Carry water with you. It’s not strenuous but it can get hot and you’ll get thirsty. I recommend the hike.

Loved it. The 6 mile dirt road wasn't as bad as mentioned. 2wd should do it. The sandy part is going uphill within the first mile or two so no chance of getting stuck. Just back it up and out and go explore Kodachrome.

Two small waterfalls. The first at the trailhead! Almost went to the "T" but was told there wasn't much to see after the 2nd deep slot canyon. Think that was about 1.6 miles in.

Beautiful hike through some slots. The stream doesn’t have much water. It was a hot day so was nice to be able walk in the cool water. You can also do this hike without walking in water. Not crowded when we went on Wednesday around 2pm. We walked only till the stream pretty much dried up then come back. The slots are amazing

Great trail. one spot drive in, Sandy little sketchy, make sure you commit and see it through, 2wd suv with traction control managed it.

Your perseverance is rewarded with an amazing hike.

Great hike in a slot canyon...nothing truck about the hike, but the drive to get there can be concerning. A recent reviewer mentions cars getting stuck in the sand. In my two-wheel drive rental sedan, I barely made it through that sandy area, glad I did, because the skit canyon was worth the hassle.

Never made it to the trailhead huge ****warning**** to anyone going there are parts of the road to the trailhead that have 2-3 feet of straight sand that one must try to cut through. We came upon a car that was stuck tried to get around then and unfortunately us in an SUV and two other cars got stuck couldn’t make it past two miles into the road leading to trailhead due to the unexpected Indiana jones sand dunes. Have fun!

Easy access to a slot canyon as you can walk right in. It's very popular and apparently horse traffic is allowed because the slot was filled with horse poop. It was a fun, easy hike.

Very nice easy hike with portions of slot style canyon. Did hike late afternoon with my daughters. Passed only a few other hikers so not crowded at all, liked that as well. Creek eventually goes dry after about mile and half. But still very nice.

Great easy hike. BEAUTIFUL slot canyons. Serene if you time it right.

The hike begins with a bang so don’t miss the first carvings into the soft stone and little waterfalls about 200 yards past the trailhead. The first 2 miles or so are like walking through a giant serenity fountain with the burbling of the creek echoing off the canyon walls, punctuated by an occasional bird song. Pause and listen with your mouth closed if you want to really appreciate this hike. Despite what other reviewers noted, we saw very little horse manure, but that certainly will vary depending on whether or not a group with horses went through the day before you, or if it’s been weeks. We hiked June 10, temp was about 80 by late morning, and by about 2 miles in the creek dries. The last part of the hike in has a very different character because of that and is also much more open. It’s a level hike and easy. Highly recommend.

Beautiful trail! Pretty easy hike with gorgeous views.

great 6 mile hike with beautiful waterfalls and rock formations.

watch for horse poop. they should ban horses or make them bag their poop. I have to with my dog. they should with their horses.

My favorite slot canyon so far. Zebra and Tunnel were interesting, but the shapes and colors of Willis are amazing!

Gorgeous hike. Made it up to T intersection. Drive is tough, but was doable in Camry. I saw other sedans as well. So don`t be scared off and do it as long as the weather is good and you drive carefully.

Great slot Canyon with very few people. It took us 4 1/2 hours at a slow pace.

This was an add-on hike while also doing the Panorama Trail and nearby Grand Escalante. We spent ~2 hours hiking up the river through the slot canyons, which were cool to see. Water level was very low. We spent more time avoiding horse poop along the river than worrying about getting our feet wet. I wouldn't call this a destination unto itself, but the canyons are well worth a few hours of your time. Note: the road to the trailhead is unpaved and somewhat long (~8 miles). We were glad we had an SUV with good ground clearance.

This was a pleasant surprise winner of a hike after spending some time in Bryce. The trailhead was less than a half hour from the town of Tropic, and the roadway in only had two patches that were a challenge with water on the road. The slot canyon creek was very low, so easy to hike without waterproof boots, but the evidence of the creek being higher at times was obvious, so be sure to check for rain/flash flooding in the area. We hiked out to the point at which the trail comes to a “T”, but most of the narrow slot portions were within the first mile and a half of the hike if you don’t want to put in the 7 or 8 miles. We did see some wildlife tracks throughout the canyon, so keep your eyes open and hike with a friend. Also, be sure to sign the book at the trailhead!

Extremely dry! A very easy and extremely photogenic Canyon. Hiked in to the “T” junction and went aways around the right after it. We hiked w/a seven year old who had a blast! Highly recommended and very short and easy! Took lots of pictures. Oh,we started in around 9am and there was only one other family in. On the way back out it looked to be getting crowded, lot was full too. The road was smooth, not rough at all. ( rolled up in a Prius C)

Road there was a bit rough, but well worth it. We were the only ones there when we went. Spent a few hours along the trail, and got some amazing photos to remember our hike!

The drive to the trail head may take a while and is best suited for an SUV, but I saw a few sedans at the parking area. Only saw a couple of people during my short hike on some of this trail. Gorgeous slot canyon and the water was fairly low on the day I went hiking. Worth checking out if you are in the area!

Just FYI - I was there three days ago and creek is frozen solid with water running under ice coming from Bryce.

Also - I entered coordinates into 2 different phones and was a little surprised to see the directions send you at least 200 ft passed the parking area and trail head.

The TH is marked and parking area clear so not sure why coordinates are overshooting.