Willard Bay State Park is a 1.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Willard, Utah that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.2 miles Elevation Gain: 9 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paddle sports

beach

Willard Bay is a freshwater reservoir located 12 miles northwest of Ogden on the flood plains of the Great Salt Lake. Several short trails are located in the campground area of the north marina. Boat, swim, waterski, and fish on the warm waters of Willard Bay. Camp under tall cottonwood trees that frame the night sky. During winter months, Willard Bay is a wildlife watching area for nesting eagles. Two areas, North and South Marinas, offer all the amenities for a weekend at the Bay.

fee

I wasn’t sure where AllTrails wanted me to start hiking, so after entering the park, I parked at the Cottonwoods campground. There is a meandering nature trail in that area which is kind of fun if you’re a birder. I walked south along the paved park road and my AllTrails app showed that I was on the right track. AllTrails had me walk down the road until I reached Wiper Cove, a picnic/fishing area. I walked along the shoreline there and found a little grove of trees with a number of songbirds, which was nice. Then I turned around and walked back to my car. I would not recommend this as a hike - it’s a walk along a paved road and through the occasional parking lot - especially because there’s a hefty fee just to enter the park. Fortunately, I own a 2-year state park pass and didn’t have to pay to get in.

Did this just to try a new trail. It’s a $20 entrance fee if you want to park in the park, otherwise it’s a $5 pedestrian fee if you want to park and then proceed through the entrance. Nothing spectacular, bugs are starting to come out.

Sun Apr 23 2017

Car Camping at its average. It was easy to get all 26 of our scouts and 7 leaders a place to sleep but the train came through at 2:00 am and the freeway is only a stones throw away...

Tue Sep 06 2016

It's fun to camp here once a year. The trail is fine, but there are always loads of mosquitoes so I don't use the trail often.

Sat Apr 18 2015

Camp here at least once a year. I try to go in the off season as to avoid the crowds. I have hiked all the trails this park has to offer and spent many hours reeling in fat catfish and yummy walleye. If you have a boat you will enjoy the wiper fishing.

Sun Sep 07 2014

I grew up waterskiing at Willard Bay. Its a nice lake for boating and skiing

Fri May 25 2012

Not really any trails to follow, this is mainly a large bird watching area. The kids, dog, and I did have fun in the tall grass and the amenities were very nice. We'll be coming back to camp.