Wild Horse Window

Wild Horse Window is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Green River, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

Wild Horse Window is an astonishing natural bridge in the Southeastern section of the San Rafael Swell. If you look directly west from the trailhead you will see the cave right from the road. Take the trail taking you down the hill. Continue through the wash and back up the other side and it will lead you to the rock hill you'll need to ascend. After about a mile, you’ll arrive at the opening. There are two openings that make it look like a giant pair of eyes watching over the valley (some have called this the Eyes of Sinbad). On the way back, keep your eye on the right side, as there are a couple of places where you can drop down into the canyon to the north. The canyon can be followed back to near the trailhead, and narrows down for a short stretch to a mini slot canyon.

Special place, short modest hike, easy to find the way back, destination is a special and unique scenic area with Indian art as a bonus. It is a must when near Goblin State Park. I would rate it very doable for most kids.

A great little hike for the whole family !

A little difficult to find the “path”. But we made our own.

It was so beautiful and the “Window” was unlike anything I’ve ever seen!

Absolutely beautiful hike that is worth it at the end. Beware though - the trail is really hard to find, nonexistent if anything and I got lost in the swell at least 2-3 times making this more of a "moderate to difficult" hike versus "easy" on the way back I found the "easy" route that I'd classify as more "moderate" due to having to scramble in a few places.

I hiked with my lab (large dog, about 70lbs) that I had to help on/off steep places so I'd recommend the dog wearing a harness if you bring them. Lots of little pools of water in the swell for her to jump in and cool off for a drink.

The trailhead is also kind of hard to find, there's lots of "unsigned dirt roads" in this area, so just follow google maps and try to find the one that heads closest to the gps coordinates. Also not much cell service so have the coordinates keyed up before you lose signal.

Absolutely worth the hike! The cave is secluded and provides a gorgeous rest stop. Definitely a challenge to follow the trail, though. Get a good idea of where you're going when you start out otherwise you'll lose sight of the cave and get confused in the swell. I'd recommend this to anyone!

Couldn't even find the hike. We tried for a half hour and had To stop cause it got to dark. Wish we could have found it and that the trails were better marked in the whole area!!!

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Super cool hike with pictographs and a massive pour off.

Sunday, June 11, 2017