White Rock Loop

White Rock Loop is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Syracuse, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 708 feet Route Type: Loop

Nice hike with sweeping views of the Great Salt Lake and Antelope Island. I went with a meetup group on September 15, 2019 and this was a challenge for me as a “56 year old, out of shape, newbee”. We hiked clockwise and this got the assent out of the way early making the last 2/3s of the hike a gradual descent. Saw a couple of buffalo in the distance. The trail is in good shape and wide enough to walk side by side with a partner for most of the trip. I recommend you take the following: - Lots of water - I took 1.5 liters and ran out with 1.5 miles to go. - Sunblock - there is NO SHADE and you will bake. - Lunch/Snacks you will want to refuel. - camera - great photo opportunities along the way. - Bug spray - we ran into a few biting flies. But depending on the season I guess they can be a big problem. Our group hiked this In 3H 11M from parking lot to parking lot, (not including our lunch break). We shared the trail with horses and mountain bikers so be alert. There are no water or toilets on the trail. But you will find toilets at the parking lot. Pack out what you take with you. Keep the trail clean! Enjoy!

Not many bugs this time of year. Beautiful panoramic views. Didn’t see many bison.

Not many brine flies this time. No shade so early morning is a good time to do this trail. Saw a heard of bison just off trail. Restrooms are close to trailhead. Fun Trail.

Mtn biked it. Bring face nets and bug spray

Nice MTN trail. Bring the face nets and bug spray though. Saw about 9 bison. 3 where at about 50 yards away from the trail.

I really wanted to like this trail but it is swarming with brine flies! It made the trail unbearable while hiking because they are everywhere. We thought it would get better the further you traveled but it only got worse. We turned around after a mile. If you go I suggest you wear like a bee keepers mask or something because it really is that bad. I researched if brine flies bite and it said they don’t but we ended up having red marks on the back of our necks but they went away after a day.

1st trail ride in my life. We made it to the top of the loop then had to turn around at the 3.?? mile where the map is due to a bike malfunction. Regardless, It was beautiful. We rode from about 4:30pm-6:30pm March 15, 2019 and the weather was perfect. We passed at least 10 bikers, two guys on horseback and 6-8 Buffalo right along the trail. At one point we had to stop and wait 5-10 minutes til the buffalo moved far enough away from the trail so we could pass.

Great views. NO shade. The trail (gate to gate) is 7.2 miles.

Gorgeous views over Salt Lake. There's no shade on the entire hike, so be prepared for that. We extended the hike with a few kilometres, easily done with the connecting Junction and Bone Road Trail.

Saturday, April 14, 2018

First mountain bike ride, it was beautiful. The ascent was a bit challenging heading left/east after the first fork but once you get to the top, the rest of the ride is absolutely worth the climb. Loved it and will be back.

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Went in late March-no bug issues. Little to no shade on trail. Leisurely walking and stopping to enjoy the views-approx 3.5 hour hike. Beautiful views throughout entire trail!

Thursday, March 15, 2018

My husband and I hiked this trail on Saturday March 10. It was a sunny 50 degrees... we regretted not bringing sunscreen! On the day we went, there was actually a race event going on, so for the first 15 minutes, we were cheering on runners as we passed them on the trail. The initial ascent was moderate, but not too grueling, and the rest of the way was more level. We saw one herd of about 100 bison.... very cool to see. The views of the lake and the Wasatch Front were beautiful. We took the optional short side route to the beacon. Pretty neat to see, and good view up there. The backside of the trail was more tedious, with fewer spectacular views. Trail has no shade, so be prepared! Overall a nice, unique hike!

Thursday, March 01, 2018

Excellent ride today. 37 degrees. Sunny. Varying conditions. Snow, sand, mud, gravel. Many bison around. More than I've seen in 20 yrs of riding here.

Sunday, February 04, 2018

Great trail loop!

Friday, December 22, 2017

Awesome!

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Nice and very easy trail.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

A very unique place

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Cool scenery but the bugs kind of ruin it. Be prepared to get eaten alive by mosquitos!

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Amazing views especially if you go at sunset. Watching the sun set over the Great Salt Lake is really beautiful. Bison a few yards from the trail were a nice diversion from the sunset.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

this place should really be named "bug island" or "bison island" instead. 3 car washes later, the SUV is still covered with dead bugs. >:/

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Amazing island! Just watch out for those bugs. I went April 14th and it was in the 50s so the bugs weren't too bad. But I can't imagine it being tolerable with anymore

Monday, April 17, 2017

Amazing!

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

Beautiful hiking with lots of trails. Got a late start to the day- so while had only few hours to hike, had awesome sunset views over the lake as the sun was setting. Will absolutely go back again. There April 2: mosquitoes were annoying at lower elevation, not so much the higher we climbed. Considering it was still getting into the 30s at night- I can well imagine bugs could be an issue in warmer months. Saw plenty of buffalo, birds. No antelope sadly. The geology of the island itself is fascinating. You can literally see/feel the the evolution of the island while walking.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

great for snowshoeing, and animal spotting.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Good trial

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Took the mountain bikes on this trail, it was a lot of fun

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Lots to see. Many trail options.