Willis Creek Narrows Trail

Willis Creek Narrows Trail is a 7.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cannonville, Utah that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from April until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

historic site

Family friendly walk in a creek through a slot canyon, excellent for hot days. The approach road is not suitable for sedans as there's a steep, sandy hill just past Cannonville. creek may dry out in late summer. As with any slot canyon, DO NOT ENTER IF RAIN IS PREDICTED - flash flooding may occur from storms miles away (in this case, in Bryce Canyon National Park). call GSENM Cannonville (435) 826-5640 or Escalante (435) 826-5499 Visitor Center for more information.

Just FYI - I was there three days ago and creek is frozen solid with water running under ice coming from Bryce.

Also - I entered coordinates into 2 different phones and was a little surprised to see the directions send you at least 200 ft passed the parking area and trail head.

The TH is marked and parking area clear so not sure why coordinates are overshooting.

Ice on the creek. Fun little drive up and slow going on the ice

Best part ... we had the whole trail to ourselves on 12-28-17

this is the place to go in hot weather (as long as the creek is running), as it's a shady walk in a creek - trailhead is not accessible by smaller cars without power tho as there's a STEEP hill coming from Cannonville. if you walk all the way down to the confluence of Willis and Sheep Creek, and look for the trail (please don't bushwack !!!) there are (damaged) petroglyphs south of the confluence on the west side of Sheep Creek

The hike was beautiful, but I wouldn’t advise hiking this trail if you are driving a sedan. The unpaved road you have to take to access the trail was horrible/dangerous to drive in a sedan (even in dry, beautiful weather). If you are in a truck or SUV, this hike is a great option for a leisurely stroll in a beautiful setting.

You will need to cross shallow water during the hike, so waterproof shoes or water shoes are necessary.

We hiked this trail about a week ago. Some of the road is a bit tricky to drive on since it is loose sand but it was fine in our SUV. I would not attempt this road if it was wet.

It is an easy hike but a lot of it is in an inch or two of water. Water shoes or hiking boots are best. Saw lots of people with improper footwear.

Beautiful trail! Do bring water shoes, but be aware people ride horses here, so there is manure around. So keep it closed-toed.

Really cool slot Canyon. We had no issues with water or mud as the water was at most a few inches deep but it was fairly dry. Fun to play around in. Be warned though, the road there is sand and can definitely get stuck if you aren’t careful. My sedan made it but got stuck on a similar road the next day.

Fantastic trail. Short and easy with great slot canyon views with a small creek. Surprisingly busy for such a remote location.

This is an amazing hike through a few slot canyon narrows. We drove out in our rented Yukon, but I saw a few sedans. I have no idea how those folks got their car back to the trail head.

Definitely bring water shoes. The creek wasn't super high, but you'll be walking through it on several occasions. We hiked to the confluence, and if we had more time, probably would have gone farther.

We only saw a handful of people on the trail, but had it to ourselves for most of the hike. Would definitely hike this again.

Superb fun hike. We drove from Bryce Canyon in a 2WD stationwagon loaded with people and luggage. It had rained a little in the morning which had settled the dust some more after the thunderstorms of the previous afternoons. We arrived around 10am to the car park at the trailhead. The road was passable if a little daunting with some deep sand/ dust and a few washes and some steep inclines and annoying corrugations which slowed us down to 15 mph in parts. (After the hike we continued down Skutumpah road which improved after a few miles as we were headed to Page AZ.)

We started in regular trail shoes and brought water shoes in a backpack as we had read that the trail might be passable without getting feet wet. However, it soon became clear we had to swap to our water shoes as the delightfully brown water was around 6 inches deep between the narrows. We should have started with the water shoes and not muddied our trail shoes!

On the walk down to Sheep Creek we had the place to ourselves and only started to meet others as we were nearing the car park on the return.

There were 2 small waterfalls we needed to detour round.

The water and air temperatures were perfect and the whole trail delightful. One of the best and very much worth the drive.

Everything that is mentioned on AllTrails about this trail is accurate except the location that says Kodachrome Basin State Park! We drove all the way to the park and paid the entrance fee only to find out it is not there! Close though? Yes! The 6mile dirt road to the trail was so worth it, dont turn around!

Dirt road leading to the trail, glad we had 4 wheel drive. Nice slot canyon with a creek running through it. The creek was completely dry after the 1 mile mark or so. Definitely worth doing if you are in the area.

Clearly I'm the outlier here with my three stars, considering the reviews and the recommendations I received from two different park rangers to take this hike. Maybe I should have lowered my expectations. Maybe I should have paid more attention in geology class. Maybe I should admit I've become a dreaded hiking snob. Maybe I should have taken the creek all the way to the end -- but I didn't, having no desire to continue after halfway. I felt like it was just more of the same. I do think it's the perfect hike for a family (friendly brother-sister splashing included) and the creek/canyon provide some respite from the heat. Just not my jam, unfortunately.

The kids loved this trail! Wear your water shoes and they can splash in the creek the whole way.

Easy day hike with numerous shallow stream crossings. Out and back hike that only takes a few hours. Go as early as you can, it is cooler and less people.

super fun hike for the family but try to be done before 2pm. We started to fry.

Got more than I was expecting! Very nice and beautiful hike... My children loved it as well

This trail was great. Took lots of great pictures and enjoyed every minute. This is a very easy trail. I would call it a walk more than a hike. This was my first slot Canyon experience. I will be looking to do more in the future. I don't know if there is water in the creek all year or not, but if there is water I would recommend sturdy water shoe and just walk though the creek when needed. The dirt road out was in good shape and had some great views of the area. The road goes up and down some not like the flat desert road I thought we might have been on.

Lots of slots, running water, and a waterfall. Very nice hike. But lots of people. Dogs loved it.

This trail is great, my lab and I loved it. She got to ply in endless water and I got to look at the amazing scenery. I'd recommend going earlier in the day, it gets pretty hot with limited shade after about two in the afternoon. We went 2.9
Miles out on the trail and never found the end... no one we passed could find it either. However it's an easy trail and fun for the dogs. Be prepared to get your feet wet.